MPolley's LX450 Build/ 1FZ Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I had the grille and lights out, I decided to black out the grille and the chrome trim around the lights

I also noticed the power steering cooler was pretty rusty and needed replacing. I love Mr. T, but he is way too proud of the coiled pipe he called a cooler. I picked up a Hayden Transmission Cooler for $26 and a few feet of hose and used that to replace the P/S cooler. This should cool better and is higher up so less likely to get damaged

I took it for a drive tonight for the first time! She drives great, except for a soft brake pedal and an exhaust leak.

The new engine ran great, perfect oil pressure and temperature, and is smooth as silk.

The new suspension setup is MUCH stiffer than all the worn out stock stuff, but it needed to be. The truck used to wallow all over the place like a 70s Cadillac. It's stiff, but still comfortable and smooth.

The shift kit made the trans shift very firm but not too harsh. Shifts are definite, strong, and quick. Some people may not like the feel, but I know loaded down towing the boat it will be excellent.

Tomorrow night I'm going to clean it out and put the console back in and start driving it to work everyday. I am beyond thrilled!

I've driven the truck for about 350 miles now, and the only issues I've had are that the CEL did finally come on for an EGR code, which is expected with the EGR delete I did, and it runs a little hot in slow moving or stopped traffic so I ordered a new fan clutch.

I got my new tires mounted Friday, Cooper AT3 XLT in 285-75-16. They look perfect and ride nice. With the 285s on and still breaking in the engine I got 12.5mpg with the AC on, which is better than the old engine and 265 tires.

And then on Saturday I conquered demons. I took the truck on the trip that killed it last time. Went down to a 100+ year old ice cream shop in Cincinnati and back. The old engine ended its life on the return trip from the same place, so it was a triumphant trip.

I'm scheduled to get the rig on the trail for the first time on the 21st. I'm excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom