LX450 Ignition Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GOSARGE1

GOSARGE Coolers
Threads
Website
www.gosarge.com
I have a 1996 LX450 that decided to stop starting up. I replaced the starter because I was having issues with it. But, that wasn't the fix. I noticed sometimes, that I have to hold the ignition key in the START position for a while before it would start. But now, it just doesn't turn over. I've checked all of the fuses and the neutral safety switch...but I'm just not too sure.

I'd GREATLY appreciate anyone's feedback on how to diagnose and solve this electrical issue.

Thanks!

Thanks Guys! And no, I no longer hear any clicks and the starter is new. I will say that I no longer see a "draw of power" as I turn the ignition switch on the battery meter. There were times when the battery meter needle would lower as I turned the ignition switch.

Also, there isn't any power being applied to the starter as I turn the ignition switch. The only constant power to the starter comes from the battery cable.

Check your fusible links.

Check your fusible links.
Thanks... I used a 1996 Toyota Landcruiser Starting & Ignition Wiring diagram to locate the fusible links, which were fine. For some reason, I'm leaning toward diagnosing the Ignition and Park/Neutral Position Safety Switches. To AZNGARAGE recommendation; I may have to replace the ignition switch wiring harness. Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks!
1996 LX450 Starting Ignition Diagram.jpg

You probably have a RS3000 POS 22 year old alarm system, pull it out and I am pretty sure your problem is solved

Thanks! Is it just a matter of locating the Main Control Unit and disconnecting it?
Yes and no.

The main unit is under the driver's seat.

Then follow the harness and unplug each connection and plug the main harness back to itself. There are something like 7 connections. You would be best to remove the driver's seat, the lower kick panel, and the panel and steel backer under the steering column.

If I was determined, I could do this under an hour. I took my time to trace everything before unplugging, then carefully pulling stuff apart and placing back together, so it took me more like 2-1/2 hours.

When you turn the key to ON do you have the CEL light on?

Do you hear a click when trying to start?
Good Day! The answer to your question is No. I no longer hear a "click." And when I used to, I could also see the needle to battery gauge show to me what look like a draw of energy (needle would drop). But now, there's no clicking or energy draw. Here's something that may be of interest. Sometimes I would have to hold the ignition key in the START position for 10-15 seconds and it would start. It was as if I was energizing a glow plug or capacitor long enough to send the electrical current to engage the starter. Thanks again!

Yes and no.

The main unit is under the driver's seat.

Then follow the harness and unplug each connection and plug the main harness back to itself. There are something like 7 connections. You would be best to remove the driver's seat, the lower kick panel, and the panel and steel backer under the steering column.

If I was determined, I could do this under an hour. I took my time to trace everything before unplugging, then carefully pulling stuff apart and placing back together, so it took me more like 2-1/2 hours.
Gotcha! Yes, I once lifted a side of the carpet near/under the drivers seat in order to program a new remote control. Removing the seat and steel backer panel is doable. I'm sure the kicker panel should be just as simple. Thanks for your feedback.

I think your starter is received signal but the your ignition switch is wore out to to the point that it doesn't send enough current to energize the start solenoid. That y when u hold the ignition long enough it would start. Before on my, it's happen when it get cold on the winter.

I think your starter is received signal but the your ignition switch is wore out to to the point that it doesn't send enough current to energize the start solenoid. That y when u hold the ignition long enough it would start. Before on my, it's happen when it get cold on the winter.
Good Day! Yes, I'm under the very same impression and suspect the ignition switch to be the issue. In fact, I have noticed that cold weather has been a factor. How easy was if for you to replace the ignition switch my friend?

I've placed the order for the ignition switch, which should arrive this evening. I'll prep the area for the replacement procedure. After that, I'll make tamales until my new part arrives.

Thank you to EVERYONE on this communication thread for your Knowledge, Skill and Abilities. Greatly appreciate Y'ALL.

Last edited:
No that bad. it's me about an hr. Just remove the lower cover by the steering column and the dash cover that go from the speedo to the radio. Also you need to lower the steering column to access to the 2 tiny phillip screws for the key switch that sit on top of the ignition cylinder housing.

No that bad. it's me about an hr. Just remove the lower cover by the steering column and the dash cover that go from the speedo to the radio. Also you need to lower the steering column to access to the 2 tiny phillip screws for the key switch that sit on top of the ignition cylinder housing.
Awesome! I'll be sure to follow your advice. I'll let be sure to provide information on my progress. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom