M101/M105 trailer behind 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wagonteeth

Hippoverde
Threads
I"m exploring the idea of an offroad trailer. Locally I found three different M416 trailers for sale, from $500 to 700. I see a number of the M105 or (I think it's) M101A2 trailers (not the M101 that is the size/look of the M416) for around $250. does anyone use this larger trailer? It looks like it'd be really heavy, but I like the size. I was wondering about stripping it down some to loose some weight, but in the end may just seek out an M416.

My intent would be to move most/all of the camping gear to the trailer, and maybe a RTT down the road.

Any pro's to the larger trailer?

Big difference between a M101 and a M105. A M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer off road while the M105 is a 1 1/2 ton. I have a M101 as a yard hauler and it fine behind my FJ62. A M105 is a monster and really need a 3/4 ton or larger truck to haul it.

Don't get the M105, It's made to pull behind a 2 1/2 ton truck. I have two of these and don't like to pull them with my 5500 Dodge. Just too tall and heavy. Now the M101 series, are great trailers. Have several, the one to look for, in my mind, would be the M101A3. It has alot better features. Surge brakes, a full 4 feet between the wheel wells and a crank up front landing leg [ tongue jack ] 8 lug wheels, that any 3/4 ton chevy wheel fits.

Many guys use this trailer. Some strip the axle off and get lighter stuff with electric brakes and wheels to match their truck. I like the military setup.

Scrapdaddy- thanks, that's the info I needed. I saw a big trailer at a locals gun shop. He has a Deuce and the trailer. It looked huge, but it seems like the 101 is a smaller version of the same.

That's what I'll look for.

I would suggest M101a1 or M101a2 or the smaller 1/4 ton M416. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

The M101's are 8 foot beds with a fold down tailgate.
M101a1 will not have a surge brake and will likely have BUDD wheels.
M101a2 will have a surge brake and will have GM 8 lug wheels
Both Mm101's weigh somewhere around 1350lbs dry.
I currently have a M101a2. I have removed the surge brake assembly and all the brake hardware. You can shed about 200-300lbs just doing that. Most of the time the M101's can be had much cheaper than the more rare m416, m101cdn or M100 WWII trailers.

M416 is a vietnam era 1/4 ton trailer that weighs around 600lbs and does not have a tailgate. These are most common for expo trailers. These were built without a tailgate so that they would float with up to 500 lbs payload with the floor drain plugs installed. Cool trailers and getting harder to find. try to find one of these that has already been molested as the original intact versions bring big $$$ and are highly sought after by the military resto guys.

M105 is a monster and as the others have mentioned is way to heavy for anything other than a deuce and a half. I think they weigh somewhere around 2500lbs empty. The sit really tall and you will probably want to stay away from something this large for an offroad trailer.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Go with a M101A2 they can be found cheap.
new models A2 A3 have 8 bolt hubs that match GM pattern.
IMG_0674.jpg
image_php6.jpg
PICT0005_3.jpg

This one (m101a2) belongs to ACC Toyota. He swapped in a new axle assembly so he could put standard wheels and common trailer tires on it. It originally came with split rims, which you definitely want to avoid.
64347_386622704682881_143547732_n.jpg

Having a 101a2, I'll add my 2 cents:

If not rusted or bent up, these thing go for cheap in Ga.

Not having tried it, but without alot of skill and effort the 101a2 seems too big and heavy for an 80 series to be used well on more than a level one or mild level 2 trail. Still it would depend on the details of the trail. I find it useful as a utility trailer behind a 1/2 ton PU or 80 series. Pulling a 3000 lb load of rocks has been no problem to pull around town @ 35-50 mph. The 40 even pulls it okay to pick up a few pieces of lumber at those speeds.

The M416 is small but pulls almost unnoticed behind the LX and pulls well behind a 40 or my wife's Highlander. No problems for the 416 or LX for 80 miles @ 70mph down I-40. It is also nice to be able to move it around by hand. For an off road a M416 would be first choice.

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I am looking at a M101 A1 on Monday. I called a tire shop and they told me it likely has a split ring rather than a split rim (widowmaker). I plan to haul this behind my 4Runner for dump runs, pickup big stuff at Home Depot, and maybe some camping in the future. What are BUDD wheels? What things should be considered deal breakers? TIA

Little late to your post but how did it go? Did you pick it up? Many of us have simply swapped out the original axle and wheel and put something that is much lighter and matches our rigs. You can do that for pretty cheap actually.

Pros - these things mostly last forever
Cons - heavy and depending on which one you get may not be easy to get tires for.

Little late to your post but how did it go? Did you pick it up? Many of us have simply swapped out the original axle and wheel and put something that is much lighter and matches our rigs. You can do that for pretty cheap actually.

Pros - these things mostly last forever
Cons - heavy and depending on which one you get may not be easy to get tires for.
I decided to pass on it. I think the person wanted too much money for it and is still attached to it. Thanks for the input. I am researching utility trailers as I think a utility trailer will suit my needs better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom