My version of a Trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting ready for a few camping trips I decided to update a few things on the trailer. I removed the vent I had in the side and put an access hatch so I good get to the batteries, inverter and charger without having to take the deck out of the inside.

trailer-updates-1.jpg

trailer-updates-2.jpg

I also installed an outdoor shower box for rinsing off and the occasional shower. I also have a shower enclosure and use the solar shower bag. I like using the bag because it prevents any one from over using the water. The shower will be plumbed into the lines going to the sink in the rear.

trailer-updates-4.jpg

trailer-updates-5.jpg

The last thing I did was at a propane bottle bracket. I kept looking (as others have) for the correct solution for my trailer. I was going to use the XL Quick Fists as they have and extremely high rating, but I decided I wanted the tank on the tongue rather than against the box. I ended up bending some 2"x 3/16" strap on my harbor freight bender. Making 90* bends is about all I use it for and it does the job well. I made a 1/4 cage crossed with a full cage that is hinged on the top and uses a heavy locking clasp. It is bolted to the tongue.

trailer-updates-6.jpg

trailer-updates-3.jpg

The last thing I hope to get done before the trip is the installation of the under body water tank and gray water tank. This will open up considerable storage space and lower the COG even more, as well as move the water weight centered over the axle.

Nice improvements and upgrades .....kinda like trying to improve a Van Gough

I'm ready to see some action shots though....:D

Be well, Pat

:D

and here is some more

Finally got the water storage and waste water tanks. I ended up using Plastic-Mart. They had reasonable prices and I found nearly the exact sizes I needed.

The water tank is just a basic unbaffled 20 gallon tank. All fittings are customizable. I just put a vent, drain and fill fitting.

water-tanks-03.jpg

The tank was fitted up for marking holes then temporarily strapped up with plastic plumbers tape.

water-tanks-05.jpg

water-tanks-06.jpg

For the waste tank I decided to use a standard RV drain valve. Time will tell if this was a good idea. It sits pretty tight up to the frame behind the spring shackle. This tank came pre-molded with a 3" drain and is tapered at the back, just enough to tuck up to the rear frame member. I had a 1 1/4" fill and 3/4 vent fitting added. I got a 3"-1 1/2" adapter and the valve at the local RV repair store and the ABS fittings at the hardware store.

water-tanks-02.jpg

water-tanks-08.jpg

water-tanks-09.jpg

water-tanks-10.jpg

I will get some 1/16 or 1/8 bar stock/strap, add some bends for soft corners and bolt it up to the frame using Rivnuts. This is how my Land cruiser gas tank is mount so I think it will be adequate for the trailer.

This moves the water from inside the trailer in a forward position do directly over the axle. There is just about the same amount of room between the bump stops and the springs as there is between the axle tube and the tank. I may add a little aluminum skid shield to protect the hoses and fittings. This would be attached to the tank straps.

Next I'll get it all plumbed up and the new water pump installed. It will be nice to not have to carry the role around waste water tank.

looks like a clean install. almost looks done with just the plumbers tape! heh. are you going to put s skid plate under it?

looks like a clean install. almost looks done with just the plumbers tape! heh. are you going to put s skid plate under it?
I got the metal straps done, pictures later today. I plan on a skid plate of some sort but will give it a try without.

It would be nice comma if said trailer expert would devulge his sources for the new doors and shower box.

Tough to keep a leg up when you make it too hard to copy..:rolleyes:

Pat

PS Were the rear drop leg jacks everything you thought they would be ?(ie. stable, solid)

Last edited:
Here are a few of the trailer in action on a recent camping trip to the Naches Ranger district.

Naches-2009-sm-04.jpg

Naches-2009-sm-03.jpg

Naches-2009-sm-06.jpg

A few of the tank straps. Turned out pretty well. No sign of failure yet but the center of the water tank may need a little more support.

Photo_080409_sm_007.jpg

Photo_080409_sm_006.jpg

I was able to gain a lot of space in the trailer by moving the water tank underneath. I rearranged the batteries to help maximize this space.

Photo_080409_sm_001.jpg

Photo_080409_sm_002.jpg

Photo_080409_sm_004.jpg

And one of the second tank straps. I used the XL quick fist straps. They are just big enough for the smaller tanks and hold it quite well.

Photo_080409_sm_003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom