LV Key Info and Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KT40

SILVER Star
Threads
My 65 LV had no keys upon purchase. The ignition had been by-passed from 2 owners prior to me with a push button start. Hokie for sure. That one I can correct. The drivers door and tailgate keys are also non existent. Two different keys. I have taken them to a locksmith to see what he can come up with. One issue is the old man who is the owner has had a stroke and his health is failing. Poor guy. His business is being run by his grandson. Experience level is different. I still have trust in him though. Can you guys with the correct keys post pictures or Key blank info so I can pass it on to the shop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have nothing to offer but I am in the same boat. Curious how this works out. Sure would be nice to be able to lock the wagon.

I read a thread where people mentioned the driver door could use darn near any key, I have tried and mine won't work with the key that came with it . Long story short I'm following this too.

You can still buy a new ignition switch and it will come with keys. If you can read the 4 digit key code on the face of the tailgate lock you can have a key made for it. Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters can sell you cut keys as long as you have the code.

The driver door is another problem because if it's like mine it only has a 3 digit key code which doesn't mean anything in the Toyota world. Kurt and I have spoke several times about trying to get a key made for my driver door but haven't come up with an answer yet.

Well, glad I am not the only one with this problem. We will get this issue solved sounds like. Somebody's got to have drivers door key to look at.

On my 1966 LV, my locksmith was able to use the four digit code on the locks for the tailgate and fuel door (matching #s). They had to do an impression for the driver side door as the code was only three digits, as the others have stated. That code wasn't in any of the books or on the websites we found. Just another LV nuance, I guess.

As a point of reference, the impression added $30 to the bill bringing the total for two sets of keys to just under $70.

Best wishes!

It looks like the 45lv door lock is specific to the LVs.

Just called the Locksmith. Good news is the owner is back and will start to work on it himself. Once I can find out what the key blank and raceway of that door key is, I will share the info.
Anybody have pics of their door key they can share?

This is the driver door to my '66 LV. Do not know if it works on the tail gate. Would appreciate if some one could post a pic of a known working tail gate key. In my travels I have not been able to locate a blank to match this door key.
Eric.

P1060682.JPG

P1060683.JPG

Cool! Weird looking key. Smooth on one side and raceway on the other. This is good info. Thanks Eric!

Thanks for the pictures Casey! Great to see the original keys. Interesting as well. It looks as if Rix 45's key has perhaps worn off the raceway grooves on the one side.

Well, finally after harping on the grandson a few times, he got it done. Turns out gramps is back in the hospital. I told the kid if he can't get it done, give them back to me so I can go somewhere else. So he went to work on them. Not the best, but better than nothing. Here are some pictures.
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG
IMG_1917.JPG

For the tailgate, he had to grind the key a bit to help clear the swing away door. Also, it was a 4 pin cylinder and 3 pins were missing so he replaced them.
IMG_1918.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom