MUD History and Facts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Woody:

Who started MUD? And when? Who owns MUD? What is the history of MUD? Inquiring minds want to know. :confused:

:Rigger

If you put your first word at the end of your post, you will have answered your question grasshoppah.

-Spike

the long version (and I'm gonna sticki it this time...lol)

Bought my first FJ40 in 1989, and did mud drag racing with it....after a couple years of fun, I got tired of cleaning the truck and finding places where the mud just seemed to never get cleaned from...and would usually glop on your face during maintenance and repairs....the IH8MUD license plate was born in September 1992 (and yes, I still have that plate, with the year tag, on the garage wall)

I also started getting online around that time, on the old ORML (OffRoad Mailing List, hosted by Stefan Roth at GaTech.edu)...a few years later, around 1996ish, the LCML (Land Cruiser Mailing List) was started by Gary Bjork...during this time, I was collecting tech link url's from projects around the world, as people were doing online writeups. Folks would post on the LCML looking for advice, and I frequently had a bookmark in my personal browser that I would then post up so they could see what others had done.

In 1997ish, I thought it would be nice to have these links all collected in one place online, rather than just in my own browser....so I started my own personal web page on vbe.com/~woody/ and had buildups of my own rig as well as the initial links that now create IH8MUD.com - Technical

In September 2000 I bought the IH8MUD.com domain and re-directed the site into a more general Cruiser tech idea Internet Archive Wayback Machine - it was hosted free by a friend who was starting up OffroadHQ.

As folks read these tech writeups, they often assumed that since I linked them I had also written them...and the emails and questions got overwhelming...sometime around January 2002, the Forum began (in June 2002, the forum had 372 topics and 1459 posts). The site went thru a few changes and growing pains...it was hosted by OffroadHQ for about a year, by Birfield.com for about 9 months (during which the forum broke away in mid-2003 to a separate host), then moved in December 2003 to a dedicated server setup hosted by American Hosting in Reno NV. In 2010 everything migrated to a Digital Crowd managed server by SoftLayer in Dallas TX. Backups are handled on that server and also rsync'd nightly to another server in central New York.

From a logo standpoint, the IH8MUD.com image was created by Brian Goudie (Chemical442) in April 2003...the vehicle line drawings have been added over time, mostly created by TreerootCO.

There have been three tag lines over the years...the site started with "Exclusively Land Cruisers" for the first 4 or so years, then change to "The Truth is in the Rocks" for a few years...presently, it's "Your Online Offroad Resource", to better reflect the variety of great members and the more varied makes and models that participate.

Last edited:
The line drawings of the Cruisers are really well-done. Who is the artist? Ever considered doing shirts or stickers of them individually? I have the collage shirt. It's quite nice.

the initial FJ40 image was done by denis - he's in...mmm....France? I sent that to Chemical442 and he cleaned up to what I wanted it....the balance of the line images are treerootCO creations...he does more when he gets free time....and yer right, he does a GREAT job with them, catching the lines and uniqueness of each rig but keeping them clean....

If you're doing a history of mud you need to discuss the : urinate : smilie :D Damn I miss that one.

Woody, ever consider letting someone document the important occurrences/milestones of ih8mud? Would make a great read.

yeah, that history stuff would be kewl....learn what 6-4-6 means, and socks, and all that....lol

oh...and Junk's momma....but that's ancient history ;)

yeah, that history stuff would be kewl....learn what 6-4-6 means, and socks, and all that....lol

Oh I am gonna HAVE to know the story about Junk's Momma. That sounds like a good one.

:bounce:

That's because Junks mom is ancient;p

I do case studies and histories in my academic work...I'd volunteer for the job.....

If it's ok with Junk....

:flipoff2::flipoff2:

How many moderators does it take to keep up w/ all the postings here on MUD?

I do case studies and histories in my academic work...I'd volunteer for the job.....

If it's ok with Junk....

:flipoff2::flipoff2:
Ask Woody, it's not my forum :D

I can make a hit list of things that come to mind though and I'd say you should ask a bunch of regulars both old and new.

Ask Woody, it's not my forum :D

I can make a hit list of things that come to mind though and I'd say you should ask a bunch of regulars both old and new.

If Woody gave the ok, I'd be game.

Don't worry, I'd interview you for that oh so Junk point of view....

;)

-o-

A question I've been wondering about ... given the wealth of information that's been developed on the forums over the years, what are the backup plans like? It'd be a shame to lose everything to a drive failure or such.

four hard drives in a raid5 config....with nightly off-server backups...

it's taken care of ;)

Woody .. thanks for this history, never ( since I'm a mud member ) found this info until now.

Proud Mud member ..

P.S. I can't hate the mud .. it's that we have here .. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom