My scratch built 40 series trailer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What springs are you using? Looks really good, enjoying your workmanship..:popcorn:
I had a set of aftermarket front springs just sitting in the shed so I used them under it. They are a 3" raised set that I used to run in the shorty.

Great work!
Looking forward to the finished product.

Thanks Mark, I just found you trailer thread & thought how come nobody has done that before. Awesome.

I'm still trying to decide where to put the spare wheel. I modified an old spare carrier this afternoon to see if I like it on the back or not. I need to make up my mind because if it goes on the back I'll have to put the anchor plates in the frame before I put the skin on.

http://s219.photobucket.com/user/pistnbroke2/media/Trailer build/photo147_zpse59e720d.jpg.html

Is that a swing out carrier from a 40?
I like the design.
Thanks for the complement on my build.
I am handy, although I wish I had your skills and ideas.

Great build.

Yeah Mark, it was the carrier that was on my car. I extended the cross bars years ago to put the spare in the centre of the shorty because I had tail light in the body.
So I cut the extension out and shortened the bars a little more & welded the hinges back on.

Did a little bit more this arvo.

I added some more rails to support the draw bar & then finish welding the trailer chassis. I just have to add mounts to it now to bolt the body down to.

I also wasn't happy with the angle of the shackles. I did a bit of suspension test (jumping up & down on the trailer) & the rear of the springs were bottoming out on the chassis, so I cut off the mounts & moved them back a bit.

I also had a bit of a think about the position of the spare. I measured the tow ball weight & it looks like it will have to sit up front because with it on the back it is actually lifting the weight off the tow ball.

The coupler is one I just bought at a local auto parts store. They are a standard 50mm quick release hitch that we have to have for registration. I will put an offroad style hitch on it later.

Work has had me tied up coming in to the holiday season, I really wanted to get some time in on it but it just hasn't happened. I'm hoping to get some time on it soon though. I hate having a project just sitting idol.

Great job! Of coarse Im biased but I love FJ40 trailers.

Well, the holiday season is nearly finished & that means I shouldbe able to get back into the trailer because work will slow down a bit & time should free up for me again. So here's hoping things will start happening again.

Finally got a chance today after work to get back onto the trailer. It was only for a little while this arvo but I made a start on sheeting the outside.

Drilling spot weld holes. Not sure if I will continue fixing the sheeting on this way because it sucks as a job. :frown:

Not the best job & it's going to take some body work to tidy it up so it looks neat. :bang:

Last edited:
More work on what's been called Project TOW40.
Got one side almost finished as far as sheet metal welded on goes.

I cut one of the tops down for a bit of a mockup just to see how it would look.

I have to get a piece of sheet bent up to fix to the inside of the panel work to take the waves out that you can see in the pic.

Best project going on mud right now. Awesome job.

Instead of drilling you want to punch those holes.

Astro608STFlangePunch.jpg

Put another few hours in on it today & this is where I'm up to.

Started tacking the second side on the trailer.

Here's a shot of how I got around the corners.

After I got it all tacked on I took it out of the shed for a couple of pics & also it gave me room to clean up some mess.

And a full shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom