mattcheston's 1/87 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently decided to take off my carburetor and rebuild it, which was my first big-ish project on the Land Cruiser. To be honest it was fairly overwhelming considering my unfamiliarity with carbureted engines and the amount of vacuum systems in a USA smog compliant FJ60, but the community at ih8mud was a huge resource in getting my truck back together. Seems like a good place to log what I'm doing to it this week.

This was the truck when I test drove it for the first time - June 26, 2016. I rode my motorcycle four hours from Boulder to Aspen to do so, both ways on the same day. It was an experience to say the least.

I bought it and drove it home a little more than a week later on August 2.

bNcCRmh.jpg

Eventually around September 2016 I turned my carburetor into a horrifying pile of parts on my living room coffee table. It took me until April 2017 to get it back together with limited time to work on it, but I did an extremely thorough cleaning and rebuild.

Just a regular day in the kitchen:

a8ba1g4.jpg

I finally had the truck running again on April 15, 2017.

Snapchat caption in the photo, sometimes that's all I have in my phone's Camera Roll at the end of the day. You can see some other odds and ends in the background that got replaced along the way too, like a new OEM windshield washer bottle and pump. Eventually I replaced all of the 3.5mm ID vacuum lines to the carburetor (including the A/C idle up line that isn't shown as new in the below photo). It's also gotten some other basic things like windshield wipers, a Dual MAR16B FM antenna, a new fuel filter, and an air filter.

NjCvflR.jpg

Yeah nice eye @Output Shaft ....that's one of the handful of 5.5mm ID hoses that I need to replace. I did put it back on but it's loose enough to fall off every once in a while, same with the HIC source under the air cleaner.

Also it was not nearly that shiny before the rebuild. Lots and lots of time with cleaner and brushes. Here are some before/just starting pics:

97D8hak.jpg
sJGLNNL.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel bad for posting so many "help me!" threads, but they really do help move me forward.

Right now in the middle of a huge clutch system revamp, with some other bits too.

Refurbished the bell housing, replaced the starter, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, resurfaced the flywheel, new stainless line for the entire length of the clutch hydraulics, new clutch master and release cylinder, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and a ton of odds and ends and bolts and clips that go with all that. There's a new starter too, but that was technically before I started this project. Most of the stuff I took off wasn't Toyota/Aisin, so I'm feeling pretty good about all this. With the exception of the stainless line, everything else in this list is Genuine Toyota replacements.

ZPlQ4n8.jpg
mgfAU76.jpg

Good work and good looking 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom