My stereo upgrade so far in 2001 LX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In case this will help anyone in the future, this is some pictures of my stereo upgrade so far on my 2001 LX 470

Kenwood Excelon Double Din with Apple Airplay and backup camera.

Focal K2 4" two way components for center channel
Focal K2 6.75 three way components in the front doors
Focal K2 6.75 two way components in the rear doors
Focal K2 4" two way components behind the 3rd row

JBL MS8 DSP and surround sound processor where the ML amp used to be.

270a alternator and Group 27F battery under the hood. Two auxiliary batteries where the factory sub used to be.

Still building the box for two AudioFrog GB10D2 in 1.5 cu Ft each ported, two Arc Audio 1200.6 xDI and the passive crossovers. Hopefully I should have everything installed in another week.

IMG_1943.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

More Pictures

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

Doors & panels back together

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

Sub'd

Heck Yeah! You almost never see dudes droppin' systems in any more. I am stoked to watch this one come together. I have really enjoyed Focal speakers for over 20 years now. It was cool to see them enter the mobile audio scene. What are your plans for the sub box? I have found a tan vinyl that is dead on for the OEM color but it isn't a 4 way stretch... but it looks like you won't need it on a squared off box.

Here is the nicest build I have seen in a 100 to date...

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser DynAudio, Zapco, Illusion Blame it on Neslon nepl29 70 PICS! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Last edited:
I read that Land Cruiser's build log before I started building mine. Top Quality installation!

I was trying a little something different with my system. I was trying my best to simulate as much as possible Andy's with AudioFrog Mercedes surround sound. He says (and I believe him) that you can get a wider image by placing the speakers high in the doors, use a center channel processor and speaker. Keep the speakers out of the kick-panels or A-Pillars.

I did this in 1990 on a Ford Probe (without all the DSP processing they have now). The Probe still sound amazing compared to most car installs.

I thought about putting subs where they are installed in this 1999 Land Cruiser but, I didn't know if they would be loud enough for my satisfaction in a 7.1 surround sound system. I am not a basshead by any means but, I also don't listen to Jazz and Classical either. I like old Rock, Rap & Country.

Also, my Vinyl guy is supposed to be working on the Vinyl but, I don't know if he has found any yet.

Looking great! You're reward is just ahead of you boss, keep it up. You got some serious $$$ wrapped up in all that FOCAL equipment. I remember buying them back in the late 90's out of Germany for about $50/driver.

Thanks for all the replies.

It is almost finished & I finally got to listen to it!

It has a couple of bugs left to get out but, man does it sound clean!!!

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

Are those 10's? Are you running a ported box? It looks nice and big, and the the logo emboss came out great. Are you installing and building or sourcing it out? Any SPL loss with those subs firing so close to the tailgate? Again, awesome build.

Are those 10's? Are you running a ported box? It looks nice and big, and the the logo emboss came out great. Are you installing and building or sourcing it out? Any SPL loss with those subs firing so close to the tailgate? Again, awesome build.

Thanks & yes, they are AudioFrog 10" GB10D2 subs in a maxed size ported box. I think the subs sound better facing the tailgate.

I tuned it a little this afternoon & the sound is unbelievable! I would love to skip work tomorrow & tune it properly but, it will have to wait until Sat.

I bet it sounds great. I'd love to hear what kind of front stage you can get in a 100. I quit the audio game before the DSP's became so prevalent and never installed something that high end in a SUV. Mostly worked on sports cars so the imaging of the front stage was pretty straight forward, there is a lot of room in a 100 for sound to bounce around in. Enjoy your work man, if it sounds half as good as it looks you'll be all set.

Inspiring work! Cant wait to see the final pics.

I fired it up last night and put a quick tune on it. All I can say is that it sounds amazing!!!

I don't care what anyone says but, I haven't found anything that sounds better than a JBL MS-8 in full 7.1 surround sound. It sounds as close to live as I have ever heard in a car and I am almost afraid to tune it anymore!

I will post up some finished pictures as soon as I can take some in the daylight.

Nice install! I'm doing a much smaller scale headunit install on my 98 (non nakimichi) and even though it's working I get some pretty noticeable hissing when the volume is turned down. I read somewhere that it might be my ground but I tapped the headunit ground into the wire 11 in the diagram (brown). Is there a better place for ground somewhere that I can try?

oPhIF7W.png

Nice install! I'm doing a much smaller scale headunit install on my 98 (non nakimichi) and even though it's working I get some pretty noticeable hissing when the volume is turned down. I read somewhere that it might be my ground but I tapped the headunit ground into the wire 11 in the diagram (brown). Is there a better place for ground somewhere that I can try?

Are you using the headunits built in power, aftermarket amp or factory amp?

Someone else will have to help you out with a factory amp situation. I didn't listen to my OEM system for a week before I ripped all of mine out. Most of my ML speakers foam had rotted away, so I had to replace them anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom