Mr Plow's "$900 '99 UZJ100" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting a build thread for my "$900 UZJ100"!

WTiN21c.jpg

This car was discovered through my personal mechanic/LC expert Jacob, listed on Facebook Marketplace for $2,200. I went to go check it out and discovered the 2UZFE motor in it was completely blown. Like, bad. Beyond repair. Technically, I know it's possible to destroy the "million mile motor" by neglecting oil and coolant, but wow – I never thought anybody would be that destructive. I was wrong.

Here's what it sounded like at the seller's house when we tried to crank it:

Owner tried telling me that he had a mechanic friend that could fix it without a full engine longblock assembly replacement and decided to use that as a negotiation tactic. I got him down to $900 and towed it away.

Took it home and ran compression tests. Heart sank...

1. 155psi
  2. 45psi
  3. 20psi
  4. 72psi
  5. 72psi
  6. 30psi
  7. 24psi
  8. 35psi
The consensus is that the heater-T exploded and they continued to drive the vehicle until the coolant was completely drained; continuing to drive it more until very, very gnarly things happened inside the motor. Surprisingly, no oil was leaking onto pavement. It was all internal.

Naturally, you know what happens next...

4ooPsU3.jpg

Swapped in a motor with the upmost help of California's finest, Jacob Krogen. We stayed up all night and completed the job in around 16 hours straight. New motor has 130k miles and 210-230psi across the board. Excellent! And at $1,100 shipped it was a total score.

Just have a few more things to figure out regarding some (likely) faulty coil packs and then it'll be running great. There's a lot of things I need to mend to, like new front seats (current ones are AWFUL), window actuators, removal of aftermarket alarm system, key programming, full cosmetic detail, taillight replacement, full hose replacement, etc. but it's coming along.

I also just got some really awesome tires today which I'll post shortly. Stay tuned!

$900, +1100 for a engine, plus some elbow grease on a CA unrusty LC100 = SCORE ....BINGO......ding ding ding ding ding...

Nice find. How many miles on the body?

$900, +1100 for a engine, plus some elbow grease on a CA unrusty LC100 = SCORE ....BINGO......ding ding ding ding ding...

Nice find. How many miles on the body?

235k on the body! Ironically, the transmission appears to be in really good shape. Only mechanical woe from the body now is a creaky CV. Hah!

Last edited:
Sweet grab! She already looks better with the tires, are those MT or AT Toyo's?

Sweet! Bonus points for the Cleveland package gold badges.

sub'd!

Lots of work since I last updated this almost a week ago.

@cruiserfj45 helped me out a ton with the OME 1.5" lift kit. He helped me install the rears and then loaned me all the tools I'd need (including sledgehammer [he's crazy for trusting me with that thing!]) to complete the fronts.

A lot of frustration with torsion bars later, she's complete! And gained well over 1.5" of lift!

U4idA5G.jpg

E6WC31S.jpg

G0XR4Ot.jpg

xnLmXyM.jpg

wbsB9KE.jpg

She crawled through the Sierra ranges like butter and belly didn't scrape once. I'm super impressed! Plus, I can corner now; which the old suspension couldn't. Finally I can drive on twisty roads without scary body roll.

She also got a new alternator thrown in her but her battery light is still illuminated. I am stumped. Hopefully I get to the bottom of it.

Next is a diff drop, belly armor including e-locker actuator guard from Slee; and then to get started on the fun exterior armor stuff.

So far, I am roughly $5,400 give or take a few, into my $900 '99 100 series.

@cruiserfj45 discovered my front end is pretty shot.

Ordered:
Slee's diff drop & upper control arms.
New driver-side spindle/knuckle.
New spindle lock kits.
New rotors.
2 CV reboot kits.

Around $1,300 (the spindle is from a recycle yard).

How did a $900 car turn into a $8,000 one?! ;)

Onwards!

@cruiserfj45

How did a $900 car turn into a $8,000 one?! ;)

Onwards!

The same way my $11k LX got to $18k :) Super jealous and impressed with what you've done with that rig. Thanks for saving it! Also, best of luck on the battery light. I'm electrically challenged, so can be of no assistance with that.

The same way my $11k LX got to $18k :) Super jealous and impressed with what you've done with that rig. Thanks for saving it! Also, best of luck on the battery light. I'm electrically challenged, so can be of no assistance with that.

Thanks for your kind words! I am in love with this truck and wouldn't be surprised if I spend another $15k into it. I plan to have it for the next 15 or so years (until the 200 series drops in price!!).

Battery issue currently only affects the DRL's and the illumination of the warning lamp. Everything is functioning fine otherwise, so I guess I should be happy that it's not a debilitating issue.

I love the 200's. Test drove an '09 and it was glorious. But, it just seems a little too big. The 100 Series are just right IMHO. The fit nicely between the 4Runner and the 200 in terms of size. But, leap years stronger than the 4Runner ;) I plan on keeping my LX until fossil fuels are no longer available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom