Michelin ltx a/t 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
MICHELIN LTX A/T 2
I'm digging these tires so far. They replace the Toyo MTR's on my truck and have been great so far, we got a chance to do a little snow/ice/mud driving today. I could not get them to break lose on packed snow/ice, they did not slip at all on the half foot or so of powder we had. The mud we went through was pretty well frozen so no real test there. We picked up a mile or two per gallon on the highway and they are a lot quieter that the Toyos. The side walls are pretty stiff so they still give a more truck like ride, which we like.

DSCN0209.jpg

Great tires. These were OE on my '99, and I've used them ever since.

If they were more aggressive looking I'd get them. Good to see some real world positive feed back.

I Want

When I purchased my BFG's, they told me they were dropping the LTX AT, because the BFG All Terrain was so popular (this is after they merged). I get the BFG and then they came out with the AT2 shortly after.
-
This is my next set as well - thanks for posting the reveiw.

Great tires. These were OE on my '99, and I've used them ever since.
The OE tire was in the LTX series but it was not the AT2. The AT2 has a thicker sidewall and a bit more aggressive tread pattern.
When things thaw out a bit I want to get them out in the mud and see how well the tread clears.

I've had the AT2's in a 275/65R18 for over 2 yrs now...similar fuel economy/noise to a dedicated road tire like the OEM Dueler HT's, but far better traction. The siping is good, but the all-season tire means the rubber is harder than a dedicated snow tire. IIRC, mine have a Michelin mileage wear guarantee (50K mi?). After 3 ft of snow in December, I'd say my RWD sedan w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's are better than the 100 and LTX AT2's. Only mishap I had with the AT2's was I almost went off the road turning on my street (going about 15mph, hit a patch of ice, tried to correct w/ the steering, came to a stop in the snowdrift. With the Alpin PA3's, I'm always amazed at the traction. I can drive at 55mph when I can't even see the pavement, can stop on a huge patch of ice at the bottom of my hill (ABS will kick in, but the 4000 lb vehicle will stop); traction is like the snow isn't even there, yet cornering rivals that of a 3-season tire. I've considered getting Bridgestone Blizzaks for the 100, but we don't get enough snow to warrant that.

Jim,
I agree the rubber compound is a compromise, but (IMHO) unless you live where there is a LOT of snow it really isn't worth investing in a dedicated snow tire. One thing I have done when the roads are particularly bad is drop the tire pressure down. I haven't had these tires long enough to figure out what pressure to run in different conditions but I'll probably start by setting them at around 25 psi.

Update.
We got the best gas mileage in years on our trip to Vegas this weekend.
The worst mileage we got was around 12.5 going from LV to Beaty at 70MPH against a strong head wind.

We re-fueled in Beaty and I dropped the speed to 65mph. We also lost the head wind. The rest of the trip we were up and down cutting across low mountain ranges.

It looks like we got over 15MPG, I'll know for sure when we fill up tomorrow. this is a great improvement over the Toyos. The best I could get out of them in any conditions was around 13 MPG.

The official mileage is 16.5 MPG. Yippieee!!!!

Still not enough snow here to do much of a test. We should have mud when things thaw out.

The official mileage is 16.5 MPG. Yippieee!!!!

Still not enough snow here to do much of a test. We should have mud when things thaw out.

Come up to our neighborhood...we got 8" at our house yesterday...its a white winter wonderland :D

Rusty,

What size tires do you run?

The tallest size I can find is 32.8" in LT285/70R17/D.

I like that these tires do not attract attention, and are rated up to 106 m.p.h.

Any thoughts on how these will be in sand/dunes?

saludos,

Gringo:cool:

Come up to our neighborhood...we got 8" at our house yesterday...its a white winter wonderland :D
We did too but it was all gone before I got out of bed.

Rusty,

What size tires do you run?

The tallest size I can find is 32.8" in LT285/70R17/D.

I like that these tires do not attract attention, and are rated up to 106 m.p.h.

Any thoughts on how these will be in sand/dunes?

saludos,

Gringo:cool:
Mine are 285/75 R16. Based on how the regular LTX tires did on sand I think these will be fine, I'll need to figure out what pressure to run.
I like that they have a thick sidewall, very important in this part of the world.

Ive been running these about a year. Great for me.

I hope your standards aren't too high for the mud category because you came from a mud terrain and the tread doesn't look very deep to begin with. That said i wouldn't mind some more mpg haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom