Builds My Tonka Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got Tonka back early this month,m before the Rona hit. She's rolling very nicely with a baby 3FE (150,XXX miles) from a guy doing a V8 swap. A YEAR of waiting, and she's back! Now, my to do list is longer... With the clutch, my seat is wearing away differently. The last bit of cushion is now almost gone... Need sound deadener and carpet, and an overall refresh behind the dash and in the doors (radio is scratchy, and door locks and window motors are iffy). My biggest question is what colors I should go with!

Today, I started the interior restoration on my Tonka truck. Took out the seats and mats (carpet has been out for a while). Found some gems under the seats. Tomorrow, while my mech is adjusting the valves, I'll be scrubbing and prepping for the pack of Kilmat I got last week.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200505140423837.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200505152217775_COVER.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200505152331684_COVER.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200505150657134.jpg
IMG_20200505_145730.jpg

It was strange, a I was taking off the last pieces of matting that I could peel off the floor, and unbolting the seats, I felt a sense that I was pulling up history. 31 years ago, these parts were put together to make this truck, MY truck. I felt like I shouldn't be bothering it, like I'm disrupting history. I know this seems ridiculous, but with this truck being in my family since I was born, it hits different. Every step of the way, I've battled whether to keep the truck original, or take liberties to make it mine. End of the day, I want this truck to be our adventure truck, our family getaway, our bug out rig, but most of all a truck to make memories. That isn't made with aesthetics and factory specs. Plus, I ain't got that kind of money. Idk, just random feels from a land cruiser owner.

Cool. I always remember your thread bc your kid on the hood reminds me so much of my guy...he rode home in the Cruiser too.
Hard to believe he’s at home tonight on Gringo de Mayo making margaritas with us.

Awesome bloodline with your rig, great job putting him to work on it.

Thanks! Jeez, that's a scary thought, my kids getting that old... I know it'll happen, but just a wild thought.

With the trucks, my dad really started it with his 83 pickup, OK, The Project BEGINS!!!. Its just kinda been a thing for us. So now, I have my cruiser and a 2010 Taco that I just got the title for from the bank! Eventually, I'd like to add a 4runner to the mix, but my garage isn't big enough for everyone as it is, between two trucks, work truck, and spare parts for the cruiser! Such is the life of running an old truck. I'll keep you all posted! I'll throw out a "To Do" list in the next week with what I'm looking at doing.

Ok, I'm at a crossroads. I'm one case of Kilmat into my sound deadening project. Next is carpet, then I'll start working the door refurbs. But, what color do I go with??? I have brown interior, which I'm not thrilled with. But, if I go through with swapping, I'm swapping EVERYTHING! Switches, seatbelts, dash, steering wheel, etc. I've been scrolling through threads like a teen with a Playboy (reading every article ;)), but haven't been inspired... I've thought about getting Tonka painted the dark blue/charcoal color, but I'm not 100%. I just want to have options. Is the color swap worth it? Maybe go halvsies on the swap? I've hit a wall...

@tonka az well, I can tell you that my truck looks basically like yours in many ways. its also champagne, 1989 - has 252k on original 3FE.

Has a brown interior that my wife hates - so about 9 months ago I started acquiring all of the parts - dash, seat belts, bezels, steering wheel etc.

If you like collecting old land cruiser parts doing an interior swap is the way to go. It does not come cheap unfortunately or too easily - since many of the interior parts are NLA.

Whatever you choose good luck! Happy to see another mudder working through a rebuild.

IMG_20200322_105744666_HDR (1).jpg

I say no-go on the interior color swap.

It’s a ton of stuff to collect to make it right...and pretty much everything you need is used and for sale for a reason. I sourced stuff for an OEM-correct door swap numerous years ago, it took quite awhile to find the right stuff and a lot of the pieces were hit or miss on condition.
Accept the dated vintage interior for what it is...unique to the vehicle and era, and make it the best darn brown interior on your block.

So, I got the back seat heater out and I put down the last of the Kilmat on the floor, and oh my its made a difference! I changed the diaphragm on the transfer case, and was going to swap the evaporator for the ac. It would have been easier to dismantle the truck around the evaporator than take the evaporator out. Now, I can't get it back in, so I'll just concede and use this as an opportunity to clean up everything under the dash. Standby for my dash to be completely dismantled!

So, I have replaced the evaporator and expansion valve. The evaporator didn't want to fit, so a clamp and spit was able to get the pipes to fit in the grooves of the evaporator case. Finally. I took out the blower and air vent system just left of the evaporator that switches circulating to outside air. I will need to get into the switch assembly because trying to switch from inside air to outside is impossible, and I ruled out the lever system on the vent side.

I was able to get the system charged, and its blowing cool, at least, so hopefully the wife will let me take the fam in Tonka instead of cramming everyone into Lana (our 2010 Taco). 2 average height adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs is a tight fit in a DCSB Taco.

I got carpet from @dnp a few days ago, and it is BEAUTIFUL! The new carpet, plus the Kilmat, it is starting to feel like a luxury vehicle instead of a clunky truck! BUT, my dumb self made the ultimate mistake... First, if you are doing ANY work on your truck, don't do it outside, in the heat. Especially in the middle of summer. In Phoenix. When its 115F.

First, I trued to hustle through install, neglecting David's recommendation of using a pencil soldering iron to cut the holes. Luckily, I didn't mess anything up, but trying to get the cargo area carpet secured under the threshold was rough.

Second, TAKE YOUR TIME!!! I didn't, and kinda messed up the back seat piece. I used the old carpet as a template (BTW, if you want old carpet, hit me up!). I cut holes where I didn't really need holes, and cut holes where I thought I needed them. It was rough, but it'll do.

My biggest mistake was the front seat. Don't forget, I have swapped from A440 to H550. So, I put the front seat carpet piece in the front seat and start sizing up. I see a part that isn't seating. What is that? Oh, just the parking brake. Ok, I'll just cut a quick, small hole so I can size up for the shifters. I use the original carpet as a template, and find a hole that is about where the parking brake is. I cut the hole, half the size of the original hole, so I don't just cut a huge hole when I don't need to. I feed the parking brake through the hole, and see that the floor bat installed in the carpet is a little further back than it should be- its not under the pedals. That's weird. Wait. No. I didn't. You go tot be kidding. I didn't. I can't be "that guy." No. Did I just? Yup. I did, didn't I. I can't believe it. The hole I traced was for the original A440 shifter, not the parking brake. I'm an idiot...

End of the story, if anyone needs a brown front seat carpet piece, brand spankin new from DNP, specifically for an FJ62, or a truck with an A440, hit me up. Price to sell so I can get a little bit toward a new front seat carpet for round 2... I hurt so bad inside....my sunburn doesn't help...

Last edited:
Well, I believe I have an exhaust leak. I'll be taking it in for that fix, and some other little squeaks and such, since my mechanic is going onto bigger and better things in the next month. I want my baby to be good to go for as long as possible.

My bigger issue is what to do with the old transmission, which is still sitting in my backyard, and getting a good plan for the interior. I have a deal to sell my new carpet that I cut a hole for the automatic shifter (which is wrong), and I'll buy a new set for a new front seat piece. I have my old center console that I will probably put up for sale, and either buy a prefab metal console, or build my own, which will take forever and probably never get done.

Anyone have suggestions on any of the above? What about the plastic pieces of molding on the "D" pillars? Anyone still use those? I have all these pieces of molding that I'm 50/50 on keeping...

So, went hunting, unsuccessfully. Figured I'd lure everyone into my post...

So, I've had an issue with my highbeams for a while, they start heating up wires in the steering column and I can smell it. Not good. I've have halogen bulbs for a while, but they're a bit better than your average. Recently, I've noticed the blue highbeam light flicker when my headlights are on. Today, I started my truck, and the dash won't light up, and the radio won't turn on. I've read around, but didn't find a thread that matched my problem. I'm no wiring expert, but I'd assume its a ground issue somewhere. Am I correct in assuming its a ground issue? If so, where would the circuit be grounded? Or, is it an issue with the switch assembly as a whole?

20211029_181155.jpg

20211102_173825.jpg

20211104_133844.jpg

Do you have the FSM and wiring diagram? Ground points are listed, maybe you should try finding them all and cleaning.
From memory i think there's one or two up in the kick panel for all relays and cluster grounds. Actually both ps and ds.
They can get funky after moisture in the footwell and especially a leaking front windshield.

...found it...I went backwards and found it was a frayed fusible link, after I tore apart my dash....any suggestions for replacements or modifications? I hate the gaggle coming off the positive.... well, I'll get back to restoring the inside of my dash, since I'm here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom