Mod Suggestions after baseline? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings Mudders,

Would like to hear some suggestions of mods for my 80. Baselined my 97 a couple years ago and am ready to get busy with some much long awaited mods. I'm going with the usual lift/lockers/armor.

However, while my 80 still sits at stock height. Are there any suggestions of what mods would be easier while it's low and easier to access (engine bay)? I wanted auxiliary/recovery items in the future. I was thinking alternator upgrade/2nd batt for a future winch and lights.

My near future wishlist is:
(for moderate offloading, not my main vehicle)

35"-37" Wheels & Tires
TJM Prolockers
Kings Remote Resi Shocks
ARB front bumper/12k winch
4x4labs or Seans Rear Bumper
Sliders
Sound System
Fridge
Supercharger or if someone gets the courage to fit the new Cummings 5.0liter in smoothly and cleanly.

Lets hear them!

Thank You Kindly

Only mod to this date, more of a fix it, is that I removed headliner to zap all the holes from the roof rack I removed.

Pick your poison. It willl just start a never-ending list anyways. Sliders first imo.

+1 for sliders as priority if wheeling is in near future.

If you are going to wheel it, armor is a good place to start. All depends on your intended use and the depth of you pockets when you just can't wait any longer to do another mod. I would suggest that when you do your lift do it right. This is not an area to skimp on.

You have to add at least 30 cup holders. This is a real popular Mod most guys can't live without...

In all reality, if you're baselined, fix any remaining issues first. Then go out into the scrub and see what you are uncomfortable with and get into that stuff.

Sliders are a really good place to start if you find yourself in a situation where you need them, otherwise they are just added weight.

Remember that the sc is hard to find these days

I just got through base lining my rig (I hope!) and took it out for its first wheeling trip. I bought the truck with a 2.5" OME lift (really more like 2" front and 4" rear). My priorities after the type of wheeling I did are:

Approach angle, needs more front lift and I need to lose the factory tow hooks in favor of something higher up. Lots of front bumper damage and got hung up on the tow hooks a few times.

Rear tire carrier because I don't want to pop my spare using it as a "rubber skidplate"

Caster improvement: came with the OME yellow caster bushings, but that is not enough. Road manners aren't great.

I'm not going to bother with sliders (I may make a skid for the cats) because the truck is a beater and I don't care if my rockers get beat as long as I can still shut the doors.

Some people just want to throw money at their trucks, and I can totally relate to that, but I was pretty impressed with what my beater could accomplish with 265 tires, F/R lockers and a basic lift. (I think I will need some rear cupholders though!)

My vote is for sliders first. Wish I would have done that, still don't have them :meh:. Thank goodness I've had no time to get out wheeling :bang:.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430857350.267078.jpg

Thanks All to who recommended sliders. Yes, definitely learned the hard way on my tacoma. Armor is definitely a must-do. Especially
since I am in the process of having my whole rig shot with the same sage green color. Got a great quote today from a guy that preps cars
for the movie and commercial business.

What I was really hoping for was suggestions while my rig is still low. I remember on my tacoma once it was lifted with AllPro Offroad bumpers all the way around. Working on engine bay tasks were always more difficult as I am only 5'10", had to use a crate get in there.

Would like to get a decent stereo system/CB/Aux Lights/Fridge/etc in there. What do you guys think of the Alternator upgrade dual batt combo?

Yes, it's going to be a money pit... haha I'm trying to keep it under 20K when it's all said and done. Hopefully that is a realistic number?

Most engine work, I actually take out the air box and just sit in the engine bay with my butt on the passenger fender and my feet where the air box normally lives. I'm 5'8"

Although it's not a mod, it's more of a PM.... Was the PHH done? I would do that too!

The PO of my rig had the PHH done in '06 and I replaced it 3yrs ago... Just for the peace of mind on the road.
Dual batt set up IMHO is good if you're running a lot of stuff, like fridge, inverter, headrest screens, and the like... I, personally upgraded to a Sequioa alternator.

Now if you're talking mods, I'd do the slider before the bumper. And about the pockets being deep, there is no such thing! :cheers: I consider my Cruiser my personalized bank, more of a time deposit status... I keep putting my money in there...

I, personally upgraded to a Sequioa alternator.

I've seen a few people reference this, how difficult is it? Are there directions on how to do it? My alternator bearing is making noise so I need to replace the alt soon.

Someone made an adapter bracket for the alternator, but I thought he no longer made them. Others will know more though.

Myself and a few others went the solar route. I have a 100w panel on the roof rack that makes over 7 amps most of the day and that keeps my battery topped off most of the time. Thinking of changing to a smaller 50w or even 30w panel to save space. Then perhaps a dual battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom