MUD History and Facts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice to understand the history.

fwiw i was directed here from the old SOR site when they quit in late '03(i think):cheers:

Last edited:
Very exciting to have a place like this to help with my severe land cruiser based addiction.

Cheers!

I've been randomly keeping tabs on this site for years (at least 15yrs). I'm a Toyota enthusiast thru and thru and I recently bought a 93' LC (my 5th toyota 4x4) to go with my 98' 4Runner and so plan to be much more attentive to this site! Cheers!

My Favorite MUD is when you try to put a spare tire from a FORD on a wheel when the rear of the truck is sitting ON that spare tire under the back of the truck due to 18" of wet,gooey mud you must lay in to dig Out the tire and rim. A lava rock rim tore out the sidewall of my cousin's truck tire. Who else has tried to put a Hi-Lift jack under a truck in those conditions? Then it all slides side-wise and goes Thud in the Mud; again. This is my old wood grabbing rig that is getting sold.
Military Garwood PTO on there with 500FT of 1/2" on it.

IMG_0423.JPG

the long version (and I'm gonna sticki it this time...lol)

Bought my first FJ40 in 1989, and did mud drag racing with it....after a couple years of fun, I got tired of cleaning the truck and finding places where the mud just seemed to never get cleaned from...and would usually glop on your face during maintenance and repairs....the IH8MUD license plate was born in September 1992 (and yes, I still have that plate, with the year tag, on the garage wall)

I also started getting online around that time, on the old ORML (OffRoad Mailing List, hosted by Stefan Roth at GaTech.edu)...a few years later, around 1996ish, the LCML (Land Cruiser Mailing List) was started by Gary Bjork...during this time, I was collecting tech link url's from projects around the world, as people were doing online writeups. Folks would post on the LCML looking for advice, and I frequently had a bookmark in my personal browser that I would then post up so they could see what others had done.

In 1997ish, I thought it would be nice to have these links all collected in one place online, rather than just in my own browser....so I started my own personal web page on vbe.com/~woody/ and had buildups of my own rig as well as the initial links that now create IH8MUD.com - Technical

In September 2000 I bought the IH8MUD.com domain and re-directed the site into a more general Cruiser tech idea Internet Archive Wayback Machine - it was hosted free by a friend who was starting up OffroadHQ.

As folks read these tech writeups, they often assumed that since I linked them I had also written them...and the emails and questions got overwhelming...sometime around January 2002, the Forum began (in June 2002, the forum had 372 topics and 1459 posts). The site went thru a few changes and growing pains...it was hosted by OffroadHQ for about a year, by Birfield.com for about 9 months (during which the forum broke away in mid-2003 to a separate host), then moved in December 2003 to a dedicated server setup hosted by American Hosting in Reno NV. In 2010 everything migrated to a Digital Crowd managed server by SoftLayer in Dallas TX. Backups are handled on that server and also rsync'd nightly to another server in central New York.

From a logo standpoint, the IH8MUD.com image was created by Brian Goudie (Chemical442) in April 2003...the vehicle line drawings have been added over time, mostly created by TreerootCO.

There have been three tag lines over the years...the site started with "Exclusively Land Cruisers" for the first 4 or so years, then change to "The Truth is in the Rocks" for a few years...presently, it's "Your Online Offroad Resource", to better reflect the variety of great members and the more varied makes and models that participate.

Thanks for all you’ve done here, I look forward to discovery...

New to Mud, 2000 LX 470, could not find the location to give my into. The Lexus is just coming up to 300,000 mark. Think its time to do the timing belt.

New to Mud, 2000 LX 470, could not find the location to give my into. The Lexus is just coming up to 300,000 mark. Think its time to do the timing belt.

That would be the 100 series tech section.

Thanks for having this type of forum, really helps. I am looking to upgrade a FJ40 1966 not in good condition to a FJ43. I have a FZCrusier 2015 but my first car was a FJ43 back in 1987. At the same time, the company gave me one FJ40 to go back and forth the office. Years later a friend need some money and sold me a FJ40 1968 in a terrible condition....junk guys were following me when I was dragging it from his garage to the shop. Now I want to start again and leave such nice vehicles to my kids.

the long version (and I'm gonna sticki it this time...lol)

Bought my first FJ40 in 1989, and did mud drag racing with it....after a couple years of fun, I got tired of cleaning the truck and finding places where the mud just seemed to never get cleaned from...and would usually glop on your face during maintenance and repairs....the IH8MUD license plate was born in September 1992 (and yes, I still have that plate, with the year tag, on the garage wall)

I also started getting online around that time, on the old ORML (OffRoad Mailing List, hosted by Stefan Roth at GaTech.edu)...a few years later, around 1996ish, the LCML (Land Cruiser Mailing List) was started by Gary Bjork...during this time, I was collecting tech link url's from projects around the world, as people were doing online writeups. Folks would post on the LCML looking for advice, and I frequently had a bookmark in my personal browser that I would then post up so they could see what others had done.

In 1997ish, I thought it would be nice to have these links all collected in one place online, rather than just in my own browser....so I started my own personal web page on vbe.com/~woody/ and had buildups of my own rig as well as the initial links that now create IH8MUD.com - Technical

In September 2000 I bought the IH8MUD.com domain and re-directed the site into a more general Cruiser tech idea Internet Archive Wayback Machine - it was hosted free by a friend who was starting up OffroadHQ.

As folks read these tech writeups, they often assumed that since I linked them I had also written them...and the emails and questions got overwhelming...sometime around January 2002, the Forum began (in June 2002, the forum had 372 topics and 1459 posts). The site went thru a few changes and growing pains...it was hosted by OffroadHQ for about a year, by Birfield.com for about 9 months (during which the forum broke away in mid-2003 to a separate host), then moved in December 2003 to a dedicated server setup hosted by American Hosting in Reno NV. In 2010 everything migrated to a Digital Crowd managed server by SoftLayer in Dallas TX. Backups are handled on that server and also rsync'd nightly to another server in central New York.

From a logo standpoint, the IH8MUD.com image was created by Brian Goudie (Chemical442) in April 2003...the vehicle line drawings have been added over time, mostly created by TreerootCO.

There have been three tag lines over the years...the site started with "Exclusively Land Cruisers" for the first 4 or so years, then change to "The Truth is in the Rocks" for a few years...presently, it's "Your Online Offroad Resource", to better reflect the variety of great members and the more varied makes and models that participate.
I had a feeling it was something along those lines, nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom