My sagging seat back cargo net fix. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure how many of you have the issue with the cargo net cord that holds the seat back cargo net secure being worn out. It loses it's stretch then sags open.

I decided to fix it with the locking shoe laces lock which you see on lots of outdoor sport shoes, backpacks and gear. Plus this adds a tad bit of outdoor cool factor to the interior of your 80.

I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Here is what I did.

Purchased the loc-laces from Amazon for about $7 shipped. These are the kind I bought and think I gave about $4.50 not including shipping. Amazon.com: Lock Laces: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31LIIpxG4dL.@@AMEPARAM@@31LIIpxG4dL

I got the grey thinking the lock was grey but the lock is white. Here is what the cargo nets were like before and what I used. Lock laces, multi tool and lighter. That is it.
100_5655 [Cargo lock lace].jpg
100_5654 [Cargo lock lace].jpg

Last edited:
I cut the old bungie support lace in the center. I found this by pulling what stretch was left of it out and down. The net has nine openings across the top so the opening in the center will have four to each side of it.
100_5656 [Cargo lock lace].jpg

I then slightly melted each end to keep it from fraying. I am using the old lacing supports as they are strong and attached at each end. They just have no stretch left.

I then slid the lock lace onto the old lacing/bungie. I put them on so the writing on the lock lace was up right and when you want to release it you naturally push with your thumb from the top.
100_5657 [Cargo lock lace].jpg

I then simply tied a knot in each end and cinched the lock lace up tight. This holds them up securely and neatly. When you want to put something in just squeeze and open. Cinch back up to secure.

Very simple and inexpensive fix. Those sagging nets were an eye sore for me and not useable.

I will note that the original lacing has to be pulled through the netting and re-weaved so that both come out in the center opening. Pretty simple to figure out when you look at it.
100_5658 [Cargo lock lace].jpg
100_5659 [Cargo lock lace].jpg
100_5660 [Cargo lock lace].jpg

Last edited:
One last picture.

If you notice, you will want to start threading the lace from the back of both outer most net openings first. Then weave back and forth till the center. This way when you get to the center opening, both sides will be coming out of the cargo net from the back of this center opening.
100_5661 [Cargo lock lace].jpg

Last edited:
That looks a whole lot better than the Boy Scout knots I put in ours.:cheers:

...oh, and as a bonus. Since it appears the locks are either black or white, just buy some laces in the color you may need for some shoes. Mine are going in some Merrells soon. I will just use the old locks on those.:beer:

Last edited:
Ive run the Lock Laces in all my shoes for the past 2 years or so. Love 'em.

Great Idea!! - I too have a crappy looking one b/c I throw loose golfballs / scorecards / gloves in it after a round, but it barely holds those as bad as mine has gotten.

I'll be copying your idea - thx for sharing!

My nets are saggy too. :D

Thx...great mod/fix. Ordering some blk ones.

Nice fix. I'm going to order black ones. Thanks!

*FWIW if you really wanted to go full out you can also undo the bottom of the seat covers enough to get a small ratchet with the correct screwdriver attachment into there and undo the plastic surround. You then can use the laces also and replace the worn out cord as a whole on both sides having it return to a factory appearance. Takes a ton more time though. ;)

Where's Shane (AATLAS1X) with the kit for these? :lol:

I think I have seen the older toggle locks at Ace hardware... Or maybe you could get some from a camping store. I think about these things cause I am inpatient:)
AR

Great idea, any problem with it catching on the 2nd row seats when you fold them up?

I like simple and cheap fixes like this. Thanks for sharing!

Another fix

You can go to any camping store and buy the cord that goes inside the colasable tent poles, they sell it in three colors that I know white,tan and green. cut a little more than the length of the seats and tie a small knot at each end. Looks almost factory as long as you get the correct color. I purchased a roll that could do about 10 seats for about 4 bucks. Like your idea too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom