Maintenance / repairs on high-mileage 200s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured I would start a thread for those with high mileage 200s to share their maintenance/repair experiences.

I had my first repair this week. '13 LC with 255,000 miles. I had a coolant leak "in the valley", and had to get it repaired. No visible leaks or issues. Truck temperature gauge spiked last week when driving at low speed (<30 mph). Temperature returned to normal at highway speed. Checked fluid levels after cooled down. Overflow tank was nearly empty and could not see any coolant in radiator. I added about 2 quarts of water in order to get back home safely.

Took it to the shop this week and they found the leak. Water pump still looked solid; no evidence of issues there. Hoses looked good. They tore it apart and found it.

jmw.lc200.coolant.leak.1.jpg

Repair was about $880.

I know I'll have some others as the mileage continues to climb. But not bad for the first 255,000 :)

jmw.lc200.coolant.leak.1.jpg

Also, the shop is LexuTech in Fort Worth. I've been taking vehicles there for 6 years and have always been pleased with their work. They are solid. Ask for Kevin.

Did they say exactly where the leak was? The valley cover? The pipe that connects it to the pump?

Also, did you do any coolant exchanges on your way to that high mileage?

Not the connecting pipe. It was the seal/gasket around the valley plate.

Did one coolant exchange at around 120,000 miles.

I was planning to do the water pump soon, even though there were no indications of problems yet. Shop convinced me to hold off for now, as they looked it over thoroughly. Water pump and starter are on my radar, but we'll keep rolling for now and see what plays out.

I have 245k on my NorCal 2008. In the last year i have replaced the below items. Please note they never failed me, but after a few symptoms, I had them replaced so that car wouldn’t let me down some day.
-Radiator, showed small cracks and leaks on top of plastic cover
-Rack and pinion, passenger side where had some play. Driver side boots started seeping. Amazing difference in front end control after new rack. They did have to pull up motor.
-Starter, one day at work, the car only restarted after trying 20 times. I left it running all day, then drove it to the shop after work.

210,000 miles on my 2013 LC. Decided to be proactive and get many items replaced and installed. None of the parts showed any signs of failure, but the radiator did have the dreaded crack. The crack has been there since 46,000 miles on It. Lots of driving and moving to a new state these next few weeks so why tempt eventual fate.

Thanks to many others here for the list of parts. Radiator and hoses, thermostat, water pump, belt, fan clutch and pulleys. The local Lexus dealer did the labor for $1,000 before tax. Toyota dealers near me wanted $1,800 for the labor.

Next month will be getting a new starter installed just to be proactive again. Planning to get another 200,000 miles.

Old radiator

BE06D9E9-3884-4209-AD79-340657E4EEAB.jpeg

Of the items I did to address rotating noises, rear wheel bearings were the best answer. That at 217k. Front bearings and hubs a smaller improvement at 210k. Cvs made no difference but I do have a spare now . . .

Any other high mileage owners want to chime in with their maintenance stories? I'm currently considering pulling the trigger on a meticulously maintained LX (at the dealer every 5k) but it has 160k miles. Am I mad? Is this about the time that starters, radiators, steering racks, etc. start to show their age?

Beyond the starter and radiator the rest is baselining ALL the fluids. Like I said above you’ll need rear wheel bearings eventually.

I had to do radiator around 215k miles but it only ran me ~$480. I have a great mechanic. Other than lots of oil changes and brakes thats about it in last 60k miles. I upgraded suspension to icons around 175k, feels awesome still. Batteries every 2 years to the day!

I had to do radiator around 215k miles but it only ran me ~$480. I have a great mechanic. Other than lots of oil changes and brakes thats about it in last 60k miles. I upgraded suspension to icons around 175k, feels awesome still. Batteries every 2 years to the day!

Good to know! I'm considering two 2011s, one with meticulous records and 162k miles, another with spotty but mostly complete records (not every 5k on the dot, bounced around between the dealer, lube shops, and indy shops) with 105k. Which would y'all go for?

Good to know! I'm considering two 2011s, one with meticulous records and 162k miles, another with spotty but mostly complete records (not every 5k on the dot, bounced around between the dealer, lube shops, and indy shops) with 105k. Which would y'all go for?
The white one.

Go with the one with much less miles. 100k is nothing and see if you can have it looked at by a mechanic(roughly $100). Changing the oil every 5k is pretty excessive as to why I prefer using synthetic every 10k.

The one with less rust. 105k if both are same.

I don't know if this is going to help you or not, but we just scored a pretty nice 2011 Lx570 out of Dallas Tx with about 140k and absolutely no rust and I couldn't be happier.
The 100 and 200 series trucks are awesome and you could not tell by driving them if they have 100 or 200k miles on the clock.
Milage is hardly an issue with these trucks... buy one with better service history and no rust.

Reactions: HGB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom