Magruder Corridor August 31-Sept. 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shocking to say but Labor Day weekend is here so it's time for the Magruder!!!

This is a fun run and you can't get much further away from everything than on this trail... That being said the road itself isn't difficult but it is a long way out with zero cell service if there were to be any mechanical issues. There are a few fire lookout towers that have fun approach trails to them but this is not going to be a rock crawling trip.

So the details... This trail connects Darby, MT to Elk City, ID and runs the boarder for the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness and the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. It is 101 miles of unimproved gravel road with no services of any kind. No gas, no water, no outhouse, and no cell service.

HERE is a link to the forest service page.
HERE is the link to last years' trip.

The drive from Bozeman to Darby is approximately 4 hours and the drive from Elk City is 7 to 8 hours. Last year we drove east to west and it was a LONG haul home after leaving the trail. The recommendation is to put in the highway miles on the front end, so this time we will run the Magruder West to East. With that decision made there opens up a bit of discussion of when do people want to hit the road. I'm guessing there will be folks who want to get going Friday at various times. With that in mind I think there should be a set meeting point in Kooskia, ID Saturday at 1pm, as that is the last real town before moving on to Elk City. And top off your tanks at Kooskia!!! There are a few small towns after that but you start seeing small town gas prices. So folks that want to go Friday can stop in Missoula, Lolo, whatever you want to do...and there will be a convoy out of Bozeman Saturday morning. Saturday convoy will meet at the Belgrade Albertson's and be wheels up at 7. That could be adjusted depending on who's planning on Saturday. That should put everyone in Elk City mid afternoon.
Last year we had 4 rigs and went up to every fire lookout tower and stopped plenty for photos and I believe we were on the trail from Saturday at 10 until Sunday at 4-6. So obviously that will be shifted due to the reversed direction of travel but you can get a gage of the timing. We also had the place mostly to ourselves which may not be the case this year as cooler temps and smokefree skies may tempt more folks out.

So with all that blabbering done..... WHO'S IN????

Friday departure:
@elkun1

Saturday departure:
@RoverChris +1
@TommyGuns
@Saul Abel
@thetoyotaman

Last edited:
Elk City Look Out could be a nice meet up spot for those that get in a the night before and want a place to set up. There is plenty of room for numerous rigs, 8 miles out of Elk City, right off a fire road and, as the name implies, overlooks Elk City and the wilderness area.
45.89425, -115.52779
Stop in the ranger station in Elk City and find out fire restrictions. When we ran it there weren't any. Bring a chainsaw as there is plenty of dead wood to get rid of. Help Mother Nature out so she doesn't have to do it her self.
Also, Observation Point 'camp ground' has a real nice vault toilet. It's so nice some of use used it twice. It's hidden in the bush so keep a sharp eye.
Fuel in Elk is around $3.25 a gallon.

Elk City Look Out could be a nice meet up spot for those that get in a the night before and want a place to set up. There is plenty of room for numerous rigs, 8 miles out of Elk City, right off a fire road and, as the name implies, overlooks Elk City and the wilderness area.
45.89425, -115.52779
Stop in the ranger station in Elk City and find out fire restrictions. When we ran it there weren't any. Bring a chainsaw as there is plenty of dead wood to get rid of. Help Mother Nature out so she doesn't have to do it her self.
Also, Observation Point 'camp ground' has a real nice vault toilet. It's so nice some of use used it twice. It's hidden in the bush so keep a sharp eye.
Fuel in Elk is around $3.25 a gallon.

Thanks for the great info!!
Last year I don't think Elk City even had gas, haha.

Another spot I was thinking of for camping was the Green Mountain lookout tower: 45.771024, -115.075643. It's where the Magruder (468) hits 285 just west of the Poet Creek Campground. There's a huge clearing around the tower but I'm not sure if it qualifies under the dispersed camping rules. But that would be for the first night on the trail and not very far into the road.
DSC_8628-1.jpg

Think we'll be leaving fri. Not sure which way we'll go. Will probably take the pu camper if i get it finished

We may cross paths on Sunday. If anyone wants to meet up in the Bitterroot afterwards, hit me up, I'll be back from Bozeman on Saturday evening.

Are any 40's going?

So, is the idea for the club to meet up Saturday afternoon, hit the corridor for a few hours then finish it up on Sunday? Trying to have a better understanding of the timeline. Thanks!

Sorry, the expectation is to be back in Bozeman Monday. Exact time will depend in number of trucks and pace/traffic. It took the better part of two days to traverse the trail last year. We had hit the actual trail earlier but then had the longer drive home afterwards.

So this trip is likely; highway Saturday morning, trail Saturday afternoon, camp Saturday night, Sunday Trail all day, camp Sunday night, remaining trail Monday, shorter drive home Monday afternoon.

I am in for the Saturday departure, camp two nights and returning on Monday! Thx Lax!! :steer:

Burger in Hamilton?

Sunday or Monday?

Bringing that 40?

I was entertaining the idea of running up from the MT side of Magruder to meet up with the group on Sunday and heading back out with everyone. I went last year but had to turn back at the Devils Half Acre tower due to fuel and time constraints.

Can someone give me an estimate on the gas pump to gas pump mileage? My 40 sprung a bad leak in the radiator last week. I don't think it's going to be repaired before the weekend. Also, I don't trust my fuel gauge, so I'm not certain of my actual range. I told my wife about this last night and she wants to go, but it'll be some other weekend for us. I just need to get an idea of how many jerry cans I need to bring.

Can someone give me an estimate on the gas pump to gas pump mileage? My 40 sprung a bad leak in the radiator last week. I don't think it's going to be repaired before the weekend. Also, I don't trust my fuel gauge, so I'm not certain of my actual range. I told my wife about this last night and she wants to go, but it'll be some other weekend for us. I just need to get an idea of how many jerry cans I need to bring.

The closest fuel in MT is going to be in Darby, I’m not sure of the mileage from Darby to the fuel station in Idaho. I would plan on 3 cans at least.

When were you thinking of going?

126 miles.

Thanks!

I was thinking of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th weekend in September. It really depends on my wife's schedule and if we can find someone to look after our dogs.

I'm in for Saturday. I'll be out in Three Forks to start, so I'll be on the on ramp by Wheat Montana looking for everyone around 7:20am. Comms channel 16???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom