Mechanic recommendations in C-bus area (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone take their Toyota’s to Luke’s auto or Japanese Auto Service in Columbus? Mine was just at the dealer doing recall work and they found a few things.

Honestly, it depends on your location. I'm on the west side of Cbus and i use Japanese Auto Service. Dave who is the owner has a '98 or '99 LC daily driver with almost 290k miles on it so i trust him with my LX470. I took it to him after i bought it and he gave me a list of things that should be done soon due to time, but didn't to pressure or sell me anything. Just had my civic there today actually. I quoted a major service from both Luke's and JAS for my LX470 (timing belt, etc) and it's comparable. Luke's for me is just way out of the way even considering they offer a loaner car. If it was in my backyard i would be comfortable using Luke's. I spoke with Aaron and he was a straight shooter as well. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss more.

Honestly, it depends on your location. I'm on the west side of Cbus and i use Japanese Auto Service. Dave who is the owner has a '98 or '99 LC daily driver with almost 290k miles on it so i trust him with my LX470. I took it to him after i bought it and he gave me a list of things that should be done soon due to time, but didn't to pressure or sell me anything. Just had my civic there today actually. I quoted a major service from both Luke's and JAS for my LX470 (timing belt, etc) and it's comparable. Luke's for me is just way out of the way even considering they offer a loaner car. If it was in my backyard i would be comfortable using Luke's. I spoke with Aaron and he was a straight shooter as well. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss more.

Thank you sir! I need to take a look under the hood still. It was parked all weekend.

Thank you sir! I need to take a look under the hood still. It was parked all weekend.

You're welcome. Also, if you went to Toyota West...don't. They're fine for oil changes and parts. That's the whole reason i went to JAS/Luke's in the first place. I took it to Toyota to get tires replaced because it was surprisingly the best deal near me, but they told me i had a leaking water pump and hood struts failed. Water pump was not leaking (cooling system pressure test confirmed) and hood struts have never failed on me. They were eager to sell me on a timing belt job.

You're welcome. Also, if you went to Toyota West...don't. They're fine for oil changes and parts. That's the whole reason i went to JAS/Luke's in the first place. I took it to Toyota to get tires replaced because it was surprisingly the best deal near me, but they told me i had a leaking water pump and hood struts failed. Water pump was not leaking (cooling system pressure test confirmed) and hood struts have never failed on me. They were eager to sell me on a timing belt job.
No I took it over to Germain Lexus. They tried to sell me a serpentine belt because it was at 90k. I checked the belt and it looked great to me.

No I took it over to Germain Lexus. They tried to sell me a serpentine belt because it was at 90k. I checked the belt and it looked great to me.

My wife's CPO RX is serviced at Germain in Dublin for another 1.5 yrs, but will be going to JAS as soon as its out of warranty, and also a few months before warranty is up to see if anything needs to be addressed by Germain. Germain has been great, but i'm pretty sure their service advisers earn a commission, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt unfortunately.

My wife's CPO RX is serviced at Germain in Dublin for another 1.5 yrs, but will be going to JAS as soon as its out of warranty, and also a few months before warranty is up to see if anything needs to be addressed by Germain. Germain has been great, but i'm pretty sure their service advisers earn a commission, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt unfortunately.
That’s too bad. I know dealerships make most of their money on service but there needs to be a happy middle ground. I’m up in Delaware and I hear horror stories about the dealer up here so I’m willing to drive. Columbus isn’t that big.

Jim at TLC Performance is a personal friend of mine. He is really busy and in order to get work done he has to devote his time to actually fixing things. He oversaw the restoration of my FJ40 several years ago. Even back in 2012, he had an 8 week turn around on carb rebuilds. I imagine it has never slowed for him. FJ40Jim is very methodical and conscientious about his craft and cannot be rushed. My first suggestion would be to get the factory manuals and see what is involved - whether it is something you can tackle. My second suggestion would be to take it to a mechanic whom I have used for work on used imported cars. As the father/stepfather of 4 driving teenagers at one time, I bought a lot of used cars. Brad at Imports Plus Automotive has always been very competent and knowledgeable. He has a great crew, also. He never takes advantage of a customer and is straight shooter. He has offered to work on my FJ40 and I will be contacting him soon. I need my starter sent out to be rebuilt and an oil change. Since my right hand got nerve damage I can't wrench anymore. Check out their FaceBook page at Imports Plus Automotive
Ted
Thanks Ted,, all moved out...? Ross your ex neighbor

I ran out of tools/talent rebuilding the transfer case on a 69FJ40. I took it to Tilton Automotive on Huntley in Worthington. They do trucks, service vehicles, etc. We worked a deal where I would buy the parts and they would provide the labor. They did a great job. Ended up having them also do tie rod ends and a balance and align. If I need things in the future that eclipse my mechanical ability, I will go to them.

I'm not one for self promotion but I work at a shop just outside of Dublin in Plain City. We specialize in vintage cars but work on anything. We also have a body shop if you need paint work. We have a very nice 1972 FJ45 in the shop right now and I will snap a pick to share but here are a few of the other vintage off roaders we have worked on. The Vanagon is the bosses and the Defender was a customers. I would have worked on the Defender for free.

FullSizeR.jpg

20200428_115718.jpg

Is that a Sierra Nevada bus in the back?

Of sorts. A local Beer distributor had it converted into a keg wagon. All of the interior and drivetrain are removed. It has taps on the other side. It came with a trailer hitch and you can tow it behind a truck. We bought it on Craigslist a few years ago when we only worked on Vanagons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom