LX470 HID Retrofit Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

where did you get the ballasts mounting kit?

I made it :)

Mine occasionally still does that even with the Morimoto relay harness. I can always get it to work eventually, so I'm putting it off until it's not so cold out anymore.

Wow, seriously? Have you asked TRS about what could be causing that since you have the relay harness? My only rule for working on the car or other things outside, is that it can't be cold. I think I'm allergic to it lol.

I made it :)

Wow, seriously? Have you asked TRS about what could be causing that since you have the relay harness? My only rule for working on the car or other things outside, is that it can't be cold. I think I'm allergic to it lol.
You going to make more or have a parts list?

Not yet—I suppose I've gotten used to it (and...still cold, hah). Have plans to work on a bunch of electrical in the spring, and I'll definitely be doing something about it then.

You going to make more or have a parts list?
I am probably not going to make more. The aluminum plate would be easy seeing as I already have the program setup, but the brass bushings I'd have to make on the manual lathe and the amount of time it would take just wouldn't make a lot of sense. Also, the bushings are pain to press in just FYI. Labor of love I guess.

Not yet—I suppose I've gotten used to it (and...still cold, hah). Have plans to work on a bunch of electrical in the spring, and I'll definitely be doing something about it then.
Ill probably fart around with it a little this weekend seeing as the weather isn't too bad here in texas

Also, are my original headlights worth anything? Housings are great, no broken tabs, and shrouds should be good too. Also have the brand new oem projectors, should I just toss it all?

Those brass bushings are just for mounting the ballasts? It's a nice feature but I didn't have any issue sticking mine elsewhere.

That projector bracket, on the other hand, would be great to have for my next retrofit. The mini-H1 is an awesome option and 100x better than stock, but D2S would be even better.

You should sell them or, if not, please consider making public whatever you can.

Those brass bushings are just for mounting the ballasts? It's a nice feature but I didn't have any issue sticking mine elsewhere.

That projector bracket, on the other hand, would be great to have for my next retrofit. The mini-H1 is an awesome option and 100x better than stock, but D2S would be even better.

You should sell them or, if not, please consider making public whatever you can.

Agreed

This is the holy grail of 100 series headlight mods in my opinion. You get a D2S setup with no major modification of the shroud. If these do go into production I would definitely scoop them up.

the relays in the morimoto harnesses aren't that great. If you have issues like one side lighting up and the other doesn't, or one continually lags behind on ignition, or there is any sort of delay, skip ahead to swapping positions on the relay set first and then go
fuse >bulbs> ballasts> igniter cords.
I was so irritated I passed over the relays as the cause. One of mine failed intermittently in less than 15 months.

the relays in the morimoto harnesses aren't that great. If you have issues like one side lighting up and the other doesn't, or one continually lags behind on ignition, or there is any sort of delay, skip ahead to swapping positions on the relay set first and then go
fuse >bulbs> ballasts> igniter cords.
I was so irritated I passed over the relays as the cause. One of mine failed intermittently in less than 15 months.

Thanks for this mine has the issue of one lighting up before the other or sometimes not igniting. What do you mean by swapping relay positions I would like to try this and see if it resolves the issue.

if you have the dual relay, swap them over. OR if you don't want to mess with that, crossover your ballast input. (the two prong thing) if you have removable inputs on your ballasts.

we're talking here about separating the top of the relay from the bottom. You need a screw driver. Is that understandable? Should be an easy check. It's like swapping ballasts oor swapping bulbs r igniter cords. Same principle.

if you have the dual relay, swap them over. OR if you don't want to mess with that, crossover your ballast input. (the two prong thing) if you have removable inputs on your ballasts.

we're talking here about separating the top of the relay from the bottom. You need a screw driver. Is that understandable? Should be an easy check. It's like swapping ballasts oor swapping bulbs r igniter cords. Same principle.

Its been a while since I've installed the system hopefully it all comes back to me when i look at the wiring. Ill report back thank you so much, its been very annoying sometimes not noticing one light isnt on.

edit: I have this HD Relay: 9006

yes, the problem then might follow you to the other side. then you know.

Then i just get a new relay?

Sorry i just want to be clear with my understanding.

@jerryb Thanks. I would (hah, I have) skipped over those already, to the point of burning out 2 ballasts so far. This gives me a better place to start looking.

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket HID headlight for the LX470 with a design that includes a partial LED ring around the edge, similar to what you see on new luxury SUVs/sedans?

The depo brand lights on eBay have them, I believe. They'd be a full bucket swap. Otherwise, you can wire up a Halo light around the projector I'd assume. Lou might have some better idea about what you may need to do that. Small projector possibly?

There are some videos by TRS showing how to do it.

Okay, these ballasts or igniters are really getting on my last nerve. I'm going to start digging into it and see if it is a power problem or if its these darn Morimotos. Its a crap shoot which headlights will turn on or if any at all. I have to keep turning the lights off then back on to see what I get each time until they are both on. I have no aftermarket relays they are plugged directly into the factory wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom