Moab Trip Planning: Help Needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt J

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm planning a trip "out West" to Moab for my 40th birthday next year and could use some help with logistics from those who've been before. I've read about Moab in Four Wheeler magazine since middle school and have always wanted to go, so I've decided to make it happen in 2022!

For background, I have 25+ years of experience riding dirt bikes and ATVs in the mud and woods in the Southeast. I also had a TJ Rubicon a while back that I took off road a few times. But I haven't been on an organized group trail ride or wheeled my new-to-me LC daily driver...no slick rock experience.

I happened upon info about the Cruise Moab event but work may conflict with that, so may have to be later in the year.

So, with all that being said, I'm planning to bring my two closest friends and my son. I had the idea of trailering my Honda Pioneer 700 for two of them to use as a "camera car" and to make the trip more enjoyable for them, so they aren't just passengers the whole time.

Based on reading and discussion with an acquaintance that has ran trails there, I'd like to hit Fins, Hell's Revenge, and maybe Golden Spike (not sure my rig is up to snuff). It's my understanding all the trails are one-way, and there are bypasses on some obstacles. Is bringing the UTV a good idea? Will leaving a small trailer at the trail head be OK? I've read that un-registered UTVs are not allowed on the primary roads, so trying to think through how to "portage" the UTV at trail end.

I haven't gotten into lodging, etc. yet...

Thanks all for any advice/insight/opinions! I'm really excited about the trip!

Hells revenge not one way but typically run from the main parking to back outside the sands flat, I have ran into people doing it backwards

fins and things same thing, kinda boring lots of razors and Tacoma type people fully loaded but scared

golden spike can be run either way, either come from rusty nail (quickest route to the crack) or gold bar, or poison spider. If you are not up to off camber and big stuff rusty nail is not for you.

summer time is hot real hot and a zoo
Just me I live in grand junction bout hr and half, I don’t go over there anymore between end of April till bout October to busy and to hot.
Very very cool place to go and see, would prob be good if you can to go with someone who has been, but like I said there is usually tons of people around unless you go in the wintering ran metal masher with couple buddies in December and we saw no one and had snow, if you can’t fix your rig that is something to think about too

24DC7D45-47A2-4CFF-9890-13AEB5854791.jpeg

60B352F6-057A-4912-8BC6-48152C873724.jpeg

Thanks so much for the info! Do you have any thoughts about bringing the side-by-side for the rest of my crew? Are there usually bypasses for the more dificult obstacles that could be used for it?

hmm... I've always been under the impression Fins and Hell's were one way? I guess only a dick runs them backwards so it's best to just go with the designed flow. ... side by sides are fine for both heels and Fins. Fins is like a roller coaster ride, not super technical but some pucker factor.

Thanks so much for the info! Do you have any thoughts about bringing the side-by-side for the rest of my crew? Are there usually bypasses for the more dificult obstacles that could be used for it?
If I had to guess, yes, absolutely. If you are new to off roading, I suggest doing it in a vehicle that you don't care about mechanically stressing out your chosen vehicle. My dad and I will be passing through in my Model 77 Land Cruiser just to visit and maybe *maybe* do some light trails. I intend to keep my truck forever so I will not be subjugating my car to trail driving. The vehicle I intend to learn how to off road with is a cheap and replaceable side by side called a Mahindra Roxor turbodiesel. I would buy it second hand and never worry about roughing it up on the trails, or driving it underwater. Good luck and have fun!
1627784604609.png

Last edited:
hmm... I've always been under the impression Fins and Hell's were one way? I guess only a dick runs them backwards so it's best to just go with the designed flow. ... side by sides are fine for both heels and Fins. Fins is like a roller coaster ride, not super technical but some pucker factor.
How many times have the Jeep tour rigs passed you going out while you are going in ?

Is there a place to park and chain up a small utility trailer at the trailhead for these trails?

I'm planning a trip "out West" to Moab for my 40th birthday next year and could use some help with logistics from those who've been before. I've read about Moab in Four Wheeler magazine since middle school and have always wanted to go, so I've decided to make it happen in 2022!

For background, I have 25+ years of experience riding dirt bikes and ATVs in the mud and woods in the Southeast. I also had a TJ Rubicon a while back that I took off road a few times. But I haven't been on an organized group trail ride or wheeled my new-to-me LC daily driver...no slick rock experience.

I happened upon info about the Cruise Moab event but work may conflict with that, so may have to be later in the year.

So, with all that being said, I'm planning to bring my two closest friends and my son. I had the idea of trailering my Honda Pioneer 700 for two of them to use as a "camera car" and to make the trip more enjoyable for them, so they aren't just passengers the whole time.

Based on reading and discussion with an acquaintance that has ran trails there, I'd like to hit Fins, Hell's Revenge, and maybe Golden Spike (not sure my rig is up to snuff). It's my understanding all the trails are one-way, and there are bypasses on some obstacles. Is bringing the UTV a good idea? Will leaving a small trailer at the trail head be OK? I've read that un-registered UTVs are not allowed on the primary roads, so trying to think through how to "portage" the UTV at trail end.

I haven't gotten into lodging, etc. yet...

Thanks all for any advice/insight/opinions! I'm really excited about the trip!
I'm on the Cruise Moab committee. The dates are Wednesday, April 27 - Sunday, May 1, 2022.
Hopefully your work won't conflict w/ you making it out.
What LC do you have?
Cruise Moab would be the perfect ice breaker for your first time in Moab.

Last edited:
I have a "hundy" with 2" lift and 33s. More stats in sig. Based on what I've read on the Cruise Moab page, I think I'm setup well enough to run the 6-7 rated trails.

I have a "hundy" with 2" lift and 33s. More stats in sig. Based on what I've read on the Cruise Moab page, I think I'm setup well enough to run the 6-7 rated trails.
I think you'd really enjoy Cruise Moab. It's perfect for the first timer. All the guess work of trails, etc is gone.

@ajordan1975 Can a UTV (side-by-side) be registered for Cruise Moab?

I have been to CM a few times and I think it's your best bet.
There well be other people on the trail with you that have a lot of experience to help if you need it.
Most likely you well need it in a Hundy with only a 2" lift and 33s 🤷‍♂️
I dont think you want to be on the trail with just a side by side as a backup but that just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom