My first 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I always regretted selling my last Landcruiser in 2007.

After owning three FJ60's( 1983, 1986, and a 1987 which is in my avatar), I finally found an 80 series from Birmingham, AL in eddie baur green that was clean, close, and within budget. It's a 11/94 build date with the later full float axles and rear disc brakes and ABS, no airbags to worry about exploding, and cloth seats in great condition. No diff lockers, but I would rather have a clean example vs. bad example with the lockers. 207k miles on the odo and $5500 in documented repairs and maintenance that the previous owner had done recently by a reputable shop( Bfg AT KO2's plus spare, engine seals, brakes/rotors, new side mirror, power steering hose, rebuilt steering pump, oil pump, new radiator, new air plenum, Kenwood, etc.)

The only thing left is rebuilding the knuckles which is next on the agenda as well as changing of all fluids. Bought cheap walmart front seat covers for now. Had one front caliper bolt missing(just replaced) and the sunviser clips where missing(ordered from toyota dealer and replaced). Needs new antenna. Plans for the cruiser are to keep it stock for now as I want to keep it original as long as I can. I've got other vehicles for more off-road use so this 80 will be an occasional driver.
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1344.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG
IMG_1335.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG

I did the unthinkable and attempted to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body this week.

Of course I did the ultimate bonehead rookie mistake and removed the two infamous screws holding the ecu plug to the maf sensor housing, then pulled the plug reciever out slightly before I realized it is not supposed to come out. :bang:

Now the cruiser starts strong, revs up to 1500 rpm and then dies abruptly every time. I've spent the better part of today searching the forum for guidance on what next step to take, have confirmed that I am not the only one who has made this mistake. Seems like a ritual of passage for a new 80 series owner.

The posts were quite old, so was wondering who is the latest goto member to send the unit to for a rebuild? If this post is too redundant, please ignore as I'm sure this comes up all the time.

If all else fails, I will attempt to disassemble and solder it myself, but would rather have someone that knows what they are doing before I butcher the part beyond repair. Thanks for any info or guidance, as I would rather not have to shell out $700 for a new unit.

I did the unthinkable and attempted to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body this week.

Of course I did the ultimate bonehead rookie mistake and removed the two infamous screws holding the ecu plug to the maf sensor housing, then pulled the plug reciever out slightly before I realized it is not supposed to come out. :bang:

Now the cruiser starts strong, revs up to 1500 rpm and then dies abruptly every time. I've spent the better part of today searching the forum for guidance on what next step to take, have confirmed that I am not the only one who has made this mistake. Seems like a ritual of passage for a new 80 series owner.

The posts were quite old, so was wondering who is the latest goto member to send the unit to for a rebuild? If this post is too redundant, please ignore as I'm sure this comes up all the time.

If all else fails, I will attempt to disassemble and solder it myself, but would rather have someone that knows what they are doing before I butcher the part beyond repair. Thanks for any info or guidance, as I would rather not have to shell out $700 for a new unit.
Check with @slow95z for good used parts.

You know why it did that - right?

-Keep calling it Eddie Bauer green & it‘ll crap more parts than than @Onur has touched. !!!!

Eddie Bauer was for the Ford Exploders - and they earned that name.
Just call it ‘that dark green’ - we all have either owned or rode in one. All of us.

~Srsly, cool grab, has potential 100% & nice as is.~

You know why it did that - right?

-Keep calling it Eddie Bauer green & it‘ll crap more parts than than @Onur has touched. !!!!

Eddie Bauer was for the Ford Exploders - and they earned that name.
Just call it ‘that dark green’ - we all have either owned or rode in one. All of us.

~Srsly, cool grab, has potential 100% & nice as is.~
That explains it. I'll call it Nancy if it likes that better.

Where in ga are you btw? Would guess ATL area since over half the state lives there.

I'd like to think I'll remember reading this... Unfortunately I'm likely to remember this AFTER I've done the same thing...

Where in ga are you btw? Would guess ATL area since over half the state lives there.
I just checked the map and your closer than I thought. I'm just on the other side of Tifton in southwest ga.

Just pulled another off one of my trucks for you and put that on in it's place. It works fine but this one is also good.
IMG_20191118_103057.jpg

They all get tested. Some of them have been repaired in the past.
Just out of curiousity, what is involved in repairing these sensors? I looked at the repair job that was posted in the 80 series maintenance from secret squirrel from 2009 thread. He took the plastic cover off and soldered a couple of the connections, then resealed. Is it that simple to fix, minus soldering skills? If so, I might have a go at it first before buying a repaired one. If I mess it up no loss and will buy one of yours.

It all depends on how bad they get pulled apart and how good your skills are. We work on copy machines at work and repair bad boards all the time so we have a nice solder station which helps a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom