Mass Air Flow problems. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I posted another thread a few months ago about rough idle and stalling. I narrowed it down to the connection of the wire harness with the MAF. I was able to find a new OEM connector from my local Toyota and replaced the wires with OEM as well. Unfortunately it didn’t help the loose connection and I ended up taking it to my local mechanic for help. He tried a few thing with no success. He seems to think the problem is with the MAF. As most of you know the MAF is discontinued 22250-66010. I was hoping If anyone has had success or tried the aftermarket ones from China that are on EBAY? Open to any suggestion as well. I have some big trips planned at the end of August through the winter months and need to get trail ready. Thanks

94 FZJ80
232k and was in perfect condition.

I had to go with an aftermarket one. My shop ordered it out of Japan, but I have no idea who made it. It’s been in the truck for a couple of years and seems fine. I’ve also seen rebuilt units for sale from time to time. I considered picking one up to have as a spare.

So I posted another thread a few months ago about rough idle and stalling. I narrowed it down to the connection of the wire harness with the MAF. I was able to find a new OEM connector from my local Toyota and replaced the wires with OEM as well. Unfortunately it didn’t help the loose connection and I ended up taking it to my local mechanic for help. He tried a few thing with no success. He seems to think the problem is with the MAF. As most of you know the MAF is discontinued 22250-66010. I was hoping If anyone has had success or tried the aftermarket ones from China that are on EBAY? Open to any suggestion as well. I have some big trips planned at the end of August through the winter months and need to get trail ready. Thanks

94 FZJ80
232k and was in perfect condition.
I would try to swap a known good one to see if that even fixes the problem. I would also take my chances with a used OE one over a new Chinese unit.

Assuming its the authentic 93/94 VAF I would send the one you have to Greg at Bavarian Restorations in Michigan for restoration before taking a chance with the aftermarket versions. I tried two aftermarket units in my 94 and neither worked right so would love to know if there is a legit version that works.

I would try to swap a known good one to see if that even fixes the problem. I would also take my chances with a used OE one over a new Chinese unit.
Assuming its the authentic 93/94 VAF I would send the one you have to Greg at Bavarian Restorations in Michigan for restoration before taking a chance with the aftermarket versions. I tried two aftermarket units in my 94 and neither worked right so would love to know if there is a legit version that works.
I’ll look into that. Thanks for the tip. My mechanic does specialize in 4x4 and always has 80’s in the shop. He just was at his “I don’t know what else to tell you“. Thinking about going to Toyota service and maybe they have can figure it out.

I fear you be like Lazarus wandering for eternity looking for the 93/94 VAF solution. It's the thorn in our sides.

Good luck and please drop anything you learn here as I'm trying for a backup solution too.

I fear you be like Lazarus wandering for eternity looking for the 93/94 VAF solution. It's the thorn in our sides.

Good luck and please drop anything you learn here as I'm trying for a backup solution too.
I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at your reply.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at your reply.
At this point, you probably already know more about the VAF than your local Toyota dealer. I wouldn't even bother. If it's not OBDII, they can't tell you anything. Try another used one first.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I just purchased a refurbished OEM VAF from EBay for $380. Did some haggling but that as low as he would go. I believe he has a few more at that price as well if anyone is interested. “stopnandshop“ is the seller. And effjay80 I found a “Bavarian Restoration“ in the Bay Area and said they could absolutely refurbish my current one. They quoted my $375 with shipping. Thanks for everyones input and I’ll update once the new one is in.

Maybe late to the party but I have a good working vaf for sale in the classifieds. I tried a Chinese one and it wouldn’t t even let my truck idle they are junk. Have heard good thinks about bavarian rebuilds.

Not sure why I thought Bavarian was Michigan but recall it was Greg I spoke with. Again, good luck!

Update. I ordered a refurbished VAF from eBay for $400 and took it to my local mechanic. Nelsons Garage in Cayuco, Ca very capable and knowledgeable about Landcruisers. He swapped the VAFs and the new one did not work at all. Super bummed, so now the old one is back and being held in place with zip ties. Back to the drawing board 😖

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom