Lumbar adjuster (Drivers seat) has stopped functioning (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I read somewhere a while ago that the actual lumbar switch goes bad. All the current to the lumbar motor passes via the switch causing it to stop working.

I've been having issues with the switch itself; intermittent.... I'd look at that first and verify. I'd have a difficult time thinking the pump motor went bad; just doesn't seem like it would get that much use....

-H-

In on this thread, mine has been broken since I've had it. Curious as to your outcome...

I've been having issues with the switch itself; intermittent.... I'd look at that first and verify. I'd have a difficult time thinking the pump motor went bad; just doesn't seem like it would get that much use....

-H-

the internals are pretty simple, i had it apart when I put on my leather, just a motor and a paddle that pushes outward, so my bet it the switch

mine's been inop since i bought the truck. i tried initially to rehab the switch, mine looked fine, and there was no cleaning to be done, but i cleaned it out anyhow, no luck. later, i talked with the stealership and they quoted me ~$50 to diagnose. they said i needed a new motor; i was cautious to verify whether they had diagnosed or just guessed (or worse), but in the end i just bought the lumbar motor for ~$400. have not yet installed... will report back when i do :cheers:

Mine works when not sitting in the seat, but will not respond when putting pressure on the backrest. At first I thought it did not work. Now I see that it sort of works. Probably not your problem but thought I'd offer this anecdotal nugget. Press on...

Sent from my mudPhone using IH8apple

As an FYI the switch does seem to be the weak point. Mine has gone but i am still able to operate the lumbar support via the OBD2 reader that I have.

Will look to replace the switch.

The tester i have is a little but more advanced that your usual OBD1/2 it is called an intelligent tester Intelligent Tester II

It can do many things rather than just pulling fault codes.

So far i have stopped my stearing wheel from retracting and tilting when the key is removed but retained use of the joystick to still adjust it, changed the time the internal light stay on for once i have opened the car, adjusted the windscreen wiper speed for the rain sensing mode. I have not yet played with the ECU as that scares me but it allows you to turn on and off and operate any part of the car from the tester.

Hence how i was able to adjust my chair lumbar support from it and pinpoint the switch as the fault because the bladder and pump was still working.

It is not cheap but seen as i have 2 toyotas in the family it is very helpful and it has helped a couple of friends when it comes to buying a car as you are able to have a good look at any fault codes that the car has thrown in its history.

The tester i have is a little but more advanced that your usual OBD1/2 it is called an intelligent tester Intelligent Tester II

Sorry to sidetrack/hijack.

Warrenpfo - did you consider other options like Toyota's official Techstream Lite + Mongoose MFC cable which is the official tool gauranteed to give you all available functionality? Or the Techstream Lite + Tactrix Cable?

Fwiw, I have the Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable + Techstream and it does a whole lot but does not appear to be able to read/control every single ECU (in particular I think I've tried unsuccessfully to read the wiper, window, tilt steering wheel ecus). The Tactrix supports all the right protocols etc but from my perspective it's either a defect in Tactrix's drivers or a problem in the way Techstream uses the protocols - in other words with future Tactrix driver updates it's possible more functionality would be available).

Anyhow - good to know there's another option in the Intelligent Tester 2 except it looks a bit shady and unofficial (reminiscent of the Mangoose Cable not to be confused with Mongoose MFC cable) but if it works it works :)

Also, do you have AHC on your vehicle?

my lumbar is hit or miss.

when i depress my lumbar switch, it blows the $6.00 20 amp fuse disabling the windows, seats, etc. Probably frayed wires or something so I just leave it alone. Been that way for 10 years.

Blackwater said:
In on this thread, mine has been broken since I've had it. Curious as to your outcome...

Subscribed. Mine doesn't work either!

9toys said:
when i depress my lumbar switch, it blows the $6.00 20 amp fuse disabling the windows, seats, etc. Probably frayed wires or something so I just leave it alone. Been that way for 10 years.

My 80 does that same thing

Is there any way I can fix my switch instead of buying a new one? And, can anyone direct me to instructions / photos breaking down the switch assembly? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom