My 68 Build Post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President Emeritus, Battle Born Cruisers
Joined
Mar 6, 2010
Threads
214
Messages
1,570
Location
Reno, NV
Website
battleborncruisers.com
Well I am running a blog to capture all of this, but I realize that I'm kinda spamming the forum with individual posts. So I'll use this one from now on.

I got the front end pulled apart in preparation for pulling the engine and drive train, which I am hoping to have finished next week or the week after.

IMG_20180519_150725.jpg


IMG_20180519_150732.jpg


Demo is boring and a pain! I am eager to get on the other side of things and start putting all the new bits on.
 
Well I managed to get the interior of the tub stripped. All that's left is the tailgate and windshield frame.

_DSC0729.jpg
_DSC0731.jpg


This hole (top right pic) is the only one I have found so far on the entire tub. I think this will be the repair on which I learn to weld.

_DSC0732.jpg
_DSC0733.jpg


It a little tough to make out but if you look closely at the shot of the bed, you'll see a ripple. I have no idea what they did to make it, but the sunken in parts have big dents, so I'm guessing they used the 40 to haul heavy items and weren't gentle when said items were deposited in the back. The other photo is the carnage left in my wake. Time to clean up again! I need to make room for the engine and drive train I've be procrastinating about pulling. :wrench:
 
Anyone have an opinion on the color of my 40? IF it is the original color, I am thinking either...

T1540 Malachite Green
T1508 Tantalus Green
T1527 Jade Green

It is just so hard to tell from pics on the interwebs.

SLOW DOWN! All your responses are overwhelming me! :cautious: :hillbilly:
 
Sorry I not familiar with those greens. Will u pull the rear floor dents or install new metal?

I'm not sure yet. The replacement panel for the rear section of the tub is $900! I'm tempted to just leave it since it'll be covered with a bench seat and storage drawers. A fleeting thought was to see if I could retrofit a wood floor in there just to be different, but it'll just get banged up and rot eventually. So I donno what I'll do yet.
 
I am not a fan of wood floor but whatever floats your proverbial boat. The 40s are a money pit anyway, which is fine; you just have to allocate resources to what you want to do.
 
I am not a fan of wood floor but whatever floats your proverbial boat. The 40s are a money pit anyway, which is fine; you just have to allocate resources to what you want to do.

Wood floors were a passing thought. I'd do it on a 45 flatbed or pickup though.
 
Last edited:
I finally got the powertrain pulled! Took me a while, but now it is time to move on to pulling the tub. Engine, transmission, and transfer case are all for sale.

IMG_20180720_111825.jpg


I'm till trying to figure out an approach to that given my limited space. I am considering mounting a motorized hoist on that beam (if it is a real beam!) You can barely see it in the top left corner of the photo. Anyway, it will never do more than hoist the tub a few times, and eventually the hard top, so I think it'll work out ok. We shall see!
 
Back
Top Bottom