Mr Plow's "$900 '99 UZJ100" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the saga of my broken passenger window, as it unfolded last night.

Ever since I purchased the vehicle, the passenger window wouldn't operate. Hitting the switch resulting in nothing: no motor noise, no whine, not so much as a single click. So it was a safe assumption that either the motor was 100% dead, or a ground wire was severed somewhere in the circuit.

First place I checked was the driver's footwell junction into the drivers door.

Snehvzf.jpg

Everything was looking okay...

f3Gqwkl.jpg

Then I struck gold! Well, would you look at that?

i8kvH0y.jpg

Sheared clean off. I soldered, heat shrink & liquid taped them back together. But still, the window wouldn't operate!

Right as I started working on the passenger door, a water line for my pond exploded! Great!

icrXqhH.jpg

It was chaotic and soaked me down trying to clamp the line off...

jvlLRxF.jpg

That was a fun intermission! Back to the Cruiser!

Gah! I continued digging and found something that made my hate/rage/annoyance/anger/loathing of the previous owner even more severe.

:mad:

The window regulator is toast. The previous owner disconnected the passenger door window switch because he was too :bang: f**king cheap :bang: to fix the regulator. Luckily the motor is still working strong. Time to replace the regulator.

T8BE0rt.jpg

My girlfriend has been disappointed she can't roll down this window, so this job will definitely be worth it.

Before I leave, I'd like to say one thing:

Dear Mr. Ray, you're a freaking butthead. I hate how you treat cars.

(With absolutely no) Love, Mr. Plow.

Last edited:
Next on the list (all parts waiting patiently in the garage):

UCA upgrade with SPC-25455's (from Slee).
Full CV axle replacement.
New driver's side spindle/knuckle assembly.
New wheel bearings.
New rotors.
New brake pads.

Haven't ordered yet but about to:
Passenger window regulator.

"Luxury to-do" once I have the money over the next few months (do not have parts ordered yet):
Front/rear bumper.
Sliders.
Skid plates from Slee.
New front seats.
New wood trim throughout interior.

Next on the list (all parts waiting patiently in the garage):

UCA upgrade with SPC-25455's (from Slee).
Full CV axle replacement.
New driver's side spindle/knuckle assembly.
New wheel bearings.
New rotors.
New brake pads.

"Luxury to-do" once I have the money over the next few months (do not have parts ordered yet):
Front/rear bumper.
Sliders.
Skid plates from Slee.
New front seats.
New wood trim throughout interior.

Are you going Toyota OEM on the CV axles?

Also when you get to you "fun" items, dissent is making some really nice skids you could look into.

Are you going Toyota OEM on the CV axles?

Also when you get to you "fun" items, dissent is making some really nice skids you could look into.

I will be using aftermarket (hold your collective gasps) CV's. NAPA offers a lifetime warranty. I will be breaking CV's regardless if they're OEM or not. I'd rather not pay $250+ every time I snap one. NAPA will give me a new one for free!

And awesome, I'll have to check out his skid's. I'm sure they're superb.

@Mr Plow I look forward to hearing how these NAPA CVs work for you. Please keep us posted.

@Mr Plow I look forward to hearing how these NAPA CVs work for you. Please keep us posted.

Ditto. I ran NAPA CV's in my last F150 and they did great and stood up to some abuse. I know the 100 is a bit more picky on its CV's however.

No real updates for today, I'm still getting around to the window regulator.

Just an observation... this thing sucks gas like no tomorrow. I do 60MPH max on the freeway and accelerate so slow in the city that people get road rage; I'm still barely making 13MPG! LOL!

I found the perfect gif to sum up a UZJ100 and MPG:

tenor.gif

Yeah, these rigs get 13mpg or thereabouts regardless of how they are driven. I find it hysterical. There is no such thing as "hyper-miling" with these. I embrace it and ordered a custom license plate that reads "EATSGAS" :)

Finally got my SPC UCA's installed, along with a new driver's side spindle/knuckle assembly, repacked bearings and new CV axles!

P8neYC9.jpg

One CV boot had a massive crack...

hqixbn6.jpg

And the other? What boot? Boot where?

6DWJgBo.jpg

hVWnidP.jpg

Out they go...

GtfhIWg.jpg

It's aligned now and riding wonderfully! SPC UCA's and new CV's make a world of difference.

How are the new NAPA CV axles working out? Any vibrations at speed or under load?
I curious about your axles as well. The PO of my LC replaced the CV axles with Autozone's reman ones and I have vibration through the 50-60 mph range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom