Builds Mike's disaster of a landcruiser project, 1992 "big red" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got new wheels/tires off craigslist to replace my sketchy wheels and tires which were also from craigslist, I think I got a better deal this time, 35x12.5

30467160318_992252926b_b.jpg

30467159748_5aaf84e352_b.jpg

44333965861_830bd9b5f5_b.jpg

I think they look great!

Funny thing about wheels, if I saw those in a catalog I would think 'nope' but they look really good on your truck.

No regear, right? How's the FJ80 gearing do with the 35s?

No regear, right? How's the FJ80 gearing do with the 35s?

Stock gears, about the same around town as the 32”, even slower on the highway than before which was already really slow. I’ll just have to shift down to 3rd more often than before to not slow down up hills. I would like to get 4.88 gears someday.

New windshield installed today. No more crack and pitting! The safelite guy even vacuumed my carpet... lol

Also installed a 4 pin harness for a trailer, it looks like my truck has a factory trailer light controller but someone cut the end of the harness off underneath. I used my meter to figure out which wire did what then installed a plug. Tomorrow I'm picking up a trailer so I can take a bunch of crap to the dump, we'll see how that goes...

30525516458_dde82296d5_b.jpg

Put in a remanufactured cardone 74-20070 1993 camry air flow meter that I got from amazon warehouse deals. Didn't expect much if anything but I'll be damned if it doesn't run stronger than before! Glad I got this thing because it feels noticeably less sluggish and it helps offset the loss from the 35" tires. So far this AFM has made a bigger difference than anything else I've done to the motor including the snorkel or the new FPR, etc...

Same here - I was surprised at mine too. Have you cleaned or replaced your injectors?

Same here - I was surprised at mine too. Have you cleaned or replaced your injectors?

No I’ve just ran injector cleaner through the tank a few times, I kept the injectors out of the old motor to have them gone through but I don’t know when I’ll get around to that.

Unfortunately I might have to put all the emissions s*** back in since I’m moving to California but I’m going to try to keep it registered in Washington at my parents address. Whether or not I can get away with that will determine what I do next with the thing.

No I’ve just ran injector cleaner through the tank a few times, I kept the injectors out of the old motor to have them gone through but I don’t know when I’ll get around to that.

Unfortunately I might have to put all the emissions s*** back in since I’m moving to California but I’m going to try to keep it registered in Washington at my parents address. Whether or not I can get away with that will determine what I do next with the thing.

The reason I ask is because I just ran four cans of Sea Foam through a half tank, which is the first fuel system clean that I've done like that, and it post-dates installation of the cardone 74-20070. Another noticeable bump in power, especially deeper into the power band, noticeable in 3rd and 4th gears: I had to back off at 88 mph on the interstate. That hasn't happened in that truck for probably 12 years. Sea Foam is not an octane booster.; I'm curious to see if the effect holds or is just a temporary artifact of the additive - I don't know sh*t about this stuff beyond the technical information and reviews that I've read.

The reason I ask is because I just ran four cans of Sea Foam through a half tank, which is the first fuel system clean that I've done like that, and it post-dates installation of the cardone 74-20070. Another noticeable bump in power, especially deeper into the power band, noticeable in 3rd and 4th gears: I had to back off at 88 mph on the interstate. That hasn't happened in that truck for probably 12 years. Sea Foam is not an octane booster.; I'm curious to see if the effect holds or is just a temporary artifact of the additive - I don't know sh*t about this stuff beyond the technical information and reviews that I've read.

AFAIK seafoam is a detergent and it probably cleaned a bunch of gunk out, 4 cans seems like a lot for a half tank but I don’t know that much about it either, maybe it’s worth a try. I tried some on a car maybe 12 years back and it didn’t seem to do much to that one.

4 cans of sea foam is approximately a sh#@load! If it works though that's great. I know I use the stuff regularly on my bike, but not in the same quantity.

I suspect it's snake oil and that the effect won't last. It was free; a friend moving unloaded it on me. We'll see. I'll report back.

So I started tearing into it...

37056501284_135f639cee_z.jpg

Normal, dirty engine bay.

37765476681_e4ddee3c5c_z.jpg

Well that's gross, how was it still running? It idled a bit rough and blew white smoke but it wasn't THAT bad?

37507641640_70099ff9c1_z.jpg

Nasty!

Why is everything so rusty? All the coolant hoses were rusty! Why?!

37717783796_d8f45c82fe_z.jpg

Well, I've seen enough. The motor is disgusting and seems to be rusted out inside. I found pieces of metal in the coolant. Not good.

So at this point I'm saving up for a new engine. I will also need a front axle rebuild, and something is up with the front hubs since there was a lot of play in the wheel and a clinking noise coming from the inside of one of the hub cover things (sorry about the terminology, I am a sports car guy I don't know solid axles). Will also need a front bumper, tail lights, and who knows what else at this point.

Akin to a stray cat, now that I have it I'm "stuck" with it. With the truck and tires I have maybe $1500 into it at this point so it could be worse, and to be honest I don't mind a project, although the timing was bad since winter is coming.

The plan now is to save money, research, learn, and get it going this spring. This forum is an awesome resource and I'm very excited to make the truck "mine" and turn it into a long-term reliable adventure slash camping rig.

Here is a bonus picture of my car. My car funds recently went into the cooling system overhaul for this thing (mishimoto, stewart, etc... any BMW guys here?).

37765476991_4574dfc443_z.jpg

Thanks for looking at my thread! I will update it as progress is made, but it might be a while until I get anything significant accomplished.

I have almost this exact same vehicle. I got in lieu of child support and $50 cash. I have put about $5000 in to making it safe and workable, entirely new front and rear braking system, some axle work, new power steering line, new radiator, new tires and this year two new batteries (2nd under warranty), 4 starters (1st one was some old piece of crap, 2 two were rebuilt and under warranty and now I've had a brand new one put in), and then a new alternator a little over a month ago. Want to use it to road trip to Florida with my four children for Christmas, was running great and starting consistently for a month so I decided to put a radio in (there is also a battery switch for some strange reason). Right after I bought the radio the 3rd starter went out and that's when I said put in a new one, as I don't want to monkey with it, and I had them put the radio in at the same time. Went to pick it up yesterday, the radio was getting all sorts of crazy humming through the speaker and then it didn't start!!! What on earth??? I am ready to put this thing to the curb. Any thoughts on what else could be going on?? We've also changed the mounts and battery cables and of course oil changes and spark plugs.

I have almost this exact same vehicle. I got in lieu of child support and $50 cash. I have put about $5000 in to making it safe and workable, entirely new front and rear braking system, some axle work, new power steering line, new radiator, new tires and this year two new batteries (2nd under warranty), 4 starters (1st one was some old piece of crap, 2 two were rebuilt and under warranty and now I've had a brand new one put in), and then a new alternator a little over a month ago. Want to use it to road trip to Florida with my four children for Christmas, was running great and starting consistently for a month so I decided to put a radio in (there is also a battery switch for some strange reason). Right after I bought the radio the 3rd starter went out and that's when I said put in a new one, as I don't want to monkey with it, and I had them put the radio in at the same time. Went to pick it up yesterday, the radio was getting all sorts of crazy humming through the speaker and then it didn't start!!! What on earth??? I am ready to put this thing to the curb. Any thoughts on what else could be going on?? We've also changed the mounts and battery cables and of course oil changes and spark plugs.

SonjaS, What year is your truck?

The one in this thread is 91-92, and it does make a difference.

91-92
93-94
95-97
These are the groups with major changes.

It is not uncommon for aftermarket radio installations to jack with vehicle starting on these trucks. There are some specific wiring things to follow.

Do you have a factory alarm system on your truck?

Either advise here, or create an all-new post with your question. This way we won't crap-up his thread for his truck, as you may have new issues to address.

1992. I don't know if there's an old alarm system on it. But it does do some strange blinking and flashing when you turn the car off. We went through for starters before we even decided to change the radio.

Well I haven't made an update in a while. I did in fact end up moving from WA to CA! The landcruiser managed to tow a full 6x12 u-haul full of most of my earthly belongings. Never doubt the mighty 3F-E.

30874120338_e20fae99c6_b.jpg

it barely, and I mean BARELY fits in my garage - but it does fit if I need to put it in there,

42934215390_e4a4528276_b.jpg

As far as work/parts I haven't really done anything to it since I've moved. Just been driving it a bunch and hauling bikes around.

What I do need to do though, ASAP, is get the AC system back in! I also figure that I'll put the emissions stuff back in at the same time so I can just register it here in CA and be done with it. I might need to replace the speedometer cable too for it to be legit here (?) and I may as well do some fluid changes and general inspection to see what else it needs. That and a few other things are in the works.

Beautiful rig! I've seen a few LCs on here with that spoiler wing above the rear window. Is there a purpose to it other than looks? And I agree, behold the mighty 3FE!!!

Beautiful rig! I've seen a few LCs on here with that spoiler wing above the rear window. Is there a purpose to it other than looks? And I agree, behold the mighty 3FE!!!

I've heard people say it's to keep the rear window clear of dirt and others say aerodynamics. I'm not sure what it's officially for though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom