Lubricant for steering wheel squeak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJdreams

SILVER Star
Threads
I am pulling my steering gear to get it rebuilt.

The FSM says to pull the steering wheel. I was very reluctant to do so, then realized this is an opportunity to take care of the squeaking when the wheel gets turned more than 90 degrees.:steer:

Any suggestions on what lubricant to use? And where exactly to use it? (In case it’s not obvious when I have it apart?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Usually, it's what's called the clock spring. It will squeak at you for a long time, coming and going, before they get full-time annoying. That's when people fork over the ~$200 or so it costs to replace. I've been putting up with mine for the better part of a decade. The noise typically pops up when the temp drops, then things adjust and it fades away again.

Do be sure to read and follow the safety instruction re the air bag. You don't want to lose your head over this....:skull:

Mine squeaks only when it's cold outside. It's due to the "gasket" (like a big rubber grommet) that the steering shaft goes thru on the firewall.

There are mixed results wirh the clock spring as a fix. The cheaper place to start is a can of lube and laying in the footwell looking back up at the steering shaft and wheel. White nylon joint. Liberal lube once a year at winters onset works for me.

Second post in this thread.

Squeaky steering wheel wasn't clock spring

Mine had the classic squeak when cold/turning left. I got a mirror down by the firewall and sprayed silicone spray back towards the steering wheel. That stopped the squeak. That was probably 3 years ago and the sound has never returned.

...got a mirror down by the firewall and sprayed silicone spray back towards the steering wheel. That stopped the squeak...

Cha-bingo!
- Did that on my 2 newer 80's that "caught a bug" moving up to my place in WA.
Full honesty, I only owned those 2 for 2yrs max after them acting out (both bought w/ 225K or more on them), but was my cure here in WA.

Seems some items are a 'thing' when we hit 210-215K here in the colder climates.

Mine squeaked when the steering shaft seal through the firewall fell apart, and the shaft was rubbing on metal. You might want to check that if the other suggestions don't work. Part number 45292-35050

I have the infamous squeak on my 93 and no Clockspring. I only hear it when it gets cold out. My firewall gasket is good as it's only a few years old. Recently inspected during the motor swap. I found that when the steering wheel cover is removed there's no squeak. So, a fairly quick and cheap check is to remove the column cover. Squeak goes away you know it's the cover like mine. If it doesn't I'd check to make sure the seal at the firewall is intact and if it is, give it a squirt of white lithium liquid wrench. If the squeak persists then I may suspect the clockspring, if it has the driver side airbag.

20171116_194742.jpg
20171116_193944.png

Been sitting here with a squeaking wheel for 2 years till this finally became high enough on the list to want to tackle. Should have done it years ago, thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom