More FZJ80 Brake Troubleshooting... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a relatively new 96' FZJ80 owner and it's my first post here so excuse please excuse me being a complete novice.

My brakes went spongy/soft suddenly at a stoplight, and if I pump a couple times they firm up (not always), but it doesn't hold and the pedal just slowly sinks to the floor. I know this a broken record issue, but I've read of everything on here about the spongy/soft brake issue on FZJ80's and taken the suggested steps - here was my process of unsuccessfully fixing the issue:

1. Inspected all brake lines around calipers. No bulging, no leaking detected whatsoever.
2. Flushed old brake fluid and bled all lines (single person method with hose submerged in fluid) with new Dot 3 in this order: Rear PS, Rear DS, LSPV, Front PS, Front DS.
3. Replaced master cylinder with a remanufactured unit from O'Reillys, bench bled and then repeated bleeding all lines in the same order as above (this time bled with 2-person method).
4. Replaced brake booster, with OEM Toyota booster, flushed all fluid from master cylinder again, bench bled and then repeated bleeding all lines in the same order as above (2-person method).

Please can someone offer some suggestions of what I'm missing or what on earth is going on?

Thank you!

I had the same problem and I replaced everything you did as well as added new calipers all the way around. The only way I got really good results was to delete the ABS and the LSPV. My brakes are tight now.

Frozen caliper? Or dreaded bad abs

Last edited:
Frozen caliper? Or dreaded bad abs
Would one frozen caliper cause all the whole system to malfunction? I've had frozen calipers on other cars before, but never had the spongy/soft brake issue along with it.
I'm looking further into the ABS...

I had the same problem and I replaced everything you did as well as added new calipers all the way around. The only way I got really good results was to delete the ABS and the LSPV. My brakes are tight now.
Thanks for the insight - this is interesting, by "deleting" the ABS from LSPV - what does that entail?

Thanks for the insight - this is interesting, by "deleting" the ABS from LSPV - what does that entail?

I used this one as a good reference.

Yet another LSPV/ABS delete how to...

It was actually really simple and you don't really need to buy anything. You could even try it and if you don't like the results, you could just hook it back up.

I used this one as a good reference.

Yet another LSPV/ABS delete how to...

It was actually really simple and you don't really need to buy anything. You could even try it and if you don't like the results, you could just hook it back up.

That's a really helpful reference! I will definitely investigate. Thanks for your help and good to see another Cruiser User from the Duluth area!

That's a really helpful reference! I will definitely investigate. Thanks for your help and good to see another Cruiser User from the Duluth area!

Oh, I didn't even see that you were from Duluth! I have seen a few other 80's around here. One was maroon and I think it had aftermarket bumpers(I saw it from a distance and it was turning), a white one in Superior, two LX 450's and another gold one without running boards like mine. Are you driving one of those?

If you need a hand with anything, feel free to ask. I have a pretty decent shop and would love to meet another Cruiserhead.

A bulged or damaged soft line could do this too.

For record I replaced everything in my brake system....little increases in pedal feel and function along that long journey .......then deleted abs and lsvp. Instant amazing brakes.

A bulged or damaged soft line could do this too.

For record I replaced everything in my brake system....little increases in pedal feel and function along that long journey .......then deleted abs and lsvp. Instant amazing brakes.
Crazy - that seems to be the answer for everyone. Might have to go that route if I can't get the ABS to clear out after a few more bleeds...

Thanks for you input!

Oh, I didn't even see that you were from Duluth! I have seen a few other 80's around here. One was maroon and I think it had aftermarket bumpers(I saw it from a distance and it was turning), a white one in Superior, two LX 450's and another gold one without running boards like mine. Are you driving one of those?

If you need a hand with anything, feel free to ask. I have a pretty decent shop and would love to meet another Cruiserhead.

I have a dark green 80 with an aftermarket front bumper. There aren't too many 80's/450's up in those parts, so I'm familiar with some of those others your mentioned, haha.

Regretfully, I just moved back down to MPLS, but my heart is still up there so we go back up quite often. I'll drop you a line sometime when I'm around! Thanks again for your help!

It sounds like you've done all the right stuff. There was post on this site from another mudder having the same type issue. He activated the ABS a few times and re-bled the brakes and it cured the problem. To activate the ABS have the two left tires on pavement and the two right tires on dirt, gravel, sand, etc. and slam on the brakes a few times (I'd say five or six times) and then bleed the brakes. Give it a try, it might solve the problem.

I went with powerstop ceramic pads and new rotors and it did wonders for me. Before the replacement I had trouble locking the tires on dirt, now I get full abs engagement on a dry road.

I went with powerstop ceramic pads and new rotors and it did wonders for me. Before the replacement I had trouble locking the tires on dirt, now I get full abs engagement on a dry road.
Thanks for the input - I managed to engage the ABS, then flush and now the brakes are pretty firm! I know pads and rotors all the way around this summer will be a necessity though...

It sounds like you've done all the right stuff. There was post on this site from another mudder having the same type issue. He activated the ABS a few times and re-bled the brakes and it cured the problem. To activate the ABS have the two left tires on pavement and the two right tires on dirt, gravel, sand, etc. and slam on the brakes a few times (I'd say five or six times) and then bleed the brakes. Give it a try, it might solve the problem.
Thank you for the help! I managed to successfully engage the ABS, then flushed some more and got all the old fluid and bubbles out of the system. Brakes are nice and firm now!

That's great news.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom