May ROTM- 5/30 Coconino NF (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are there any alternate routes that would allow others to join and then route around the 8 mile special use section and rejoin the group?

Interesting question but I some how doubt it. Not many places you can drive up the rim on dirt and be legal. On the east side of interstate 17 there was road off Stoneman Lake Rd that was close but believe they opened again. West of 89A would be hard to find something else legal. Without looking at a FS map I want to say the road on top is #231 but it been I'm guessing fifteen years since I've been over there. Only thing limiting speed is dust and washboard. While I think fire restrictions will be in place by then a early morning drive around the top of the rim might spot some game in the area. For those heading back to the valley heading Fry Park and then either driving back to Sedona on 89A or cutting across to Interstate 17 would be faster then driving back on Woody Mountain Rd. You cross over interstate 40 and end up at the west end of Flagstaff on old Route 66. If I drive a LC it will have leaf springs and washboard/dust are not my idea of fun. That is hunt unit 6B which was one of the main areas I hunted when I lived in Flagstaff. I still have memories of having to slow on that road in my 68 because the upper section of the early two piece doors was banging against the door headers so hard I couldn't even think straight. Dust is bad enough with one vehicle, think of a caravan driving at forty miles a hour.

None that are terribly convenient. The other ways around by vehicle are Perkinsville Rd, FR 354 (Great Western Trail), 89A, and Schnebly Hill Rd. None are very close, but all are special in their own way. The easiest way would be to backtrack from 89A to FR535 to FR231 (Woody Mtn Rd) and head south to wherever we fall down for the night.

Another option is for another group to get a permit for Sunday. This would be a different week per FS regs. The second group could camp out with those of us that ascended Casner on Sat, and then head down the mountain on Sunday. I personally don't want to do that, but it allows for the group to camp together and still be within permit regs.

"Grey Turd" :D

Do you know Loren (FTBShop) up in Flagg?

"Grey Turd" :D

Do you know Loren (FTBShop) up in Flagg?

That is his mud name (family owns the Finishing Touch Body shop in Scottsdale). His name is Loren and an active member of CSC - currently a student at NAU. He had a 60 for a while and now drives an 80. Was curious if you knew him?

Don't know him. Maybe I'll run into him around town. My wife and I always have our cruiser eyes on when we're about so we can say "hello" to other Cruiser owners.

I'd like to be added to the waiting list.

I haven't yet joined CSC, but I plan to.

New guy who also drives a 62 I did a quick search of your posts. I have two questions

1. You were selling your Taco bought the 62 because the wife didn't want to learn to drive a stick and then you have a H55F installed. How did that happen? Bought my 62 back in 1993 for the same reason. Wife still refuses to learn to drive a stick. Only time she drives it now is to back up the US 3/4 ton M101 when we dump it at the slash pit in the Blue Ridge area. Just that little bit could get interesting with a stick shift.:lol:

2. Now with the five speed do you still think it's a turd?

Lol. Good questions.

1. I convinced her that the five speed was the only “reasonable” solution to the overheating auto. She agreed to learn. We went out last weekend, and she drove it around on dirt roads in 4 low. She can be a little quick on the clutch release, but overall did great. A couple times I turned and looked out the back expecting to see my new trans laying in the road. :censor:

2. I won’t win any races against the 80s in the CSC, but no…not a turd. :cool: Not unless I’m frustrated, like finding a leaky tcase switch the other day. :bang: You’re more than welcome to take it for a spin sometime to see the difference. It’s AWESOME!!! Well worth the time spent teaching someone to drive a standard.

Last edited:
Might take you up on the test drive. If you can't get in on the May run maybe some when I get to Flagstaff which doesn't happen enough.

Just be glad it's just a leaking transfer case switch, I need to pull the T/T together and reseal the T case and replace the rear seal on the engine.

Anytime on the test drive.

I'd also be interested in assisting with any wrenching if you're doing the work in Flag....and by assist I mean watch and drink beer. :beer:

I think FTBShop is now driving a Toyota mini truck. Was an 86 or 87 navy blue but he may have an 83 tan mini now.

FTBShop is post number 18 in this thread, he may be driving a 83 tan mini truck now

Do we have an official list of who's going on this run given the permit's 10 car limitation? Is it based on posted response order?

Didn't think to reread the first post. Been a long day!

definitely looking forward to this trip. should be a good one

Is anyone bringing their kids? Tina and I are thinking about it. Mine are 10-14 years old.
Let me know.

Thank you.

I think some of you "top ten" folks need to be listening to your consciences a little more earnestly. Things like "I really need to clean out that garage before it gets too hot - probably a better use of my time than trapsing around the desert with CSC", or, "it's fido's birthday that day and we did promise him a spa and pedi this year", or, "if I go on this run I might get some scratches on my WHITE rig and that won't look cool at our next meeting". Listen to your conscience, it's always right.

:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom