LX470 Maintenance Schedule (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just got a new to me 2004 LX. I always buy used, and as many do, baseline all maintenance soon after acquisition.. Well, in trying to get my head around this one and perhaps being a bit overly detail oriented, I created a maintenance schedule on Google Sheets which I will share. I've added a couple things to it besides the factory recommended based on information found here on Mud.

Please take a look, feel free to grab a copy from the link to use, and I'd love any advice on items I should add to it. Here's the link (which, if you use the link, you can add comments too which could prove interesting)-

LX 470 Maintenance Schedule

I should add that its a work in progress...

Attachments

• LX 470 Maintenance Schedule - Sheet1.pdf
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,716
Last edited:
This is nice! Well done... I took a different approach, and I'll say yours looks nicer.

Maint AHC.jpg

Maint Log.jpg

Maint Schedule.jpg

I use aCar on my Andriod phone. I keep my gas fillups and all my maintenance for all the vehicles. Also have service reminders based on months/miles.

Great product if you want something a bit more portable with reminders. Also allows imports/exports of the data.

There is a similar product for Apple, can't recall the name at the moment.

I’ve used an app on my iPad called simply “Auto Care” for a few years, but decided that the spreadsheet approach would work better for me. Some may find it useful though.

Here’s a screenshot. It just became cumbersome to make the entries. I’ll update the spreadsheet to go at least through 200kmin the next week or so too.

47F5BD61-0C2F-4423-AAEE-DF82DA1DA5E6.png

I’ve been massaging it more, with the checklist part going through 150k Service. I also included Heater T’s, fuel induction service, and replace Power Steering Fluid at 100k. None of these items are on the maintenance list included with the owners manual, but we’re either done on my truck, or highly recommended service here on Mud (Heater T). I added some part numbers and quantities as appropriate. Still a work in progress, like everything in my life...

LX 470 Maintenance Schedule

Please take a copy, and leave a comment if you’d like. If there’s anything else I should add, LMK. I’ll keep adding to the checklist. I imagine at least through 300k.

I’m wondering should I put things like accumulators at 150k or something like that should just be a repair as needed.

@2001LC, I’ve watched a lot of restorations you’ve shared with us all here. Are there any items that you consider regular maintenance that’s not on the regular schedule, or that I’ve missed? Thanks

This is nice! Well done... I took a different approach, and I'll say yours looks nicer.

View attachment 1623367

View attachment 1623368

View attachment 1623369

Why do u replace spark plugs at 30k when they are rated for 120k?

Why replace driveline fluids too soon too?
60k miles sounds more reasonable but ur vehicle usage might deem it necessary to change sooner, but 15k is way too soon i think

Also, ur prices for driveline fluids are very low, what oils do u use and where u get them from?

Thank you!

I am a firm believer in KISS (keep it simple stupid) and that allows me to not need reminders or spread sheets for any of my cars.
And it goes like this...baseline any new to me car.
Oil and filter every 5,000 miles, that means every time there is a "5" or a "0" third place from the left on the odometer the oil and filter get changed, hundreds do not matter, only a 5 or 0. Example, change the oil and filter at 180,xxx miles, next one at 185,xxx.
Spark plugs every 100k. I bought my truck with 156,change on it, I changed the spark plugs then, they will get changed again at 200k, then 300, etc.
Fuel filter, power steering fluid, driveline fluids all get changed every 50k. They were all changed shortly after I bought the truck, but they will all get changed again at 200k, then 250k, 300k...you get the idea.
Engine coolant drain and fill every 2yrs, I bought my truck summer of 2016, so next coolant drain and fill is summer of 2018, same with brake fluid, every 2 years.
Serpentine belts last forever, no need to change those unless it is squeaking, in which case you change the belt and tensioner at the same time, serp belts only squeak when the tensioner gets weak and they glaze over from slippage. Once glazed they're done, they will continue to slip and squeak.
Timing belt and timing belt driven accessories get changed every 100k, mine was done by the previous owner at 80k, I currently have 180,change, it will be changed at 200k, then 300k, etc.
grease u-joints at every oil change, inspect undercarriage for leaks every 10,000 miles, inspect ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearing play every 10,000 miles, so next inspection for those items will be at 190k oil change, I know this because I do that inspection at the "0" oil change.
If you label your oil changes "A" and "B" you will know what needs to be done when.
"A" schedule is oil and filter, grease u-joints, inspect ball joints tie rods wheel bearings, that is the "0" miles oil change (180,xxx)
"B" schedule is oil and filter, u-joints, inspect undercarriage for leaks, that is the "5" miles oil change (185,xxx)
Open the hood and check fluid levels every Saturday before the first start of the day, this takes all of 1min. No need to wipe the oil dipstick, just pull it out and check the oil level. Check coolant level in the over flow bottle, check power steering and brake fluid levels, top off washer solvent. Inspect battery terminals for corrosion.
Literally takes all of a min to do this, once you get into this habit you will notice if something is a miss and you will prevent breakdowns and other problems.

This translates to ANY car or truck that is in your fleet, your's, your wifes, your teenage daughter...

"My coolant level has been fine for the last 2yrs, why is it low during this weeks underhood check?" Instead of "oh s*** my trucks overheating and I'm late for work"
Or "I better do something about that battery corrosion this afternoon" instead of "my wifes in labor and my truck won't start"

You want to know the last time I needed a tow truck? 10yrs ago. The fuel pump went out on my wifes Volvo while I was across town at the dentist. The time before that? My 1995 Oldsmobile that I bought brand new was under warranty and the alternator went bad.

Pay attention to your damn car, it tells you when it needs attention, ignore it and it will leave you stranded.

Discipline equals freedom.

I would add to Spike's comments, when you know you're going on vacation, if you don't do your own labor, have it done at LEAST a week beforehand. That way if there is a problem, there's time to get the parts and fit it in the schedule. As someone who works at a dealership, I am amazed when people get their oil changed the day they plan on leaving on a big trip and when told "we need to order this part for your car", they reply "you don't understand, we're leaving on vacation.....". It's not that I don't understand.... and I'll leave it at that. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Breakdowns and emergencies will happen at the most inconvenient time. Another tidbit, know where your jack is, if it's all there, how it works, and if your spare has air in it.

I should add that with every new to me car the first thing I do when I get it home is remove the spare, inspect, check PSI, make sure the jack works and tire tools are there and they fit.
Then I check them all again every 6mo. This means removing the spare tire from under the truck every 6mo.
Checking a hydraulic jack means putting a load on it.
I also lube all hinges, locks and latches every 6mo. If it moves it needs lubed.
Every 6mo means January and July, easy to remember. Again...KISS.

I am a firm believer in KISS (keep it simple stupid) and that allows me to not need reminders or spread sheets for any of my cars.

Pay attention to your damn car, it tells you when it needs attention, ignore it and it will leave you stranded.

Yup, I agree with both. Yet for some reason my brain likes a List.... maybe because I have too many irons in the fire and tend to be a bit absent minded o_O...

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Breakdowns and emergencies will happen at the most inconvenient time

I can’t remember the last time one of my cars stranded me. Not the 82 CJ with 200k. Not the 2004 Disco (although it tried really hard when it overheated, but I was already home, lol). I am all about preventing failure.

Yup, I agree with both. Yet for some reason my brain likes a List.... maybe because I have too many irons in the fire and tend to be a bit absent minded o_O...

I can’t remember the last time one of my cars stranded me. Not the 82 CJ with 200k. Not the 2004 Disco (although it tried really hard when it overheated, but I was already home, lol). I am all about preventing failure.

Whatever works for you man go for it, I have ADHD so I need things simple, and I needs habits. The way I do things are simple and habit forming for me.
But you do you. It's all good under the hood.

Hey @sorich, why the 0W30 Oil?
The number before the winter rating (W) indicates it’s cold weather viscosity. The lower the number the less viscous the oil will be at lower temperatures, which is preferable. The temp range of a 0W30 oil is -31* - 95*F which would be optimal for @sorich since he lives in CO. A 5W30 would also suffice since it's temp range is -22* - 95*F. An oil that is less viscous at a lower temperature will make for an easier startup, which in turn puts less stress on your engine and starting components. You should determine your appropriate oil weight based on the climate you live in, or just refer to the owners manual.

Last edited:
I use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 diesel oil.

My maintenance schedule

Oil - 10K miles

Trans - 75K miles

Coolant flush - 100K miles

Lube shafts - 50K miles

Spark Plugs - 100K miles

Timing Belt - 150K miles

Brakes - 50K miles

Tires - 50K miles

Gas - every 4 days :(

I think your intervals are much too frequent, if you have money and enjoy doing it then by all means, otherwise, a lot of those things can go much longer.

^^^i bought this truck from my brother in law, he bought it new, I can honestly tell you this man have never greased the zerks on this truck for 16 years, 190K miles. He does his own oil changes and brakes, that’s all he knows how to do, that’s all the truck ever needed. He gets his tires done at Costco every few years and I highhhhhhly doubt those kids would grease it.

He hasn’t even heard of greasing the zerks until I brought it up. Truck drives like new without any sound or vibration. I’m sure a majority of the owners do not grease their driveshaft every oil change.

I did grease everything when I took over, but didn’t feel any different in the drive Line. I did google up how often should you grease your truck and everyone agree with you on greasing it with every oil change. I do have access to a shop and can do it easily, just never crossed my mind that it was really important to do it so often. I greased it before winter and will grease it again in the spring now I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom