My new HDJ81 almost burnt last night! What happened? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

70sguy said:
If all else fails I rumaged around the shop and I do have a used Genuine 24volt
1HD-T/HZ starter on hand. It has been tested and is good to go.

Sheldon

oh man... good find!! he'll be happy if the other doesn't work out.

nickw said:
Hey guys,

As far as I know the other starter is 24v.
I am not 100% sure its for a Hino, but I think it is.
Eiether way, from what I am told, its for my engine.
Brand new, just not OEM.

The starter is located in Toronto. I can pay for express shipping, but I think I might go ground to save some money.

4WheelAuto called my back this morning (after ordering my other starter). He said he can get me a OEM starter from Japan. The list price is $1300. But he said he could knock that price down. , but it would also be 2 weeks at the fastest.

Cheers,
Nick

If you're looking at a 1300 dollar starter from Japan, I suppose I can mention that I have 2 extra 1HD-T starters available, both used but in good working condition. I bought the first one on bad advise and the second one from stupidity. I've been silent about these because I thought it very impractical for you to aquire from such a far away place as mine what with the cost of shipping.

I paid 200 each, more or less, for my starters.

Kalawang

Did you try "ENS INDUSTRAIL" in Saskatoon, thay sell parts for the mine trucks.

You'll find a pretty good diagram of the 80's electrical system, 24 volt starter variety in Ellery's manual on the 80. You can probably find it in the bookstores there.

Kalawang

I have a 24 volt starter motor in the shed, only the motor though.

PM me if you need it.

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
I have a 24 volt starter motor in the shed, only the motor though.

PM me if you need it.

Rob

Thanks for the offer Rob, but I already have another starter in order.

Cheers,
Nick

New starter installed

Well I got my new starter in my truck tonight. Based of the sticker I think it was a starter out of a forklift (and not a Hino). So far things seem to be working good. It starts no problems.

However I hear a bit of a grinding noise when starting (grinding gears?). I am going to have a couple of my friends listen to see what they think. I might just be listening to critically now. It could be within normal range. I might just be super sensitive to it. :)

The starter is also a little different. There is a plug that goes into my starter (not sure what its for). The connection the Toyota starter had for the land cruiser is slightly different than the one for the forklift. So I cut the old plug off, crimped and soldered it to a connecter and then screwed it in the plug. Works good.

Cheers,
Nick

Here are the pics:

The Sticker:
starter_sticker.jpg

The plug:
starter_plug.jpg

Tapage said:
compared both starters .. looks similar . ?

Sorry, bad wording on my part.
They were exact other than the plug.
My thought on that (that plug) was a different wiring harness on the forklift.

Cheers,
Nick

By the way, sorry for the blurry pics. I busted my lens for my camera (Nikon D70s) and I have a new one on order. I was using a 30 year old fixed lens, in a low light situation with no flash.

Was the second picture more a camera shake than a lens problem ? I've been trying to put aside money for a D70 but am now considering a D50 instead.

Kalawang

Kalawang said:
Was the second picture more a camera shake than a lens problem ? I've been trying to put aside money for a D70 but am now considering a D50 instead.

Kalawang

I am sure it was me and not the Camera.
The D70 rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom