Wanted Metal spring for FJ40 driver's seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would love to replace all of the springs in my driver and passenger side seats, but would settle for replacing the one metal spring that has been broken as you can see in the photograph below. Does anyone know of a company that sells these springs new? Thanks in advance!

SeatSprings.jpg

I have a pile of springs and side plates for a 1970 FJ40 seat. Springs are 4" tall free height. Let me know how much of any of this you want. Please send a PM. (pix are blurry/crummy - will clean camera lens...)

Thanks - Steve

DSCN1804.JPG

DSCN1806.JPG

DSCN1807.JPG

Going to piggyback on this thread.

I have front bench seats for my 72. Just picked them up yesterday to replace the buckets that came with the truck. They are in great shape overall, but 3rd row from the front of the driver side has broken springs all the way across. I can tell by pressing down that there would be a significant low spot if I don’t fix them before reupholstering the seats, even with the new foams.

I suppose I could have someone weld 2 of the 4 that are just broken in one place, but not sure what that would do to the integrity of the spring and seems like a lot of work.

So...

Anyone have any more springs?? 😁

731412F6-6A44-4CDE-8B3E-EA50A6BCD2CC.jpeg
26143D7D-4F02-4323-AAC1-DA63F6472865.jpeg
86921813-B173-46BD-A6D3-7403B95EFB2B.jpeg

I had two broken springs in my ‘63 seat that I was able to weld back together. The trick was getting the pieces lined up and also a good ground connection (flux wire feed welding). I removed the springs from the seat and worked them on my steel table using magnets to hold and align the pieces together. I stretched and compressed them a fair amount and the welds have held. I love a challenge, especially one where I have no clue whether it’s possible or not 😂, must have skipped that lesson in elementary school.

on edit: looks like at least one of those springs is missing a section, not just broken. If so that’ll have to be replaced. Google upholstery coil springs, there out there just need to match height, coil diameter and wire diameter as best as possible. Good luck.

I had two broken springs in my ‘63 seat that I was able to weld back together. The trick was getting the pieces lined up and also a good ground connection (flux wire feed welding). I removed the springs from the seat and worked them on my steel table using magnets to hold and align the pieces together. I stretched and compressed them a fair amount and the welds have held. I love a challenge, especially one where I have no clue whether it’s possible or not 😂, must have skipped that lesson in elementary school.

on edit: looks like at least one of those springs is missing a section, not just broken. If so that’ll have to be replaced. Google upholstery coil springs, there out there just need to match height, coil diameter and wire diameter as best as possible. Good luck.

Good call. I don’t see any springs online that taper down at the bottom like these do, but I suppose if I order some that are an inch or so taller than I need I can cut them down. For the $25 or so, it’s worth a shot anyway!

I’ll report back if I have any luck!

I wonder if you couldn't find any coil seat springs from an old car a junkyard or hot rod shop. They might have something lying around that you could scavenge. This place sells seat springs in seat back/bottom assemblies:

Maybe search the internet for the supplier that makes these springs, or get the spring steel wire and wind your own ;)

Check this out: Springs

How about $1.66 each? - Coil Springs 8"

Last edited:
Thank you @hyhpe for reaching out! I should have plenty of springs to keep me busy now! :cool:

If anyone stumbles on this thread and needs a spring or two, let me know and I should have an extra or two to help out.

What, you aren't even going to try and weld them? :p

What size did you end up going with? 8”?
I have a 3/71 drivers seat that could use new springs
Oof, I don’t remember. I was fortunate enough to find a donor. I think my buddy still has the donor seat sitting at his place back in California (I moved to texas), so could ask him if needed.

Oof, I don’t remember. I was fortunate enough to find a donor. I think my buddy still has the donor seat sitting at his place back in California (I moved to texas), so could ask him if needed.
Thanks for the offer! I’m not ready to tear into my seat yet so I’ll let you know.

Gentlemen,

I have sourced and started restoring a 60/40 bench for my 69 FJ40. The paint has cured and the new seat covers have arrived. The only thing stopping me now is two broken springs (and a toolbox). Anyone have a couple they can let go?

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom