LX570 18 Inch Wheel Added (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for the great post!

I am considering swaping my LC 18 wheels to my 10 LX and this gave me an idea of how they will look, thank you
Geologic

A client of mind was interested in the new LX570 but did not like the ride. The 570 runs a 50 series tire on a 20 inch wheel and you feel every little thing, it's almost like the wheel vibrates and you feel it. The new 570 is anything but smooth on pavement and the fact this guys been driving a 2000 LX470 with a 70 series tire on a 16 inch wheel the ride change was shocking to him considering the price of the 570.

I suggested we could change the wheel to 18 inch and run a 60 series and it would improve the ride, well now I had to find a rim and the Land Cruiser rim is what I had in mind.
So I left this task to the parts manager and here's what he finds in the Lexus parts screen, a 18 inch wheel, he thinks it's a mistake and makes the call a finds they have ton's of these wheel sitting at the parts depot. I believe this is the Land Cruiser rim with a Lexus emblem center cap.
The tires 285x60 /18 Michelins mounted and the LX570 rides like a dream and one very happy customer.

Lou
View attachment 323911View attachment 323912View attachment 323918

Lou,

Did you have any issue with the ABS braking system when changing to an 18 inch wheel? I just purchased a 2014 LX570 and I was interested in sizing down the wheels to improve the ride as well as open up some tire options as there are hardly any aggressive tread patterns in a 285/50r/20 which is OE. As I understand it, the ABS will likely need to be recalibrated when sizing down wheels. Any insight?

imagesCACWCF6Q.jpg
I"m no expert on brakes, so I'm sure someone else can chime in here and give the details, but the ABS system just counts rotations of the axle(using a simple little gear), it does not care what size tires or wheels you have on your truck. Now that being said your speedometer will be off if your overall diameter is changed as a result of the new wheel/tire combo! The only thing you have to worry about when choosing wheels when it comes to brakes is to make sure they clear the rotor and caliper!

Nice work! But those are not US LandCruiser rims. Ours are indented on each spoke. Look at some pictures and you can see the difference.

It's surprising that Lexus put 20's on that thing. It really defeats the purpose in both directions -- on road sucks and you'd dent them to **** off road.

Even 18's with a 70 series tire (like mine) is on the edge. I'd rather have a 17, but actually like the look of the factory rims.
People are weird LX560 have adjustable suspension , deflate tires to 30PSI and set suspension to soft and you riding like in the crib no need for this nonsense, but o well as long they pay I will do the same.

View attachment 942358 I"m no expert on brakes, so I'm sure someone else can chime in here and give the details, but the ABS system just counts rotations of the axle(using a simple little gear), it does not care what size tires or wheels you have on your truck. Now that being said your speedometer will be off if your overall diameter is changed as a result of the new wheel/tire combo! The only thing you have to worry about when choosing wheels when it comes to brakes is to make sure they clear the rotor and caliper!

you have to check if the tire have enough clearance on the low point on the bump observer.

Lou,

Did you have any issue with the ABS braking system when changing to an 18 inch wheel? I just purchased a 2014 LX570 and I was interested in sizing down the wheels to improve the ride as well as open up some tire options as there are hardly any aggressive tread patterns in a 285/50r/20 which is OE. As I understand it, the ABS will likely need to be recalibrated when sizing down wheels. Any insight?

They've been on the truck for 5 years and I have not heard a thing from service or my client regarding any issues

People are weird LX560 have adjustable suspension , deflate tires to 30PSI and set suspension to soft and you riding like in the crib no need for this nonsense, but o well as long they pay I will do the same.

It's great in theory but not in reality... we tried that and the 570 in the comfort mode would make one sea sick .... I'm personally not a fan of the adjustable suspension

A client of mind was interested in the new LX570 but did not like the ride. The 570 runs a 50 series tire on a 20 inch wheel and you feel every little thing, it's almost like the wheel vibrates and you feel it. The new 570 is anything but smooth on pavement and the fact this guys been driving a 2000 LX470 with a 70 series tire on a 16 inch wheel the ride change was shocking to him considering the price of the 570.

I suggested we could change the wheel to 18 inch and run a 60 series and it would improve the ride, well now I had to find a rim and the Land Cruiser rim is what I had in mind.
So I left this task to the parts manager and here's what he finds in the Lexus parts screen, a 18 inch wheel, he thinks it's a mistake and makes the call a finds they have ton's of these wheel sitting at the parts depot. I believe this is the Land Cruiser rim with a Lexus emblem center cap.
The tires 285x60 /18 Michelins mounted and the LX570 rides like a dream and one very happy customer.

Lou
View attachment 323911View attachment 323912View attachment 323918
Can these 18 wheels be ordered now a days? Do I need to get anything caliberated if I go with 18 inch wheels? I see 2009 Land Cruisers having the option of 18 and 20's. I suppose 18 wheel config must be a supported size on LX possible unless I am missing something. I know it's more than 10 year old thread. Hope someone responds ;)

Last edited:
Can these 18 wheels be ordered now a days? Do I need to get anything caliberated if I go with 18 inch wheels? I see 2009 Land Cruisers having the option of 18 and 20's. I suppose 18 wheel config must be a supported size on LX possible unless I am missing something. I know it's more than 10 year old thread. Hope someone responds ;)
I’m running 18” Tundra wheels in the winter on my ‘13 LX 570 with no issues at all. I have a set of “cloned” TPMS sensors and just swap them out then hit the TPMS reset since my summer tires at LT and run a higher pressure.

image.jpg

Do you run 18s both in winter and in summer?
Not currently. But I will be next time I need tires. I have another set of the same Tundra rims and when I’m due for tires I’m switching to them for summer and I’ll sell the 20” OEMs I currently run in the summer. The ride on 18” is much better.

Is there a Lexus OEM part number for this wheel? What did they cost? Did they come with TPMS? I am very interested in this option.
I am over the ride on the 20" wheels. I had 16' on my 2001 LX470 and she rode like a dream, The 2011 LX570 with 20 rides terribly, I imagine like one of those Range Rovers with 22's
an OEM part # would be awesome... anybody?

I am over the ride on the 20" wheels. I had 16' on my 2001 LX470 and she rode like a dream, The 2011 LX570 with 20 rides terribly, I imagine like one of those Range Rovers with 22's
an OEM part # would be awesome... anybody?
MUDD classified?

I dumped the 20s on my 2013 LX within a week of getting the truck. I bought a set of '13 LC 18" rims off a MUD member and 10 moths later having no issues. Had 'em painted Bronze, they look great. I run 275/65 Geolander (came with the rims, almost new) and the ride is excellent. I even left the Toyota center caps, no one has even noticed.

I dumped the 20s on my 2013 LX within a week of getting the truck. I bought a set of '13 LC 18" rims off a MUD member and 10 moths later having no issues. Had 'em painted Bronze, they look great. I run 275/65 Geolander (came with the rims, almost new) and the ride is excellent. I even left the Toyota center caps, no one has even noticed.
I am with you. Just switched to 2016 Lc wheels with 275/65/18 Michelin ltx a/t. Ride is definitely better. Should have done it long ago.

20200807_164855.jpg

20200807_164922.jpg

Hated the 20's on our LX570, it rode horribly plus 20" tires are rare like hen's teeth in our neck of the woods.

She now wears 18" 275/65/18 and our car now floats like an 80's Buick station wagon.

They are great. I will tell you they are a little louder than the ltx m/s but the tread is an all terrain not a highway tread. They look killer on the truck combined with the 18 inch wheels looks like a proper mild 200 series now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom