Muffler replacement options? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My muffler (the center one, not the rear resonator) has been going out for some time, and it really starting rattling/roaring this weekend. The outer "skin" of the muffler completely rusted through along the seam on the outside, and the bottom half was hanging down. Poking around on it, there is significant hole in the bottom at the rear.

I've got it temporarily "tied" together with some steel wire, because it was so obnoxious sounding!

I've found a couple of options and I would appreciate any input or experience that folks have:
  • OEM Toyota - Seems like about $650 to $700 from the regular online discount sources, plus shipping. Mine lasted 20 years, but that is damn expensive for a muffler!
  • Bosal 297-773 - About $130, plus shipping. This seems to be common preferred aftermarket option based on threads hear. Reportedly, it bolts up just like the OEM.
  • AP Exhaust 7479 - Also $130, and made in the USA! Looks to be OEM fitment, but the pics don't show a mounting provision for the damper weight on the back. I have never heard of this brand before.
  • Walker 55329 (Also the NAPA Exhaust brand, from what I can tell) - $160 to $190, and I've heard of issues with OEM fit and quality.
$650 to $700 seems like a fortune for a muffler, but I am sure the Toyota are the best quality. I assume all are made from aluminized steel, but the Toyota is, I'm sure, thicker gauge. Even if the Bosal or AP lasts a quarter as long as the OEM, its 1/6 the price.

Thanks in advance for any experience and advice!

OEM is $518 plus shipping for my 06.

I had the Bosal on my 99. Muffler itself held up well, but after ~6 years I did see some corrosion starting on the muffler body. The clamp was garbage, but still held together.

On my 06LX today, I'm in a similar boat to you. Outer shell is rusted out, leaks exist. I'll likely go OEM, or find a good shop to fab up a nice SS system. My hesitation is keeping it quiet. I want the LX to remain super quiet. Performance gain would be fine, but my priority is quiet. The Bosal was quiet, but I think OEM might have the edge.

Bosal 297-773 - About $130, plus shipping. This seems to be common preferred aftermarket option based on threads hear. Reportedly, it bolts up just like the OEM.
From my experience with the Bosal, the resonator pipe may not seal to the muffler very well. I agree with @suprarx7nut that the provided clamp is trash, which is the primary problem with not sealing. I had to buy a different clamp to get the seal 'good enough', but even then (and with application of exhaust sealant), I still have some leakage at that join, which causes an annoying whistle at about the 2500-3500 RPM range...I'll probably just weld it together whenever I get my Cruiser back from the body shop. But if I could do it over, I would probably buy the Toyota muffler instead.

Similarly, I installed a Walker on one of my 4Runners a few years ago and had issues with flange alignment to the factory Toyota cat. I had to heat up the Walker pipe with a torch and bend it to get it to line up properly.

there was a big muffler thread about a week or two ago. search for that one.
TL;DR - bosal is totally fine. get all new OEM hdw and clamp/nut. notch the exit pipe of the bosal for the pressed in nub on the toyota side to mate properly. i put a pic in that other thread where to cut. and i only reccommend removing the old stuff with a sawzall and grinder with a cutting wheel. dont even spend one second to pull a wrench out. cut it all out. too rusty.

OEM is $518 plus shipping for my 06.

I had the Bosal on my 99. Muffler itself held up well, but after ~6 years I did see some corrosion starting on the muffler body. The clamp was garbage, but still held together.

On my 06LX today, I'm in a similar boat to you. Outer shell is rusted out, leaks exist. I'll likely go OEM, or find a good shop to fab up a nice SS system. My hesitation is keeping it quiet. I want the LX to remain super quiet. Performance gain would be fine, but my priority is quiet. The Bosal was quiet, but I think OEM might have the edge.
Same boat, same priority. I want my couch with wheels (LX) to be quiet.

the bosal is very very quiet. i actually hear the engine more now.

My bosal is nowhere near as quiet as OEM. Also the fitment isn't great. I don't have the damper weight as mine detached from the OEM muffler and I forgot where I put it. I would say the bosal is 20% louder for me and I can really pick it up on the highway.

I miss my OEM muffler a ton, but $600 was too pricey for me.

That connection doesn't look great at all, but I don't have any metal fab skills to fix it up

20200923_181247.jpg

Reactions: MJK
My bosal is nowhere near as quiet as OEM. Also the fitment isn't great. I don't have the damper weight as mine detached from the OEM muffler and I forgot where I put it. I would say the bosal is 20% louder for me and I can really pick it up on the highway.

I miss my OEM muffler a ton, but $600 was too pricey for me.

That connection doesn't look great at all, but I don't have any metal fab skills to fix it up

View attachment 2444203

Given your description and that pic, I'm guessing your bosal isn't sealing correctly. My fitment was dead on, but @JunkCrzr89 seems to have had similar non-fitment issues.

I'd take that to an exhaust shop. Should take them a hour or less to cut and re-weld as needed to get that sealed up.

I have the Bosal also, no fitment issues for me besides using a different clamp. I like it. It is quiet during normal driving but has a little bit deeper tone than stock when I put the throttle down. The price is great for what it is. My wife thinks it sounds better also and she usually can't tell any difference when I make an "improvement" to her ride.

I put the Bosal on my 99 lx about a year ago. It fit great. It’s not quite as quiet as the stock one but pretty close and you cant beat the price. Seems to be holding up well.

IF you use electric welding, please make sure the ground wire is attached RIGHT ON TO THE EXHAUST and NOT on to any other metal.

Backgroud: My cousin took his 01 Montero XLS to a muffler shop. After the repair, he started the truck and it started with a bit loud bang and then the vehicle started vibrating. : Later found out timing was out. He said the ground was on the frame and welded the exhaust. The ground made a path to exhaust from frame-to-engine-to-probably some cam/valves-to-exhaust manifold and then to the exhaust. As they weld, it made a spark at one of those close contact points (slightly open valve or a cam heel) soldering those as well.

My magna flow was like $225 installed, sounds good but not obnoxious.

I have the whole Bosal kit, and it fit just fine, think I put it on this past December. I used whatever clamps came with it, I think. If you're mixing and matching pieces though, maybe they dont fit as well. I like that it has a flex pipe too, to help eliminate some slop. Seems quiet as can be, but I can only compare to the leaky rusty Borla that was on it before.

I feel like its difficult for any company to make an exhaust that perfectly fits anyone's old used car. Cars and trucks get old and flexed, mounts sag and get bent or rusty, and you're expecting a lot from a company to make a huge long bent up pipe that works perfect for everyone. Some tweaks are expected.

Not sure if that will work or not

Works just fine... Seems like it is just the standard Magnaflow oval muffler.
Definitely more throaty, rumbly than stock. What does it sound like inside the cab while going down the road? Any drone noticed on the freeway or around town? Seems like you aren't too far from me.

I just replaced the original muffler in my 2004 with a Bosal and respective gaskets. Mine fortunately fit in very nicely between the headers and the resonator. Old muffler was shot, so the new one is a very nice improvement. Had a drone at 70 mph, none now.

Which magnaflow did you guys go with?

I had the shop order me a Magnaflow 12288
Sounds more throaty at idle and low revs. Slightly louder in general, but really unnoticeable. No drone at freeway speeds, but then again the tires (Falken WildPeaks) might be drowning out the muffler

Wished you asked earlier, I was at Moon Rocks two weekends ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom