My new HDJ81 almost burnt last night! What happened? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nickw said:
But if Charles can get me another starter out of Guate, then it would be my cheapest and best bet. If I can clean my current one and drive around with it for a few weeks than that would be good.

Nick, see if you can read the part number off the starter so I can talk to the dealer for the right one. I won't be able to get an aftermarket one without a sample unless someone knows if they are the same physically as a 12v 3B.

Have heard a lot about worn contacts causing the starter to remain engaged on the fzj80. My 97 fzj80 has two imprints on the hood right over the battery that look just like battery terminals fired into the underside of the hood! And other evidence of a battery explosion, and a fairly recent rebuilt starter. This was all from the prior owner.

My guess is the starter contacts need replacing, fairly cheap and easy from what I hear. The starter contacts can cause the starter to remain engaged and that can melt cables/explode batteries. HTH

Hi Guys,

I pulled the starter tonight. I am going to take it in to be rebuilt. If it can't be rebuilt, I am will probably have cruiser_guy get me one in Guate.
Also, my auto electric guy wants to know what caused this. I am guessing it was a copper build up, or a bad solenoid. But he wants to see my series/parallel switch, he thought the switch might of taken some damage.

Also, good news. It did not get as hot as I first thought. So it's likely rebuildable. I am tired so I am going to sleep now, but I will keep everyone posted.

Cheers,
Nick

Add a thread to the 80's section too. This may not be a diesel only type problem.

Many 80 owners have had this problem too. With the gassers.

Did you try Sheldon at G&S? if he has a 24v starter.

Your starter may be fine. You could strip it down for an isnpection byyourself. It could be other parts that are damaged. Like the relay.

But chances are the starter is pretty worn or melted(hot spots)

Armature might be pooched.

nickw said:
I pulled the starter tonight.

Hey Nick I heard it was someone else who pulled the starter!! :)

Toss the electrics and get one of these...

http://www.springstarter.com/index2.htm
springstart.jpg

cruiser_guy said:
Hey Nick I heard it was someone else who pulled the starter!! :)

Sorry Charles, that was a typo.
She insisted on doing it, and would not let me get in there. :)
She did 75% of the work.

For the most part, she thinks she broke it so she want to fix it.
I tried to explain that it was just bad timing, but that didn't seem to work.

I am not to worried about it. It's only a truck.
It will get fixed, and walking is not going to kill us.

Cheers,
Nick

lowenbrau said:
Toss the electrics and get one of these...

http://www.springstarter.com/index2.htm

I sent them a letter to see if they make any for Toyota applications.

They have a pull start model, that could be adapted to have the pull inside the cab. Can you imagine pulling the handle to start?

COOL!

Also you could glow the crap out of the engine and also run intake grids with no worry of draining the battery for starting purposes. Cold weather extreme.

nickw said:
Hi Guys,

I pulled the starter tonight. I am going to take it in to be rebuilt. If it can't be rebuilt, I am will probably have cruiser_guy get me one in Guate.
Also, my auto electric guy wants to know what caused this. I am guessing it was a copper build up, or a bad solenoid. But he wants to see my series/parallel switch, he thought the switch might of taken some damage.

Also, good news. It did not get as hot as I first thought. So it's likely rebuildable. I am tired so I am going to sleep now, but I will keep everyone posted.

Cheers,
Nick

The starter on the 1HZ should also fit your !HD-T and might work. It's a 12 volt starter. I myself was planning to try one on if I couldn't solve my starter relay ( solenoid ? ) problems. However I was able to repair my solenoid so that experiment never happened.

You now have the opportunity to try it before me. ;p

Kalawang

brownbear said:
I sent them a letter to see if they make any for Toyota applications.

They have a pull start model, that could be adapted to have the pull inside the cab. Can you imagine pulling the handle to start?

COOL!

Also you could glow the crap out of the engine and also run intake grids with no worry of draining the battery for starting purposes. Cold weather extreme.

Exactly... The coldest a person ever gets is while he is waiting for the plugs to glow. Now you could be pulling the cord repeatedly to keep warm while you wait!

Hello All,

I need a part number on my starter.
My sticker is melted (surprise surprise) and can't be read.
Could someone please post it.
If someone out there has a 1990 HDJ81 could you go look at yours and get the number.
I need this ASAP, so he sooner the better.

Also, could someone scan and post the wiring diagram for the whole starting system. My auto electric friend wants to see it.

Thanks,
Nick

Just wanted to let everyone know the part number:

28100-17020, STARTER ASSY, fits
90/01-92/08 1HD-T and 1HZ; 24V 4.5KW

I also know more about what happened to my starter.
What happened was the solenoid contact melted together so the starter could not disengage. Everything inside my starter is melted. I have a friend working on it who has an auto electric shop.

Here are my options:

He found a Toyota starter which he thinks is almost identical which is made for a Toyota forklift. The only difference is my starter is 12 spline on the drive gear and forklift starter is 11 spline. So he could move the gear over. He would have to order it and double check to make sure its the same. Then there would be his labour on top. If it was not the same I would be paying the shipping. He didn't really want to go this option because he was not 100% sure.

My other option is he found a new non Toyota starter (made for a Hino I think).
It is identical to mine and the price is $450.

I found a non OEM starter in Australia for $375. By the time this gets here I am no better off.

Or I could get a new Toyota OEM starter from Japan for about $1000 or so.

I have decided to go for the non OEM starter made for the Hino, because I know it will work and it still has a 1 year warranty.

Thanks everyones help.
Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Tapage,

That's awsome... you guys have a TON of mud down there. Your tires look like slicks when spinning in the mud. By the way, nice ride.

Monton

Tapage said:
nothing with this thread ( sorry Nick ) I post some videos here .

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=933018#post933018

Nicw, I too would go with the Hino. But you're sure its 24v eh?

Tapage HIJACK......

David, post your videos with a write up of what they are and what trail they are so on and so on. OK. I wll move the thread to trails if you make it trail worthy. Or it can go to chit chat. But I will leave a redirect in the forum. SO everyone will see it anyhow.

Does that work? Once the thread goes to page 2, I will delete the redirect. Page two is about a week or so....away for us.

hey nick, thanks for posting your progress with this starter issue. was that something he was able to find local, as in canada? i would go with Hino option as well. i hope it gets to you soon! there wasn't any other used ones around from some of the guys at the coast or 4wheel in edmonton or...?

pedro

Hey guys,

As far as I know the other starter is 24v.
I am not 100% sure its for a Hino, but I think it is.
Eiether way, from what I am told, its for my engine.
Brand new, just not OEM.

The starter is located in Toronto. I can pay for express shipping, but I think I might go ground to save some money.

4WheelAuto called my back this morning (after ordering my other starter). He said he can get me a OEM starter from Japan. The list price is $1300. But he said he could knock that price down. , but it would also be 2 weeks at the fastest.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
If all else fails I rumaged around the shop and I do have a used Genuine 24volt
1HD-T/HZ starter on hand. It has been tested and is good to go.

Sheldon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom