Magruder Corridor August 31-Sept. 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m planning on going Saturday as well.

I'm in for Saturday. I'll be out in Three Forks to start, so I'll be on the on ramp by Wheat Montana looking for everyone around 7:20am. Comms channel 16???
Cb 16, ham 146.460. Observing the wilderness protocol of monitoring and sending out a call on 146.52 every hour on the hour.

Is someone going that's been there before and/or leading? My understanding is that there's a lot of off-shoot trails.

I'm not going to make it but I wouldn't worry about route finding, just get the Magruder road set in your navigation and back track the lead-in through Elk City. There really aren't any trails to be confused by. We made it through without much more than Gaia and Google maps last year.

Don't forget to download your maps for offline use before you leave!!!

Here's the Gaia track: GaiaGPS - Magruder Corridor 9/1/18 10:00:12 AM
But I only tracked the main part of the Magruder, not the in and out.

The other recommendation I'll throw out there is take Skalkaho Pass (HW 38) on the way home. So 93 north out of Darby up to Grantsdale, 38 east which will spit you out just south of Philipsburg at Porters Corner, take 1 to Anaconda from there.

Ok super!! Who will now be leading the troops now???

Ok super!! Who will now be leading the troops now???

You, Chris, and Darren can rock-paper-scissors for the lead ;)
None of us knew where we were going last year and it was fine.

You might want to PM Ron to get his cell number just to make sure you track him down Saturday.

It's not hard. There is only one through road.

For an after trail chow, keep in mind Naps in Hamilton has the best burgers you're going to find in Montana. I highly recommend the Ford burger.

If I don't meet up with you guys on the road Monday feel free to hit me up for anything in the Bitterroot, beer, help wrenching, route finding.

Skalkaho is in good condition this year, easy route over to Philipsburg or Anaconda. Or fishing on Rock Creek.

Be on the lookout
20190727_101223.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not going to make it but I wouldn't worry about route finding, just get the Magruder road set in your navigation and back track the lead-in through Elk City. There really aren't any trails to be confused by. We made it through without much more than Gaia and Google maps last year.

Don't forget to download your maps for offline use before you leave!!!

Here's the Gaia track: GaiaGPS - Magruder Corridor 9/1/18 10:00:12 AM
But I only tracked the main part of the Magruder, not the in and out.

The other recommendation I'll throw out there is take Skalkaho Pass (HW 38) on the way home. So 93 north out of Darby up to Grantsdale, 38 east which will spit you out just south of Philipsburg at Porters Corner, take 1 to Anaconda from there.
Thanks for the track. I use GAIA to map all of my trips so this will be a great help. Was the road washboard (ie should air down a little to smooth things out)?

Well, this isn't going as planned. Mechanic showed up this week so I've been thrashing trying to get equipment ready to go so haven't had time to finish the camper. Got finished up last night and got home around 10 so into the shop I go. Decided to fiberglass the repaired areas and dug out an old fiberglass repair kit I noticed I had, cut the glass to fit and mixed up the resin and away I went. Was kinda cool at midnight and the resin was slow setting up so I got everything glassed and thought everything was good. At 1 it still was gooey. Got up at 5:30 and went to check, still gooey darn it. Just got in from removing and cleaning up sticky fiberglass and am sitting here thinking of plan b or c to get this thing watertight so we can leave today. Moral of this long rambling story is if you have old fiberglass resin and definetley activator throw it out! Who new it has a shelf life. We're gonna get going but not sure when, might run it E to W so we'll run into you guys somewhere. Look for the white dodge pu with a popup camper with a steaming roof from being cured on the trail. will have handheld cb and ham.

Well, this isn't going as planned. Mechanic showed up this week so I've been thrashing trying to get equipment ready to go so haven't had time to finish the camper. Got finished up last night and got home around 10 so into the shop I go. Decided to fiberglass the repaired areas and dug out an old fiberglass repair kit I noticed I had, cut the glass to fit and mixed up the resin and away I went. Was kinda cool at midnight and the resin was slow setting up so I got everything glassed and thought everything was good. At 1 it still was gooey. Got up at 5:30 and went to check, still gooey darn it. Just got in from removing and cleaning up sticky fiberglass and am sitting here thinking of plan b or c to get this thing watertight so we can leave today. Moral of this long rambling story is if you have old fiberglass resin and definetley activator throw it out! Who new it has a shelf life. We're gonna get going but not sure when, might run it E to W so we'll run into you guys somewhere. Look for the white dodge pu with a popup camper with a steaming roof from being cured on the trail. will have handheld cb and ham.
Sorry to hear about the setback. I hope we run into you out there. I'll be on CB 16 and HAM 146.460/monitoring 146.52 with a call out at the top of every hour on both.

Ya Ron that does suck!! Working with fiberglass can be a royal pain in the fiber-ass!! I had a friend when I was younger that bought a 63' Vette that had been side swiped, pieces were missing and it was cracked all over, even where it was not hit!! It took him years of working on it in his spare time with tons or redoing to get it done right or what appeared to be right! Hopefully we will see you up there, good luck!! Tom

Sorry to hear about the setback. I hope we run into you out there. I'll be on CB 16 and HAM 146.460/monitoring 146.52 with a call out at the top of every hour on both.

Hey Chris, just confirming that we are still meeting at the Belgrade Albertson's at 7am tires up and rolling?

Damn, I have NO luck at all as I just did rock-paper-scissors five times in a row and Chris you won ALL five times!! So you are the legal winning leader of this expedition, congrats!!!

Oooooh ya, I would ask on our leaders behalf and for my own sanity, that if anyone else out there even if you said that you were going before this posting and you are 100% going and meeting us at Albertson's for the 7am, to please confirm so on this blog. This way Chris and I are not sitting waiting thinking people could still show up which then takes away time we could have been driving. I have seen on every-other trip that I have been on. I understand things change even last minute, so here is my cell number 406-579-5269 in case sometime unforeseen happens to even if you confirm that you are going after this. This way the people ready at Albertson's will be able to get a good early start as planned.

Saul, I did not want to leave you out as you already stated; I'm in for Saturday. I'll be out in Three Forks to start, so I'll be on the on ramp by Wheat Montana looking for everyone around 7:20am. If you could please just reconfirm that so we will know to either stop or just keep going as that would be very helpful too!!

You all now have my cell number, so if anything should happen after you confirm you are going please call me and I will let the others know!

Thank you all for your understanding on this as it is VERY much appreciated I can assure by all that are going, Thx again, Tom :steer:

I'll take lead now that I have @MontanaLax ' s GAIA maps. I'll get it loaded on my tablet tonight. If anyone knows some spots along the trail to camp for the night, please post up. We'll make the best and the most of the trip, even without prior knowledge of the trail. As long as I can get everyone there and back in one piece, safely, it'll be a WIN in my book. Yes, I will be at the Albertson's by 6:45am and plan to roll at 7.

More..
491F8FAA-D48B-4245-A42B-FB26E9D62828.jpeg
DBEC03B1-5E11-4F00-9344-C9E2A6D10091.jpeg
6B0D0C23-D0CB-4FFF-BFDC-66702FD1962B.jpeg
3249FC3B-AFDC-4B46-82FD-052C3C8AEBF9.jpeg
AB8C14DC-6223-422F-8CEF-43A8728C693D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom