This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be getting back into the GX word shortly after selling my 470.
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2015 460 with 85k miles.
Single owner, and has been in to Lexus every 5k miles for service since new.

My question is if there is anything I should be looking to complete maintenance wise outside of the scheduled stuff.
For example, it doesn't look like diffs/xfer/trans fluids have been changed that I can see(unless those are included in one of the scheduled maintenance and I missed it).

Anything outside of maintenance I should be looking at (preventative items, commons repairs, etc.)?

Thanks everyone!

Make sure the fuel pump recall has been taken care of.

Make sure the fuel pump recall has been taken care of.
Ran the VIN through the NHSTA site, and nothing is pulling as needed, though it is not reflected in the service history.
Was this a true recall, or a service bulletin/recommended repair?

Hmmm, looks like mine is included in the recall. Oh joy.

Hmmm, looks like mine is included in the recall. Oh joy.
Lexus made the process very smooth, I dropped it off in the morning, took the free rental and it was completed by 1pm.

Lexus made the process very smooth, I dropped it off in the morning, took the free rental and it was completed by 1pm.
Good, a rental would be helpful. Better than the TV I just ordered with free delivery, they gave me a 12 hour window to await delivery.

Personally, after purchase I'd do every fluid, diff's, trans, etc. and check brakes, lights, filters, and so on, so you have a datum point of when and where to start your maintenance schedule.
We do this for any used vehicles we've ever had.

Agreed on the fluids. That should also include the transmission fluid. Higher-mileage GX460s are experiencing a fair number of trans failures. Unfortunately Toyota designed the 460 (for most models) without a transmission cooler and a "lifetime" fluid. So over time the fluid really gets degraded. Now would be the time to change the fluid the right way (all fluid exchanged with a pan drop) and install a cooler, keeping your trans happy for a long time in the future.

Agreed on the fluids. That should also include the transmission fluid. Higher-mileage GX460s are experiencing a fair number of trans failures. Unfortunately Toyota designed the 460 (for most models) without a transmission cooler and a "lifetime" fluid. So over time the fluid really gets degraded. Now would be the time to change the fluid the right way (all fluid exchanged with a pan drop) and install a cooler, keeping your trans happy for a long time in the future.
I've been looking at the potential transmission/cooling issues(part of the reason for this thread).
Is there a preferred option for these? I've seen everything from universal to retrofit of OEM Lexus installed.

I like to base line a rig, all the fluids done, check the alignment, do some PM on the cam sleeves on the UCAs so you don't eat a LCA, check the hubs, meaning take the calipers and rotors of off and actually check them.

Do all of the filters. Look at the hoses and the rad, and do a belt.

My opinion is that if you have the money and peace of mind is worth more then saving a few bucks, to do all the fluids.
Sounds like me. Either have plenty of money to do all the mods and all or I'm tight on funds and have all the time on my hands for DIY.
Although, I'm at a point where I just don't really enjoy doing fluids with all the hassle and mess. For me it's cheaper to drop off my rig for the day and take care of other personal things and let someone else do the work.
Younger days, I did do all the maintenance myself including changing spark plugs and points in the distributor!

I've been looking at the potential transmission/cooling issues(part of the reason for this thread).
Is there a preferred option for these? I've seen everything from universal to retrofit of OEM Lexus installed.
I have a 470 (not a 460), but I did find even the OEM 470 cooler to be under-sized on long grades out West. Here I upgraded my 470 cooler to a $50 Hayden 678, which is 3X the size of the OEM cooler and keeps my trans nice and cool when towing.

I have a 470 (not a 460), but I did find even the OEM 470 cooler to be under-sized on long grades out West. Here I upgraded my 470 cooler to a $50 Hayden 678, which is 3X the size of the OEM cooler and keeps my trans nice and cool when towing.
Thanks! I've seen the Hayden installed in at least a couple cases, and that's the direction I'm leaning.

Sounds like me. Either have plenty of money to do all the mods and all or I'm tight on funds and have all the time on my hands for DIY.
Although, I'm at a point where I just don't really enjoy doing fluids with all the hassle and mess. For me it's cheaper to drop off my rig for the day and take care of other personal things and let someone else do the work.
Younger days, I did do all the maintenance myself including changing spark plugs and points in the distributor!

Yeah I f@cking hate gear oil...well most oils as I always make a mess. But their is a good piece of mind knowing it's done right, and I usually spend good money on fluids so I make up the costs by DIY.
Thanks! I've seen the Hayden installed in at least a couple cases, and that's the direction I'm leaning.

I had the Hayden on my GX470 for towing, and installed one on the GX460 for towing. It made a major difference on both, and I am loaded up pretty heavy. The nice thing about the GX460 that I don't remember the GX470 having is the thermostat. Don't have to worry about the trans being too cold because of the bigger cooler.

The one thing that I am not a big fan of is the Hayden is a pretty cheap unit, and if money isn't a big deal I would look into something a little more robust, something like the cruiser brothers offers with a much beefier cooler. Not saying the Hayden will or won't fail, it just doesn't seem worthy of being on the GX if that makes sense? hah

The one thing that I am not a big fan of is the Hayden is a pretty cheap unit, and if money isn't a big deal I would look into something a little more robust, something like the cruiser brothers offers with a much beefier cooler. Not saying the Hayden will or won't fail, it just doesn't seem worthy of being on the GX if that makes sense? hah
Running ~ 2 years on mine so far and it's still all good! It is a cheaper unit but it does work great. The other aftermarket units are many times more expensive than the Hayden - I too thought about getting a beefier one when I did the upgrade, but the Hayden had great reviews/reports for the cost. The trans in these rigs don't usually run that hot, so even a cheaper cooler will work fine. The problem is just how tiny the OEM coolers are (where equipped - they are pathetic), so even a lower-cost aftermarket cooler is usually all they need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom