Memorial Day Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chap79

Wheel. Break. Fix. Repeat.
SILVER Star
Threads
If anyone is interested I'm planning on going out to JT Memorial Day Weekend. Planning on entering the park through Berdoo Canyon Saturday morning then heading out to the BLM area via Old Dale/Brooklyn Mine to camp.

Memorial Day Weekend

Sounds like fun, if I didn't have to work the family and I would join you.

If anyone is interested I'm planning on going out to JT Memorial Day Weekend. Planning on entering the park through Berdoo Canyon Saturday morning then heading out to the BLM area via Old Dale/Brooklyn Mine to camp.

Memorial Day Weekend

Since nothing was set in stone at the meeting; I'm thinking about running Berdoo Canyon, Brooklyn Jeep Trail, and putting around the Old Dale Mine area that weekend. For those unfamiliar this is area just outside of Joshua Tree. Anyone interested in going?

Lockers aren't needed for these trails but they do get a little narrow in certain spots. Lots of great old mining artifacts can still be found out there.

I'm planning on camping at least Saturday day night out in the BLM area somewhere. No toilets, water, civilization, or anything near by.

Hmmm, very tempting.
Very narrow... Pinstripes mandatory?
No lockers... got them anyway, 33's OK (lazy, I got 35's too)

Kids OK? I usually take my son with me off roading (11yo)

Hmmm, very tempting.
Very narrow... Pinstripes mandatory?
No lockers... got them anyway, 33's OK (lazy, I got 35's too)

Kids OK? I usually take my son with me off roading (11yo)
I've run everything out there with 285s and a 2.5" lift. There are a few narrow spots but not a lot of vegetation. Careful driving avoids must pinstriping out there when going through the washes.

Family is always welcome. But be aware that there are open mines out there. If you have a kid or a pet that blindly likes to run I'd recommend keeping them on a lead in certain areas. Some of the vertical shafts are over 100 ft deep.

I'll be bringing my dog.

He is really well behaved. I don't need to tell him twice what not to do.
I'm probably on 1.5" - 2" lift (fr/rr) on 285' most of the time.

The toughest sell for me would be to tell him there is no internet at all. In your case, I know for sure, dogs don't care.

Due to the mountains out there I have never gotten cell service in that area. Have him save a few movies and play games in an offline mode if available for the evenings.

I also usually bring firewood since there isn't anything out there to scavenge and nothing close by for quick supply runs.

And of course lots of water.

Gotta start on gathering all the stuff I need.
Had some plans for a sleeping platform, which has never materialized, water containers, stove/gas, window socks from LCP, window shades (maybe heavy duty black trash bags with lots of painter's tape.
Been slacking a lot.

Here's the plan:

Saturday 27 May
Meet at the Loves gas station on the north side of I-10 on Dillon Rd at 1100. From there head up to Berdoo Canyon Rd and take that up to JT NP. Once in the park head east to Old Dale/Gold Crown Rd. Follow the road out of the north side of the Park to BLM and set up camp.

Sunday
Explore the area. There's lots of roads and sites to explore. I will be packing up my site and possibly camping at a different location for Sunday night. Due to the remoteness of the area I wouldn't recommend leaving gear unattended for extended periods. It looks like the hills have eyes but without mutants.

Monday
Drive back early to avoid Holiday traffic.

If I get everything in order, I would be there for just one night (Sat -Sun).
Cool. It's easy to escape out of the BLM area via Gold Crown Rd and take hwy 62 back to I10. Much faster then driving back through the park.

@Bryanfzj80 @bhicks @ewillis ???

Check out the other thread linked in the OP.

Still debating. Looking at either JT or Big Bear fishing. Wife's in San Diego so I have the kids (8-4). I'll know for sure by Wed. what the hell I'm doing :). If I hit JT, I'll be in an established campground Friday and Sat, but down to hit Berdoo canyon with you guys. :steer:

Never thought about the pool noodle to pad the bucket. Good idea.

Do you need the air pump if you're bringing your compressor? I guess having some sort of backup solution it always beneficial.

Also I know you'll only be out there for two-ish days, but if taking a standard cooler(ice chest) I recommend block ice. I do a lot of 3-5 day desert trips and freeze 1 gallon water jugs to out in the cooler. Four of them fit perfectly in the bottom of my Coleman marine cooler and have lasted the entire duration of my trips. Plus the ice being in the container it doesn't get everything all wet. And you could drink it if you happened to run out of water.

The air chuck on the compressor is too small for the mattress. It's really not that bad to pump it by hand. I have done it before a few times.

I'll probably use some 2L soda bottles in that case. The jugs will crack if frozen, that way the bottles will be just fine with some air left inside, not topped off of course.probably throw some ice cubes inside too.

As a kid, when I went camping with my grandparents, we never had a cooler or a fridge with us. I'll be able to rough it out.

I will be in Big Bear on either Friday or Sunday running some trails if anyone wants to join. I have Friday off work. Already have plans on Saturday and Monday. Not sure what trails I will be running. Will heavily depend on who I can get to join me. Friday would be the ideal day since the entire day is open and it would be just ahead of the holiday crowds on the trails.

Dang i would be happy to join you guys on any trail run. But my trucks got a blown headgasket and my plan was to finish putting everything back together this weekend

I've used a little piece of duct tape over the filling port and poked a small hole it to allow for using a blow nozzle.

Been using these bottles for two years now with no issue. Leave about a cup of water to allow for expansion.
IMG_4769.JPG

Yes, I bought a chest freezer just for keeping frozen bottles of water for camping. Cheaper than a fridge setup.

Are these the two points on the map you mentioned earlier?
Love's gas station being the meeting place?

Here's the route I have planned in a nutshell for Saturday. (The stars mark main mining sites that I have been to in the past.)

Memorial Day Trip.jpeg

Memorial Day Trip2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom