Builds My Tonka Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now is the upgrade that forced me to learn and build at the same time- the aux fuse block!

I know lots of people have used the Blue Sea blocks and had a lot of success, but I wanted to have full control of customization, and have all the relays and fuses in the same unit. Basing my premise on SlcFJ62's product (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/auxiliary-fuse-relay-panel.352802/).

Using a Bussman Mini Fuse and Micro Relay holder as my base, I rigged this up!

IMG_3206.JPG
IMG_3207.JPG

The positive is bussed, so I ran my fuses off that side. I just linked the positive on the odd circuits to my relays, and daisy chained my grounds down and out to my ground. For the line from the switches, I used CAT5 wire, which actually worked GREAT! Right now, I just have two lights and my CB running through it, but eventually I want to have one line going to a Blue Sea Fuse block just for my radio stack, then the other lines for plugs and accessories in the back, but that won't be for a while.

I ran an 8 gauge line off the positive of the battery with an inline fuse. That goes into a relay switched by the ignition from the ACC fuse. That way things don't get left on and kill my battery. I'll add more pics when I upgrade the setup to exactly what I want. I have a switch box coming that will help clean things up.

Using the WeatherPak plugs are absolutely sexy. Such an easy install, and such a clean, pro look.

Now, the headlights.

Yes, yes, we all know how AWESOME 62 lights are (nooooooot). I want to build an independent harness for the headlights and run it through my block, but I just haven't done it yet. First, throw in the new boxes and bulbs and see what we got.

I used ceramic headlight conversion plugs (about $6) and Hella conversion headlight boxes (about $50 a box). The bulbs were Flosser Halogen H4 bulbs (http://www.ebay.com/itm/131393625894).

IMG_3714.JPG

Install wasn't horrible. The only issue was figuring out which wire of the harness should be connected to which wire from the original plug. After enough touching live wires together, I figured it out. Very scientific. Once everything was soldered and put back, here's what I got!

IMG_3719.JPG

This is regular running lights. Left is new bulbs and shiny new box. Right is the old bulb and tired, faded box. I'm happy with what I got for them being halogen. Yes, they are a lot brighter than what I had, but are still yellow. I am expecting a good upgrade when I upgrade the gauge of wire to the bulbs, and make sure I have good grounds. After everything was said and done, my passenger side is still a bit dimmer than the driver side.

I ran the outer lights to go highbeam when highbeams are on, and the inner lights go driving lights when highbeams are on to give a wider illumination. Thoughts?

Oh ya, I did this, too!

IMG_3721.JPG
IMG_3722.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG

The shovel and axe are mounted with QuickFists. The HiLift is held up with ghetto bots and wingnuts. The previous owner of the roof rack said the HiLift should go right on the bolts that are welded to the uprights on the rack. They're off by maybe a half inch. I was SO bummed. Oh well! Everything is still coning along nicely! Now, standby for the OME LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (in the mail now)

Fantastic, kindof astounding how many people on here got 60's from their parents.
I'll be watching this thread, it's shockingly similar to my story. Wedding pics and all.

Now that you have the history, here is where I'm at now:
View attachment 1027055 View attachment 1027056
I am planning to add an OME lift by summer, add some 33" tires, and find the rear bumper of my dreams (something like the Slee bumpers for the 80's).

I currently have all the LED's to replace the dash and exterior lights except for blinkers and brake lights. I have a Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS coming in the mail. My big stopping point is finding the best power distribution setup for my lights, radios, etc. I know the Blue Sea fuse block exists, but has no relay spots. I'm planning on adding more lights, plugs, and things. I'd like to have an auxiliary power distribution system set up now, and build as I have time and money.

I'm still a noob at this, so anything you all have to add or suggest, please don't hold back!

Happy Mudding!

I love the shot of your kiddo on the hood...he's a dead ringer for my son when he was a little chunk at that age, same serious/skeptical expression and all. Been laughing since I first saw this pic. Both my kiddo's first ride was in the Cruiser coming home from the hospital.

He's 14 now and trying to lay claim to my rig....geez!

Oh ya, in honor of my dad getting his '83 SR5 getting restored (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ok-the-project-begins.834914/), I decided to do a special build for my son. For his first truck, it had to be something worthy to be in this family of Toyota's, something dependable, reliable, and able to take on the world. Of course, I chose a Cozy Truck.

IMG_3350.JPG

But this was for my son! I couldn't just throw together some cliche toy truck and call it done! It had to be a REAL truck! So, cue the painting montage!

An actual 22R?!? In a kid's truck!?! Noooo, that's ridiculous and overkill......

Working headlights, on the other hand, are absolutely required.

IMG_2099.JPG

And the finished product!!! Complete with spray-in bed liner in the truck bed AND underside for increased durability, even in the most extreme terrain. Bed liner also on the roof handle gives parents better grip for tighter handling, and a neat cubby on the roof for dad's phone. Behind the driver seat is a two cup cupholder, one for the busy (aka small child), and one for dad! Bright headlights are included, run from an 8 AA battery pack installed in the engine compartment, with a light up switch in the dash, easily accessible by the busy! Spray painted chrome steelies and grill and killer paint job all included. All this can be yours for the low price of a ridiculous amount of dad hours, cans of paint, and times the wife said, "Its a kid's truck. Calm down. It's ok if it's not perfect."

IMG_3581.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2375.JPG

Based on the original:

IMG_2976.JPG

So, I finally pulled the trigger on the final BIG restoration project on my Tonka Truck- Suspension and Steering!!!!!

After talking with the pros at Cruiser Outfitters, I picked up an Old Man Emu Delux kit (of course!), mediums in front and heavies in back.

IMG_3877[1].JPG

And since I was lifting the truck from its lowly height (I had 1.5" between bump stop and spring), I figured new boots would be in order. Besides, I don't want my truck looking like this!

Skip Leg Day.jpg

So, some new boots were in order:

IMG_3882[1].JPG

After a week at Camelback Toyota, the truck was finally done! And looked like a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TRUCK!!!

IMG_3917[1].JPG

After the next rains in Phoenix, a couple friends and I are going to get a little dirty......standby for some dirty pics of my Tonka!!!

So, I have an issue starting. If the truck has sat in the driveway for a day, I'll go to start it, and it has trouble turning over. I'll be all the way on the gas turning the key for 8 to 10 seconds, or I'll have to turn the key a second or third time. Any ideas?

Well, I'm driving my Tonka truck with new legs, feet, and shoes, and I love it!!!! It rides like an FJ Cruiser- the truck feels stuck to the ground like a tank!

IMG_3982.JPG
IMG_3978.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG

Buuuuut, now there's a new problem. With the lift, I also threw on a transmission cooler, and its in the middle of the radiator. I figure that would be the reason my engine is running a touch hotter than normal. Ok. Also, after the lift, my top speed is 65mph on flat road. First, is this normal? Rebuilt 3FE, A440 transmission, everything else stock. Why would I go from hitting 80 on the highway to 65 being my absolute top?

Anyway, here's when things get bad.....

I went to Flagstaff yesterday, just north of Phoenix. Its a 140 mile trip for me, and its a lot of hills. Going up to Flagstaff, the truck was slow (typical of a 3FE going uphill). Problem was, I'd end up going slower with each hill, while staying at about 2000 to 2500rpm..... Coming back down from Flagstaff, it got worse. Not only was my top speed on a very slight uphill grade 35-40mph, I was overheating! Even coasting downhill, it wasn't cooling off. After about 100 miles of mostly DOWNHILL, my transmission temp light comes on, and I start to get a whine from the transmission......

My transmission pump was replaced a month ago, and torque converter was rebuilt at the same time.

Here are the hard questions. First, what's going on with my truck? Could it be the bigger tires? More stress on the transmission that it can't take??? Are my issues due to a weak drivetrain to begin with, or something dun got broked?

Second question, should I look at going to my dream drivetrain? This truck isn't going anywhere anytime soon. My parents bought it new, I've had it since I had a license. I'm gonna keep it on the road. My dream is to put a Vortec and H55F into my Tonka truck. Should I start looking around at options to make this happen before I'm stranded, or run with what I got til it breaks? After having the engine rebuilt, radiator replaced, weak points in my transmission being replaced, I thought I was out of the woods and could trust my Tonka......

It's your new bigger tires ( what size, btw??), a taller vehicle to catch more wind resistance, and an aging A440f auto trans...which don't age well once they start having problems.
So, D) All of the above.

Thank god the 62's at least got the 4.11 gears.

Since your 3FE is rebuilt, start with the H55F. Whole different animal with a 5 spd, ditch that dying auto.

If you want a v-8, stick with a GM trans and use an adapter to the Toyo split case.

Someone responded! Yay! I put 33's on my truck. I shouldn't jump to the 4.88's?

I like your plan throw in the h55f, but what's all included? So many threads seem to have different issues, obstacles, and needed parts. Maybe because this is the first time I'm seriously looking, but I haven't found a straight forward swap......

For the motor, I know my options include the vortec, diesel, 2f, but what else? It would be amazing to put in a Tundra motor.....

With the auto you have a little bit of leeway for having lower geared diffs. I'm sure 4.88's would be fine.

But would 4.88's or 4.56's, or anything higher than the stock 4.11's fix my overheating and power problem, or am I looking at a bigger trans issue? If I have one more trans issue, I swear, I'm putting in an h55......hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom