Master Cylinder Question

I have a 78 40 with the 30 year old stock braking system on it and I was preparing for a trip this weekend after it had sat for most of the winter without being run. I noticed the reservoir for the rear brakes was low so I filled it up and figured life is good. I came out the next morning to find a puddle under the cruiser and all of the fluid had leaked out. It is not leaking from the reservoirs but where the master cyl bolts onto the brake booster. I have never replaced the master cylinder and do not know what it would take, 4 bolts? But I wanted to see if anyone could help me diagnose the problem.

Thanks!

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Sounds like you are leaking out the back.

I replaced my '78 MC w/ one from Toyota - Cruiser Dan at American Toyota.

You can do a bench bleed, I didn't.

4 bolts and two line fittings and two electrical connections.

Bleed the brakes and you are good to go!

Some people get an early 80 series MC. I think these are a different bore size, so I cannot remember if pedal effort goes up or down...

Anyone comment on the 80 series MC's?

You need to try to find a rebuilt one. I found one for $120, with $50 off if I gave them the core out of my old one. I purchased this one from NAPA - about $70 when I gave them the core out of mine.

You need to try to find a rebuilt one.

I totally disagree. I'd go with a new OEM unit from Cruiser Dan.

Lots of times when they leak fluid out the back it will get into the booster and ruin that too. :crybaby: Check to see if it will hold vacuum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom