LX570 dealer service - Lexus or Toyota Dealer? (1 Viewer)

LX570 Easy Service - Lexus or Toyota Dealer?

• Lexus Dealer Only

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Toyota Dealer Sometimes!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Man up and change your own fluids

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I'm new here (and to Lexus/LC200 platform) and did a quick search and didn't see anything too specific on this topic but maybe my searching skills aren't that great - feel free to flame me if it's been covered ad nauseam. Figured I'd throw a poll in this thread too to gauge the crowd...

I recently went to the Lexus dealer last week for a routine oil change (they called it the 5K service). I started laughing when they said it would be $140 but went along with it anyways as they said they do an inspection along with it. This is my first experience at a Lexus dealer and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the overall experience. They took the time to take a video of their inspection, detailed the car remarkably well, and even made me a chicken quesadilla while I was waiting. Not to mention I got to hang out with everyone in the lobby where the average age was about 75 years old.

I get that you're paying for the extras like that, but does anyone take their LX to the Toyota dealer for routine maintenance? I'm talking oil changes/brakes etc. I have a feeling it's much more cost effective (I don't care about free food), but has anyone ever run into any issues? I imagine they won't put up much of a fuss as these are mostly identical to the LC200.

And yeah, I know, change your own oil, it's easy. I live in AZ and it's getting a bit warm here. 😛 The car is also still under a quite good bumper-to-bumper warranty so I'd like to keep the recommend 5K interval at least until it runs out in ~1 year. Then I'll probably increase the interval as 5K seems a bit excessive.

Thanks!

I'm probably of no help to you. But I won't let anyone touch my 200 unless its a service I can't perform.

My vote is for Lexus service. Where I'm at in des moines the service time at toyota is a joke. 30 days scheduled out for routine oil changes.

Lexus...roll in that day and get it done.

When I do need work done on our LX450 or Sequoia...I have taken them all to Lexus and never been disappointed.

I'm probably of no help to you. But I won't let anyone touch my 200 unless its a service I can't perform.

My vote is for Lexus service. Where I'm at in des moines the service time at toyota is a joke. 30 days scheduled out for routine oil changes.

When I do need work done on our LX450 or Sequoia...I have taken them all to Lexus and never been disappointed.
Interesting thought. I didn't even think of the backlog the Toyota dealer might have. I called Lexus and they scheduled me within a day no problem.

I forgot to mention that they "recommended" I get my front rotors turned....for ONLY $450. That made me chuckle as well. For that price I would have expected new rotors but hey, free quesadilla!

Either way though, the service was great. Can't knock them for that.

Toyota should also be able to change your oil with no appointment needed via their Express Care service. I use this all over the country - never once has it taken more than an hour and a half for an oil change and a tire rotation. That being said, The Lexus dealer experience is so much better that I would never go anywhere else if I had an LX.

"Not to mention I got to hang out with everyone in the lobby where the average age was about 75 years old."

This made me laugh. I bring my LX to dealer for extended warranty service. I am in my 50s and every time I am there, I am the youngest person by 20+ years LOL They are all dropping off their RXs. I swear 90% of Lexus sales must be the RX and the average owner age is 70.

I like the Lexus dealer, they make videos of everything, getting stuff fixed under my car max warranty is super easy and I always get a new loaner (RX naturally)

Interesting thought. I didn't even think of the backlog the Toyota dealer might have. I called Lexus and they scheduled me within a day no problem.

I forgot to mention that they "recommended" I get my front rotors turned....for ONLY $450. That made me chuckle as well. For that price I would have expected new rotors but hey, free quesadilla!

Either way though, the service was great. Can't knock them for that.

New OEM rotors can be purchased for $62 online.. and they'll be better than any turned rotor.

There were three times as many LX570s sold in the US as Landcruisers, this means that a Lexus service department will be far more familiar with the nuances of this vehicle. MANY people have dealer-only maintenance landcruisers with broken AC recirculate flaps caused by those dealers.

Speaking of.. any time you bring your truck in, lock the glove box and keep the key blade with you. This is the only way to make totally sure your recirc flap doesn't get broken.

New OEM rotors can be purchased for $62 online.. and they'll be better than any turned rotor.

There were three times as many LX570s sold in the US as Landcruisers, this means that a Lexus service department will be far more familiar with the nuances of this vehicle. MANY people have dealer-only maintenance landcruisers with broken AC recirculate flaps caused by those dealers.

Speaking of.. any time you bring your truck in, lock the glove box and keep the key blade with you. This is the only way to make totally sure your recirc flap doesn't get broken.
"There were three times as many LX570s sold in the US as Landcruisers,"

I keep reading this figure on this site but it is not true. Most years the LX outsold the LC but it was not 3x

Since you have AHC, stick with Lexus dealer. No one else besides folks here that know AHC and how to deal with it. But then again some Lexus dealers have no clue too!

I'm with ColoradoFJ40.

I do my own fluids and most other services. For stuff I'm too busy farming to do, I'll take the truck to a great indy shop in Boise. I gave up on Toyota when service spent almost an hour trying to get the TPMS system to talk to the truck, and they charged me $120 for nothing. The indy shop had it fixed in about 30 minutes for $40, and a call to the Toyota service manager got me a check for $120 with apologies.

Last edited:
Find a good independent Cruiser shop. Dealers simply aren’t worth the risk unless under full warranty for a major job/recall.

Hello! I'm new here (and to Lexus/LC200 platform) and did a quick search and didn't see anything too specific on this topic but maybe my searching skills aren't that great - feel free to flame me if it's been covered ad nauseam. Figured I'd throw a poll in this thread too to gauge the crowd...

I recently went to the Lexus dealer last week for a routine oil change (they called it the 5K service). I started laughing when they said it would be $140 but went along with it anyways as they said they do an inspection along with it. This is my first experience at a Lexus dealer and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the overall experience. They took the time to take a video of their inspection, detailed the car remarkably well, and even made me a chicken quesadilla while I was waiting. Not to mention I got to hang out with everyone in the lobby where the average age was about 75 years old.

I get that you're paying for the extras like that, but does anyone take their LX to the Toyota dealer for routine maintenance? I'm talking oil changes/brakes etc. I have a feeling it's much more cost effective (I don't care about free food), but has anyone ever run into any issues? I imagine they won't put up much of a fuss as these are mostly identical to the LC200.

And yeah, I know, change your own oil, it's easy. I live in AZ and it's getting a bit warm here. 😛 The car is also still under a quite good bumper-to-bumper warranty so I'd like to keep the recommend 5K interval at least until it runs out in ~1 year. Then I'll probably increase the interval as 5K seems a bit excessive.

Thanks!
Unless you’re one of the rare fortunate ones who lives near a Toyota dealer that knows about Land Cruisers and cares enough to do good work, I suggest avoiding them at all costs. There are many, many, many posts on here documenting damage, service gone bad, and obscene costs at Toyota dealers. There are for sure some good service departments, but when you make a decision about future service, do your due diligence and fully check out any dealer before your hand over the keys and your wallet.

I'm one of those fortunate ones that lives next to a Toyota dealer that knowns LCs. I take my LX there for all maintenance items and even had them do my brakes and steering rack. Before I found this dealer, I went through a few Lexus and Toyota dealers that were clearly inept on the LC platform. A particular Lexus dealer even argued with me that the LX570 has air suspension and that the transfer case is not serviceable.

So to answer your question, it depends. Just have to find a dealer or indy that knows what they are doing. Ask how many LC/LX they see and gauge their knowledge from talking with them.

I'm one of those fortunate ones that lives next to a Toyota dealer that knowns LCs. I take my LX there for all maintenance items and even had them do my brakes and steering rack. Before I found this dealer, I went through a few Lexus and Toyota dealers that were clearly inept on the LC platform. A particular Lexus dealer even argued with me that the LX570 has air suspension and that the transfer case is not serviceable.

So to answer your question, it depends. Just have to find a dealer or indy that knows what they are doing. Ask how many LC/LX they see and gauge their knowledge from talking with them.
So you got a Toyota dealer that is willing to maintain AHC as per Owner’s manual? Wow…that’s a keeper!

lexus, 100% better customer service. good luck getting a loaner vehicle from toyota.

Other than California, Utah, and Texas where do these independent cruiser shops reside?
Maybe ask your regional clubhouse? I should have said independent Toyota mechanic, usually the good ones end up with the off-road folks by word of mouth.

140 for oil change is not that bad for Lexus dealer. I paid independent shop in Lake of Ozarks, MO 120 for oil change and tire rotation for my LC. I had hit my mileage and was not at home and had limited options. I say if you can do it yourself do it yourself no one will take as much care of what you own as you will. However Lexus dealer is probably your next best bet. Lexus as brand name wants no blow back and they strive to provide top end experience. Toyota dealers are hit and miss. I will not use Toyota of Round Rock but Cedar Park does great work so far. Tempe Toyota I used in AZ for16 plus years I would also give very high marks. Some great points were made above about AHC being Lexus only thing for most part. My last thought on all of this is if you can afford to purchase it, insure it, put gas in it, you can overpay for service just don't be silly and don't use anyone you don't trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom