Lucy Landcruiser - BJ42 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going back to June 2011, the diesel mechanic gave me the following report on the state of my 3B...

Found out that compression is down, 400, 300, 340, 360

High leakage past the rings....

Started looking for a 13bt

My options were:

1. rebuild,
  2. 13bt, or
  3. 14bt
I found a couple of importers in Malaysia that had plenty of 14bts, I got quotes for $3500 - $3800 direct to my door.

Then, I found a 14bt in a BJ70 in Vic, $5000 for the whole vehicle including a H55f and anything else I wanted to keep before parting out the rest. This looked like the best option to me, but the guy was a little indecisive, and it was getting harder and harder to get him to let go.

I contacted BEE-JAY42 who's running a 14bt in his cruiser, but he advised... (if it isn't to late already) don't by a 14bt, they are very rare and this has caused my a few head aches. You would be far better of getting a 14b or 15b and turboing it.

So the other day, I found a local Hilux with a 14b, the next day the guy dropped it off at my front door - all, just for a couple of grand.

Also found a H55f for $200, so should be picking that up on the weekend.

Photos to come

Last edited:
Getting things ready

DSC02512.jpg

The old 3b

DSC02514.jpg

The new 14b

DSC02501.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

Initial plans are to simply swap out the engines, and look at bolting the turbo onto the 14b at a later date.

Nice find Dan. Wish I was still there to help out. Next time we're back down for a visit I'd love to go out for a play in the hills and see how it does.

Josh

Was the snorkel on the Hilux just for show Dan?

Do you know what sort of condition the 14B is in? (I hope it hasn't been breathing gritty-air through that crappy engine-bay filter for very long.)

:beer:

Nice, this will be interesting to watch. I thought 14B's were only found in Delta's? PO swap obviously.

Was the snorkel on the Hilux just for show Dan?

Do you know what sort of condition the 14B is in? (I hope it hasn't been breathing gritty-air through that ****py engine-bay filter for very long.)

:beer:

Tom,

The hilux snorkel was hooked up to the standard air box, unfortunately that air filter was in my 42 - perhaps a PO performance mod?

my old air box.

DSC02519.jpg

cult45 said:
Nice, this will be interesting to watch. I thought 14B's were only found in Delta's? PO swap obviously.

Mate, that's true, the 14b was in the Deltas, and some Coasters (I believe). The Hilux was upgraded to the 14b before the last owner.

Can someone explain why the power steering line runs across the front and then returns?
image-1195972968.jpg

For cooling

^^ x 2. Same on my BJ42.

Quarter of the way - almost!

Have to pull out the second motor now. Had issues getting the 3b out. I should have removed the ARB bar so that I could have pulled it straight out.

Raises the question of how I'm going to get the 14b up and out - considering the 3" body lift...

It's too late now to cut out the front
image-3064531137.jpg

Can see that I have missed the opportunity to swap in the H55f - but hopefully will still be able to get my hands on it on Monday.
image-4196208213.jpg

14b is free from engine mounts and bell housing, ready to come out the front tomorrow morning.
image-2593133592.jpg

HJ47 said:
Nice find Dan. Wish I was still there to help out. Next time we're back down for a visit I'd love to go out for a play in the hills and see how it does.

Josh

Josh,

Would have been nice to have a second set of hands - was the AFL grand final today (which means nothing to me) so 'mates' were scarce. On top of that the young one is teething, I feel her pain especially when you can see blood on the gum line.

By the way, your most welcome to take the cruiser out to play when you visit - mi casa tu casa.

STUCK! The fly wheel is a different circumference. How do I get past this?
image-1317913942.jpg
image-1686555184.jpg

Used the grinder to smooth off a few of the high points in the bell housing. In hindsight, probably didn't need to as I found that the metal gasket (shoot me down for not knowing the correct name) was incorrect.

Now trying a test fit
image-69765623.jpg

Are you swapping in the 14B attached to the H41 only to replace it with a H55 later?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom