Manifold plug thread pitch needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Just looking for the information of the thread size that fits the side of my 1982 FJ40 manifold. My thread pitch gauge does not have this pitch.
I believe this is a 16mm but not sure if its a 2 or 4 thread pitch.
I am prepping to install a hose barb in place of the plug for the installation of a dash vacuum gauge.
Anyone know the pitch or even have an old manifold hose barb.

Thanks

DL095769.jpg

DL095770.jpg

Vintage Teq might have a simpler vac kit @ToyotaMatt

Earlier manifolds have a plug on the firewall side. The internals of the earlier (mine are Federal '75) PCV/VCV barb have what looks like a flame arrestor which might be a vac drop akin to an orifice - I imagine that you could drill it out, but I don't know what is in there.

In a past discussion about the oil sender unit, or BVSV, I forget, Toyota used British Pipe Threads. Metric pipe threading is limited to the spark plugs.

Dizzy I believe you are right, they did use British Pipe thread standards, I to completely forgot about that.
I will focus on that.
Thanks much

Appreciate that but I am looking for a hose barb whit the same thread size as the plug I removed. I will try Ebay, Thanks

ms-hose-nipple-500x500.jpg
DL095770.jpg

Appreciate that but I am looking for a hose barb whit the same thread size as the plug I removed. I will try Ebay, Thanks

View attachment 2178363 View attachment 2178364

Another option is to install one of these in you manifold , and use as a splitter or in place of a delete plug in some cases
DSCN2137.JPG
DSCN2138.JPG

also , i offer a Very simple threaded Plugs and Fittings FREE Modifications Free Solution , that incorporates only NOS Plug and Play Parts ..............

please See attached Link to My NOS OEM TOYOTA Parts Vacuum Gauge SST Hose and Fittings install Kit ...........

this Kit is custom tailored to install any common vacuum gauge in as little as

5 Metric Minutes ! :D

Also , TOYOTA did not use BSP thread pitches , all toyota threads regardless of type or location are J.I.S. or " Japanese Industrial Standard "

My Radiator Drain Tube kit are made By hand By me using a JIS Tap and Dye set i had to source from Japan , a BSP tap and die produced the incorrect
results needed for a FACTORY OEM type end product ...........

this has been my experience regarding all that

Thanks for the offer but I do not have any available opens for one of them on the manifold that small.
You maybe right about the Japanese Industrial Standard
Thanks

Also , TOYOTA did not use BSP thread pitches , all toyota threads regardless of type or location are J.I.S. or " Japanese Industrial Standard

OMG Matt. you blew my mind. I thought I had all these pipe threads figured out on my rig. Never heard of JIS threads before.
Doing some quick research just now, it seams JIS and BSPT are identical "thread wise". It seems the JIS tapered have 30 deg angled seats on the ends.
Here's where I got my quick look info. Third box down on the page. "THREADS"
Gotta dig into this some more.

If the thread on the manifold plug measures 16mm the equivalent bspt would be 3/8" (15.8mm).
BSPT and JIS (NT) threads are identical and interchangable.The only difference is a 30* chamfer on the male end and a 30* chamfer on the seat of the female thread-neither of which is going to make a difference in the manifold application.No JIS taps or dies needed....just use some teflon tape or thread sealant on the thread and it will be fine.

Found these fittings last night at the local hardware store. The bushing installs into the manifold only about four thread turns. It would work with some sealer but I would really like yo get at least 9-10 thread turns for a better seal. 3/8" MIP x 1/4" FIP
Will check out that Brass Male BSPT x Hose Barb.
Thanks

DL105771.jpg

Lengthy discussion about thread pitch here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom