Builds My 69' 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KIMG1055.JPG
KIMG1057.JPG

This photo shows the relationship between the intake and the exhaust header flange after machining the header to match the thickness of the intake.
KIMG1054.JPG

I have started building a set of "Rock Sliders" for the 69' 55.
Because this build is not intended to be a crawler, a mudder or even a dedicated wheeler I have decided to make the sliders as low profile as possible. "Practical yet Capable" is what I find myself saying quite often as I make my next deciding factor on this project.
My goals are:
-remove the old rusted out rocker panels
-gain structural strength
-have the ability to lift the truck from the side with a hi-lift jack.
-keep it looking stock
It also needs to be able to make contact with rocks and stumps while minimizing damage to the truck.

Here's what I've got so far...

I burned out some 10ga. Plate steel 2 inches by 58 inches. And 1.5 inches by 58 inches. I welded them to a 58 inch piece of 1.5 inch schedule 40 pipe. Then I cut out the old rocker panels. I made sure to leave about 3/4 of an inch of material down from the bottom of the doors. This will allow me to have something for the sliders to weld to.
KIMG2080.JPG

KIMG2081.JPG

KIMG2083.JPG

KIMG2084.JPG

KIMG2085.JPG

Nasty little mice. This has been the first time that I have seen evidence of rodents nesting. Lucky this nest was so old the clean up wasn't too bad.

KIMG2090.JPG

KIMG2091.JPG

KIMG2092.JPG

KIMG2094.JPG

These have not been welded into place yet. These previous few photos are just me dry fitting the sliders. I have to do a little body manipulating and definitely going to apply some rust treatment before finally welding them into place. I will share more as this chapter of the build progresses.

I'm going to do some more work tonight on the rockers. Time has been the biggest challenge lately so I'm excited to get back at it. The truck has been driving great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom