LX470 spare tire key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, just found out my truck didn't come with the jack tool bag, not the spare tire key. Now, I'm trying to replace the 17yo spare tire and having no luck. Are all the keys the same? Or am I really screwed? I just ordered the lug wrench and jack arms from toyota. So, now $90 lighter, I'm starting to believe what I bought is going to leave me in the exact same predicament I'm in now.

Need some help and/or direction

Whoops, I think I had too many last night. My question is, are the locks for an LX 470 Universal? Or, are they different for each vehicle? That is, the locks for the spare tire.

Have absolutely no idea, but I can post a pic of my spare tire key from a 2000 LX. Hope that helps

full

Have absolutely no idea, but I can post a pic of my spare tire key from a 2000 LX. Hope that helps

full
Hmm, that looks similar. This is the pic I took. Almost looks like something's missing.

IMG_20160729_183239738.jpg

Just to be clear, do you not have the anti-theft key for the lug-nut on your wheel or are you talking about the anti-theft key for the spare tire let down winch?

IF the let down winch...that part (anti-theft key) is just pressed into the normally configured let down winch that uses the hook on the jack tool to engage it. It has an external washer that holds it in place. I pulled my winch from the vehicle to remove the keyed section, but it might be possible to dislodge it where it sits.

Let me know if you need pics.

Hmm, that looks similar. This is the pic I took. Almost looks like something's missing.

Don't think so. The part I imaged is the key that fit's into the part you showed. I was hoping you could get a clear enough look at yours to determine if my key would work (which would imply a sort of universal approach).

I found one site that seems to imply they are all the same - other sites imply the part number changes - no way for me to verify truth.

Site that claims one to fit all years

Forget about the key. Knock the insert out of it and use your regular jack tool 'hook' to operate.

Forget about the key. Knock the insert out of it and use your regular jack tool 'hook' to operate.[/QU

How hard is it to knock the insert out? Can it be done without dropping the spare?

I checked out the link above. It looks like it would work, but if I can knock out the lock part, I'd rather do that. Would suck to lose the key again later down the road.

My spare is permanently removed from under the truck. Shoot me a private message if you're interested in the "key" from my tool kit.

Reactions: FJC
How hard is it to knock the insert out? Can it be done without dropping the spare?

I checked out the link above. It looks like it would work, but if I can knock out the lock part, I'd rather do that. Would suck to lose the key again later down the road.

It would be difficult to knock it out if accessing it from the portal above the bumper. I dropped my tire down by removing the four bolts holding the winch to the spare tire cross member then removed the anti-theft on the bench. But I can tell you...there isn't much holding the ATK in place.

I simply didn't want to have to deal with finding a key...AND the key looks to be something that could easily become clogged with dirt/road grime or freeze over in the winter (in wet environments). I guess IF you live in a high crime area...it might prevent a theft. I'll take my chances and opt for simplicity (just use the hook on the jack tool which fits deeply into the cone).

I swung by the Lexus dealer and they pulled out their service set of spare tire keys and we tried them all until we found the right one. They're numbered for identification, and they ordered it. $20 or so.

My spare is permanently removed from under the truck. Shoot me a private message if you're interested in the "key" from my tool kit.

Thanks to ihadmail, I'm back in business.

Went to the local Lexus dealer today and it took them 20 minutes to tell me by looking at a bad picture I had, that my carrier was broken. I asked if they could walk out and look at it and it was just too much trouble for them. Had very similar results from that dealers Toyota lot last week. I definitely will not recommend the Lexus dealer in Columbia, sc. Guess I don't drive an expensive enough Lexus.

Ran by ihadmail house, and 20 min later, I had a new (to me) spare, his old spare carrier and his old key. What an awesome guy!!!! And he climbed under the truck and pulled my old carrier and installed the new one. (In 97deg heat)

Can't wait to see your Dissent.

I ordered part # PT276-60060, spare tire lock/key. It comes with the lock and key which of course work with each other. Unfortunately, the key doesn't fit the lock installed on the vehicle. Bummer...i gambled that the key I ordered would fit the lock but it doesn't.

So now I'd like to swap the installed lock for the new one. Not obvious at all how to do that. Any ideas how to get it out? i have the winch removed so access is not an issue.

I ordered part # PT276-60060, spare tire lock/key. It comes with the lock and key which of course work with each other. Unfortunately, the key doesn't fit the lock installed on the vehicle. Bummer...i gambled that the key I ordered would fit the lock but it doesn't.

So now I'd like to swap the installed lock for the new one. Not obvious at all how to do that. Any ideas how to get it out? i have the winch removed so access is not an issue.

I would suggest you to remove the lock from the carrier. You can return the part and get your money back. You'll be using your jack hook to rotate the carrier.

To remove the lock, you can pry out the cone shaped plastic first (it'll be right around the lock). Once the plastic is removed, you'll have a bit more access to the lock. With some persuasion you might be able to pull out the lock without breaking the outer cone shaped metal. Just take your time.

The lock looks like this once removed. Only thing that's keeping the lock in the carrier assembly are the washer with many teeth. When I was removing my lock, I thought the cross pin looked like something removable. I ended up destroying the outer metal.
20160422_132908.jpg

It's OK if you end up removing the outer metal cone. The cone can be helpful to guide the jack hook to the right position, but you can still operate the carrier without a lot of problems. My carrier looks like this now.

20160422_132850.jpg

Friendly reminder that if you have a lx470 to make sure you have the spare tire key. Better to figure it out now than when you need it. Thankfully I was just messing around in the driveway seeing what kind of rim my spare was. Looks like I will be removing the lock on the carrier.

That is all

I would suggest you to remove the lock from the carrier. You can return the part and get your money back. You'll be using your jack hook to rotate the carrier.

To remove the lock, you can pry out the cone shaped plastic first (it'll be right around the lock). Once the plastic is removed, you'll have a bit more access to the lock. With some persuasion you might be able to pull out the lock without breaking the outer cone shaped metal. Just take your time.

The lock looks like this once removed. Only thing that's keeping the lock in the carrier assembly are the washer with many teeth. When I was removing my lock, I thought the cross pin looked like something removable. I ended up destroying the outer metal.
View attachment 1354509

It's OK if you end up removing the outer metal cone. The cone can be helpful to guide the jack hook to the right position, but you can still operate the carrier without a lot of problems. My carrier looks like this now.

View attachment 1354510

Yep, the roll pin would make you think THAT is what is holding the key in place, but its actually the toothed washer pressed down into the bore.

Rocking the key back and forth will eventually dislodge it.

Putting a new rear bumper on soon so just took it off but the first pic is where the 4 12mm bolts are that attaches the carrier to the crossmember. If you are in no rush just go to the dealer and get the key which is probably what I should have done but sometimes getting a task done gets personal. Going to mark this one down as a win. Time for a beer :beer:

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

50674291968__92FF76EE-D15C-41A2-BC4D-64936158CB31.JPG

Guys just a question were is the key for spare and jack handle located? is it with the jack itself or in another location not sure if mine is there ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom