Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dag-nabit Danny, that looks like it hurts. Hope you get fully healed up

Dag-nabit Danny, that looks like it hurts. Hope you get fully healed up

Thanks Roger!!

It’s as healed as it’s gonna get... I notice it most when I put pressure on my elbow or have to grip a lot... like a nail gun, circle saw, etc.

I have good strength in that arm... but the tricep tires easily... I seldom use a trek pole in my right hand, I’m paranoid about a repeat.

This my friend is for you.... :cheers:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967

Thanks Huck!!

That’s how I try to live my life... just stated more eloquently than I ever could!!

You seriously need to go see my surgeon - he repairs those somehow and has had great results. The last visit I had with him there were two guys sitting in the waiting area with arms that looked the same - those avulsions are really painful from what they say, but from what I understand the problem can be repaired by the right surgeon. This guys is based in Sports Medicine and trained under Pietro Tonino - the guy that wrote all the procedures for modern techniques of repair to knees , elbows and shoulders - he's located in Orland Park, Illinois. I almost had Tonino do the repairs on both knees, but the WC insurance carrier balked badly at his rates and hospital - so I ended up with Dr. Rhode and he's the only one that could get me back to where I could work again after the first failed attempts -

Our Practice | Orland Park Orthopedics

He's not afraid to work on us "older humans" either. Once you hit 40+ you don't heal the same anymore and many surgeons would rather attempt a joint replacement versus repairing the old parts - which is his specialty. Just an fyi - I'd bet that can be repaired and not be such an issue with life.

This my friend is for you.... :cheers:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967

Yeah - that pretty much sums it up. Everyone around me gets a laugh out of that, I'm always described as the one guy that would die in the most spectacular manner - not sure if that's a good or bad thing..lol.

After yesterday's snow plowing duty our GSD wasn't doing so well - he's gotten a bit overweight and his age is catching up with him - 7yrs old now. Slow up the stairs to our home and pretty much passed out for the remainder of the day well into dinner time - he usually never sleeps that much in the daytime but he was tuckered out bad and sore from being out of shape. Still dragging this morning a little too..lol. That work drive of his is getting even with him -

20180206_145246[1].jpg

Sarge

Yeah, I should have gone to other surgeons... but, I was tired of their arrogance and tired of being cut on.

The surgeon I had check my knees was appalled at the “too old” comment and said he could fix my arm for me.

But, I’m getting used to the nagging ache and can do anything I need to do... just slower and with a lot of Advil... 2400mg/day... with frequent kidney labs, to ensure all is good.

The Advil helps with my knees, back, etc. as well and I’m doing fine... just whiny... plus, I’m taking the glucosamine that @waiting for time suggested.

But, if this elbow blows out again, I’ll have surgery... I just try not to repeat the trek pole movement any more than I have to.

Now that I have my irritants under control, I’m trying get back into my exercise regimen... like everything else, it’s not as easy as before.

Hope your buddy is doing better!!

Last edited:
The first surgeon I had was an idiot and went against the therapy people completely and fully released me to go back to work in a very short time - that was a mistake that led to more damage. I swear that idiot worked directly for their insurance company - he sure seemed to get along with them too. There is a lot of suspect claims done around here by cutters that profit from it , no different everywhere else in this country from what I've learned and they leave a lot of folks crippled. Far better off doing your research and picking someone yourself using their track record and talking to prior patients .

I'd avoid using that ANSAID based meds at that dosage - you are destroying your intestines and stomach over time. Look into sulfa-based meds as long as you don't have an allergy. I've been on Soma compound now for 10yrs - no real problems and it's been about the only thing that has helped keep the inflammation at bay at least some. They all can cause digestive/kidney problems - it's always a trade-off of some sort.

Toby is getting better, he just overdid it with excitement and getting some time out of the house. He did tear one paw a little from ice building up in his paws but it's healing fine already - I just have to keep an eye on it . Been tempted to get him some boots as I'd rather not have to trim that thick fur out - once you start doing that it generally gets worse over time and can cause infections in shepherds. With his long double coat he really enjoys being out in the snow a lot - he will jump into snow banks and drifts and just disappear or submarine his way around and pop up somewhere else. Wish I could catch him on video doint it but it comes out of nowhere when he gets a wild hair up his butt, lol.

I need to get him up to an orthopedic center nearby - last year he tore up both front wrists and it looks like he's stretched the tendons. He doesn't put weight on the front half of his front paws - he's doing the weight-bearing completely on the rear of them and staying off the toes. At times they seem to bother him and he can't run at full speed now - need it fixed but I'm holding my breath on the cost, we'll see this spring.

I showed my wife the pics of Teddy - she's in love with that, lol...

Sarge

The 2400mg/day is the prescribed dosage, by both the orthopaedist and the rheumatologist.

Advil works for me and I’m frequently tested to prevent damage.

I’ve used dog boots from THIS PLACE for years and have tested many of them, for them... but, never cold weather boots.

But, I know their first boots were cold weather... they are in MN or WI or somewhere COLD.

Last edited:
Periodically I've been checking in when I get a chance. It's good to see Teddy and Chester getting along and doing well. Work has and is taking a toll on me too. Reading and seeing your posts always brightens my day.
By the way, Happy Birthday!
Dave

Thanks Dave!!

Don’t work too hard... money can’t buy back the good times you miss.

I know it’s difficult to cut back when you have contracts... just saying, keep it in mind.

I’m hoping to take the boys camping next week, in new places... I’ll get some new pictures.

I may just try a set of those boots - might borrow some from the sister in law she's been using on her Golden, want to make certain he will actually tolerate them. Took him out yesterday and let him "work" the tractor while I plowed off another 4" of snow we got Friday night - I think we have plenty now, thanks. Mid-week is suppose to be up around 40*F, that will make a nice mess out of it .

Sarge

Lubed 44, checked all fluids and added grease to the knuckles... Then installed a new suicide knob... Fits my hand better and has a "B" for beautiful. :doh:

image.jpeg

With rain in the forecast for today and tomorrow, albeit only 20-40%, Chester suggested we just drive 44 and go hiking yesterday... We'll go camping Thursday.

So, here are the pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looking good! Nice to have decent weather for hiking in the desert. My wife and I will be out there late Wednesday or early Thursday and will be staying through the weekend. Hope the weather holds.

Indian Springs is now showing a rain possibility on Thu

1E1A69D9-3ABA-44FE-9C97-787D04E9AC42.png

Basically the same forecast for another week after the above.

Thanks for the update, a little rain never hurt. Besides, I've got plenty to do in the garage with the FJ40 and the FJ60. Spring will be here before you know it.

Oh, spring was here last week. You missed it... now, we have a mild winter again.

Yesterday’s pictures showed primarily sun, but it started getting cold, with a north wind, and was spitting snow before we got back to 44.

Summer will be here before we know it... :(

I see your desert, I’ll up you some mountains.
3EC90B18-5754-46B4-A501-932ED0BC2241.jpeg
0EB67B1E-98A5-4C6D-8FCA-32C4F086132C.jpeg

Oh Ryan, those are purty pitchers!!

But, this is like bringing a cat to a dog fight...

Nevada is the most mountainous state of the Lower-48.

“Over 30 of Nevada's mountain peaks exceed 11,000 ft., with the highest point (Boundary Peak), reaching 13,140 ft.”.

Geography of Nevada - World Atlas

Here’s an interactive map... click on any of the ‘bird beaks’.

Map of Mountain Ranges in Nevada, United States

Lamoille area of the Ruby Mountains
827B8D97-C013-4D06-AF87-D77620232EC1.jpeg
D51A76D8-2D7E-4611-B2C6-27735F497D50.jpeg
286B0B0C-10FF-41C0-BFF2-1898A4CAB2DE.jpeg
9DAD3C39-5EF7-4BC1-87AA-C351699D83DB.jpeg
F9E3F159-D0D3-4132-AF4D-4E163483E66C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom