Massive dilemma LX600 F sport or Keep the 21 Heritage edition (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d been meaning to ask (was going to start a new thread) but I’m curious what the typical owner demographic of the LC is? I can’t imagine it’s a mid to late 30’s, single male with no family yet here I am haha. It’s funny to me because 5 years ago a LC wasn’t even on my radar and now I look for one nearly every day.
Wow, I'm apparently way out of the perceived demographic:

Almost 70, retired, married, the LC is my only (running) vehicle, my wife has a 2016 Mazda CX-5. Factory jobs my entire career, wife was optician, so never a combined income anywhere near six figures. We usually buy our vehicles new, and keep them for 8-12 years. We live frugally, bought a cheap house and paid it off early, and saved like crazy for retirement.

An investment advisor friend of ours tells us that they were taught to look for older, well kept modest homes, with "big trees, fat squirrels, and a Buick in the garage." That's where true wealth lives. I think it was from the book "The Millionaire Next Door."

Last edited:
My wife went and drove the LX600 on Friday and loved it. I bought the car yesterday and traded in the 200 series for the 300 series. IMHO the 200 series is built way better and is much heavier driving. The LX is a nice car for sure and it’s built well, but nothing like the HE I had. I don’t regret buying the LX because it’s her car and that’s what she wanted. If it was my DD i would have kept the 200 HE LC….I did buy the F sport and will need to swap the 22” wheels, why the heck they put those on it I have no idea. I’ll be going to Vossen 20 inch wheels with a AT tire for the mountains, and will be costing slee in Golden CO to see options for sliders, bumpers and roof racks…

9A2ED908-3D2C-4244-B93F-E96162C9B1C2.jpeg

08CA5BE5-02CD-41A1-87AD-9506572B4F3C.jpeg

1ABF5575-4F8C-4F91-950B-7F539AC086FB.jpeg

FD8815AA-3056-4FF3-9556-F77C8ABA93F3.jpeg

My wife went and drove the LX600 on Friday and loved it. I bought the car yesterday and traded in the 200 series for the 300 series. IMHO the 200 series is built way better and is much heavier driving. The LX is a nice car for sure and it’s built well, but nothing like the HE I had. I don’t regret buying the LX because it’s her car and that’s what she wanted. If it was my DD i would have kept the 200 HE LC….I did buy the F sport and will need to swap the 22” wheels, why the heck they put those on it I have no idea. I’ll be going to Vossen 20 inch wheels with a AT tire for the mountains, and will be costing slee in Golden CO to see options for sliders, bumpers and roof racks…

View attachment 3252316

View attachment 3252317

View attachment 3252318

View attachment 3252319

I don’t know if I should say congratulations or condolences! LOL

Glad your wife likes it and hope you get to enjoy it as well!

As they always say - happy wife, happy life :) . The bottom line is that you made the best decision for your particular situation, so congratulations. I could certainly be wrong and I haven't been following the 300 series forum (I did just take a really quick look over there), but I have a hunch it will be a while before bumpers, sliders, etc. are available for the 300 series from places like Slee.

Should have sold that 200 private party. Hope the LX pans out but I have a feeling it will be swapped out for something different in 2-3 years when it feels "old."

Should have sold that 200 private party. Hope the LX pans out but I have a feeling it will be swapped out for something different in 2-3 years when it feels "old."
It partly depends on how sales tax is handled. Here in Massachusetts, when you trade in you only pay sales tax on the difference. So if you pay $100K for the new one and get a trade of $90K on the old one, you only pay the 6.25% sales tax on $10K ($625). If you sell the old car privately, you pay sales tax on the entire $100K ($6250). Another difference is once you trade in a vehicle, the dealer who takes it is the one who deals with ANY issues on the old vehicle (there shouldn't be any on a low mileage 1-2 year old Land Cruiser, of course). But the point is that it doesn't really make sense to deal with the hassles of a private sale unless you're going to get a LOT more money that way and can afford to have the money tied up in the meantime while you wait for a sale that could take a day or many months to happen.

If the LX is traded in a few years for something else the wife is interested in, just revisit the "happy wife, happy life" thing :).

If the LX is traded in a few years for something else the wife is interested in, just revisit the "happy wife, happy life" thing :).

I get that part and respect it 100%. I'm just getting cranky about seeing so many "should I trade in my 200 for..." threads
in the tech forum when I'd rather be reading about actual tech. Especially if the chief complaint is gas mileage and outdated infomat systems. I'm an older millennial and I couldn't tell you what Apple car play is. I don't think fuel cost is an issue for the OP either, rather the inconvenience of regular fill ups..which can be annoying but is easily solved by a 24g aux tank.

As they always say - happy wife, happy life :) . The bottom line is that you made the best decision for your particular situation, so congratulations. I could certainly be wrong and I haven't been following the 300 series forum (I did just take a really quick look over there), but I have a hunch it will be a while before bumpers, sliders, etc. are available for the 300 series from places like
It partly depends on how sales tax is handled. Here in Massachusetts, when you trade in you only pay sales tax on the difference. So if you pay $100K for the new one and get a trade of $90K on the old one, you only pay the 6.25% sales tax on $10K ($625). If you sell the old car privately, you pay sales tax on the entire $100K ($6250). Another difference is once you trade in a vehicle, the dealer who takes it is the one who deals with ANY issues on the old vehicle (there shouldn't be any on a low mileage 1-2 year old Land Cruiser, of course). But the point is that it doesn't really make sense to deal with the hassles of a private sale unless you're going to get a LOT more money that way and can afford to have the money tied up in the meantime while you wait for a sale that could take a day or many months to happen.

That’s exactly why I traded it in, the tax benefit is significant and it’s hassle free other than dealer completely trying to take advantage of you. I had three buy offers before I walked in knowing they were going to try to low ball me. They sold me the LX for MSRP which is tough to find in Colorado anyway. Once I sent them the buy offers the tone changed a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom