May ROTM- 5/30 Coconino NF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is anyone bringing their kids? Tina and I are thinking about it. Mine are 10-14 years old.
Let me know.

Thank you.
I'm bringing my 10 year old girl and 15 year old boy.

I think some of you "top ten" folks need to be listening to your consciences a little more earnestly. Things like "I really need to clean out that garage before it gets too hot - probably a better use of my time than trapsing around the desert with CSC", or, "

Already too hot in the garage plus while it may be desert it's high desert on top of the rim much cooler than here in the valley. I'm number 9 and lucky I posted again after my first post which I didn't make clear I wanted to go. Good thing next year who knows if I can get out of the nursing home to go.:rolleyes:

Personally my guess at number 11 a spot will open up. Murf is much younger than myself and has already said end of the month is hard to get away. I suggest you give CBT a request that will keep Murf busy that weekend.:hmm:

We are getting closer and could use a few more details. How stock friendly is the trail? Trying to decide whether my FJ40 or FJ62 would be better suited to the trail. I remember once on top you have to look for a place to get in trouble. My first trip in my Fj40 which was in this area I learned it's better to drive over a log with both wheels on a axle at the same time. That way you don't end up high centered on the diff.:oops: Second with the rains we've been having is there any restrictions on campfires?

Regretfully I can offer no more details. The trail is seasonally closed until just before Memorial Day. We will be the 2nd permitted group of the season to go up Casner. Per my contact at the USFS, no official FS reports were available as of last wk. I just received the paper permit with the new gate code 2 days ago. As there is no way to pre-run this permitted trail, we will just have to go and be prepared.

I have been on the trail 2x, but not within the last 4 or 5 years. Both times it would have been stock Cruiser friendly… but barely. If you have doubts about it being stocker friendly… I just don't know, be prepared to stack rocks and take a strap. There is a very good probability that it will be stocker friendly, but I don't know what ma nature has done to the trail in the 6 months since it was last traveled. It may be no more technical than your driveway, but I will be prepared for much worse.

As of now, there are no campfire restrictions in the Coconino NF. This could change in 3.5 wks, but recent moisture will help. Regardless, if it is windy or dry (very high probability of those conditions), I will NOT be having a campfire. I fully expect no campfires (even if they are allowed) at the end of May. That is just poor judgement, and I don't want any of us to be "that idiot with a campfire that caused the Casner fire." If conditions are favorable… marshmallows will be roasted!

Meeting time/location to be posted up in another week or so.

Last edited:
Fair enough, probably take my FJ62 since it has taller tires. Worse case I bring my 3rd generation 4Runner. As for campfires I've always had them when available. Really can't judge everybody the same. I've seen the forest service allows fires during hunting season it was really to dry. But they have also done controlled burns in the spring when it was windy and only getting warmer. Heading up 260 just before the junction with 87 there is a area a Hot Shot crew were doing a controlled burned at the beginning of the fire season and it got out of control. Instead of just a ground burn a number of pines were burned. Over all wasn't a bad thing but could have turn into a huge fire with the weather working against them. I've always carried a cheap Harbor Freight rake that the handle slides inside solely for the purpose of raking a wide area around the fire ring with stack rocks. Don't have the fire so it's under tree branches than wind really decides whether to have a fire or not. There is also a difference between a campfire and bonfire. The type that cause fires are the ones who either leave their campfire unattended or those who feel it's not a fire unless the flames are six feet high. It's a lack of common sense that causes fires. Just like the forest service closing the area behind Mount Eden. Some backpackers caused a forest fire by leaving their fire unattended. Excess to the area was limited making harder to fight the fire. Next summer a girl lost her life by the flooding it caused. Pitch it's your run so if you say no fires I have no problem. The Coconino Forest is special to me and will not anything to harm it or give anyone a excuse to close more of it off to offroad use.

:cheers:

I'd like to still attend this trip, but I'm driving a K5 now... :ban:

Loren >They all come back around to Toyota in the end. In the meantime while you wait to figure this out, I would say youre more than welcome to take it out on any CSC runs... just bring a tow strap :hillbilly:

Possibly. It will either be:

A) My wife, myself and our four daughters
Or
B) Me and the dog. Oscar, a yellow lab.

20131211_152707.jpg

We're bringing are 2

Last edited:
Rudy is going

Rudy keeps asking...Dad when are we going camping?

100_4922.JPG

Oscar wants to know if we can take this car.

IMG_1499.jpg

"Me too," says Oscar.

IMG_5933.jpg

looks like there will be a good showing of dogs on this trip !!!!!

Last edited:
image.jpg

We will have the kids 4yr old girl and 8 yr old boy. I refuse to bring any of our 4 dogs, 1 cat, or 1 lizard with us. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom