Lots of recent upgrades but thinking about selling... thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.cox.net
So... I retired last year, sold my house and have been travelling abroad, the Cruiser and my Tesla are in storage. I'll end up moving to Hawaii later this year and WAS intending to ship both of them over but am contemplating selling both vehicles and just cashing out a full size truck and trailer instead. I know how much I can get for the Tesla but am not sure on the 80... I purchased the FZJ80 from a Toyota dealership back in 2001 when the 1st owner traded it in for a new Sequoia, so a rust free AZ Cruiser. I intend to try and sell it in CA to get top $ or maybe ship it to Hawaii and sell it there. Its in really good shape and used it mostly for dispersed camping and hauling my Pop-up until I sold that a few years back. All hardcore AZ rock crawling I did in my '89 4Rnr. I'd appreciate any feedback on what you think I can get for it in those markets which may help in my decision to keep it or not. I'm currently in Portugal so some of the info is from memory and close but not exact.

I've never done a ROTW back in the day but here's what I've got...
1996 FZJ80 - Desert Dune/Moonglow, approx. 211K miles
Factory E-Lockers
2.5" OME Lift w/Goodyear MTR's 285's (33" ~35% wear), 1"(?) front Spring spacers to help with rake
(newly installed '22) DBA rotors, EBC pads. SS brake lines (not so new)
Manafre control arm drop brackets to keep stock caster alignment
Classic OG Con-ferr Roof Rack gutter mounted on (3) Thule Bars (5' x 7' ?) and Japan supplied ladder (via MOT!)
Slee Short-bus front bumper and side-step armor (no winch)
4x4Labs rear bumper with swing out tire carrier
Katskin Leather upholstery on front and rear seats just done in late '22. 3rd row seats are still original leather and in like new condition
Bitch'n stereo LOL, 100amp for front speakers and (?)200amp for Pioneer subwoofer :cool:
Only thing that doesn't work that I can think of is the Sunroof.

Thanks in advance.

WET

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5727.jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

image000002.jpg

image000001.jpg

Last edited:
Things have changed a lot in the last year or two!
Just look in the 80s for sale, lots for sale not many sold.
I lot on Bringatrailer are not reaching the reserve.
Really hard to say at this point.

I'd guess you would struggle to recoup the cost of shipping if you ship and sell in Hawaii. I might be wrong?
Sea freight shipping costs have gone up a lot since covid.

I reckon you'd be better selling it local rather than have all the effort and expense shipping it

I think it’d go for more than $25k on BaT. Probably not too far, if at all, above $30k, but I think you could get there with good presentation, photos, maintenance, and correspondence in the listing comments.

Sellers have been a bit better on reserves and there haven’t been hardly any 80s with reserve not met.

Having >200k miles is a big deal I’ve seen.

Here are some recent comps:

Last edited:
$64,600.07

Until the Moderator decides whether this is Classifieds or Chat (not really tech) I'll play, my guess is $175, 000, easy. ;)

OK, maybe I'm a bit high, minus $$$ for the girly color I'd say $9500.00 pending inspection. :p

Numbers are all over the place, super inflation began a few years ago, people (and strawmen) at least some with sudden Bitcoin or stock market profits were bidding up prices to stupid levels. That was then.

Prices are coming back down to reasonable levels even with the flippers
and scalpers who place a crazy number on ebay or BAT then point to that high number when they sell it locally. It's a scam that's been going on for many years now. Problem is, people don't see what's happening and they paid the inflated prices because they have (had) money to burn.

The true value is what you can get for it from someone who wants that particular vehicle.

My two cents.

I think it’d go for more than $25k on BaT. Probably not too far, if at all, above $30k, but I think you could get there with good presentation, photos, maintenance, and correspondence in the listing comments.

Sellers have been a bit better on reserves and there haven’t been hardly any 80s with reserve not met.

Funny that the third one listed there was purchased in 2021, had some upgrades and maintenance done, and was only bid to $10k under the previous purchase price less than 2 years later.

Why would you sell your 80 or Tesla if you’re moving to Hawai’i? Both of those vehicles are the perfect modes of transport on that island. Take the Tesla everywhere on weekdays and take the 80 out on weekends. Normal ops.

What would you do with a full size truck and trailer in Hawaii ?

Why would you sell your 80 or Tesla if you’re moving to Hawai’i? Both of those vehicles are the perfect modes of transport on that island. Take the Tesla everywhere on weekdays and take the 80 out on weekends. Normal ops.
This would be my thought too....that said, everyone's situation is different.

For cruiser selling price, I'd put mid/upper $20's if you are a little patient or get a spot on BAT. If you do go to BAT, just be sure to be very organized with your details, answer questions quickly & honestly, & you'll get a good response. Some of the nicest cars fail on there because the seller is AWOL or too aloof to answer real questions thinking that the platform itself will pull top dollar (this was my dad's car so let me check, yada yada). I picked mine up on BAT last summer for a solid premium, but very happy with what I got and what I paid...a lot of my buying confidence came from a great knowledgeable seller that was actively engaged in answering ALL of my questions honestly no matter what the answer was (good or bad). Came down to a bidding war at the end and almost lost it to a sniper.

That said, a cruiser AND Tesla on HI would be trick in my opinion!

Agreed, which is why we were planning to pay to ship them but building a house with the Cruiser vs a truck would be a little bit of a hassle and the TModel3 is pretty small, and can't fit more than 1 set of golf clubs without having to fold down the rear seats... was thinking of getting a Rivian truck when they work out some of the kinks in their first model... still on the fence on selling or shipping

Thanks for the recent comps! I had completely forgotten about the BaT website... great place to start looking.

What would you do with a full size truck and trailer in Hawaii ?

I plan to build my house in Hawaii over the next couple years... Bought land there about 8 yrs ago, been a Proj. Mgr. for many years in my pre-retirement history and want to tackle building my own house as an owner-builder. I just finished with the designs and the survey is in the works so need to make some decisions around the vehicles cause it ain't gonna be cheap to ship two vehicles out there

Until the Moderator decides whether this is Classifieds or Chat (not really tech) I'll play, my guess is $175, 000, easy. ;)

OK, maybe I'm a bit high, minus $$$ for the girly color I'd say $9500.00 pending inspection. :p

Numbers are all over the place, super inflation began a few years ago, people (and strawmen) at least some with sudden Bitcoin or stock market profits were bidding up prices to stupid levels. That was then.

Prices are coming back down to reasonable levels even with the flippers
and scalpers who place a crazy number on ebay or BAT then point to that high number when they sell it locally. It's a scam that's been going on for many years now. Problem is, people don't see what's happening and they paid the inflated prices because they have (had) money to burn.

The true value is what you can get for it from someone who wants that particular vehicle.

My two cents.

Agreed on where to put this chat... We could talk about the upholstery that was recently done...

- I paid a local Phx AZ upholstery shop whose specializes in installing just the Katskin kits... I think I paid $1700 iirc for the two front seats, middle arm rest and 2nd row seats. They replaced some of the foam as the side bolsters are super tight again as is the drivers seat cushion. I looked up buying the Katskin Kit myself and would've spent the same amount without installation so I'm pretty sure I got a good deal all things considered.

Agreed on the girly color :rofl:

Back in 2001, there were NO FJ80's for sale in AZ... I asked a couple dealerships to let me know if they ever see one get traded in and sure enough, about 3 months later, I got a call that I needed to come in that day or it would be gone... no choice on color for sure and he divulged that others were pissed I bought it before it it their lot... he sent me to their paint shop to look at it as they were repainting the fender flares to get it ready for sale. Been loving seeing AZ wilderness for over 22 years now but its time to pack my bags and get back to my roots... Iirc, I paid $25K for a stock 5yr old FZJ80 with 45k miles in 2001.

Agreed on the whole flipper scams... both in terms of cars and homes. I've owned all my vehicles long term and same with our houses... Nothing irks me more than seeing flippers slap lipstick on a pig. Shoddy workmanship in most cases and in terms of homes, they come and go, max profit for doing next to nothing, they're not invested in the neighborhood or raising a family, its all for profit... both my kids are now paying CA home prices in AZ for their first homes ($400K & $500K) for starter homes... absolutely insane.

I plan to build my house in Hawaii over the next couple years... Bought land there about 8 yrs ago, been a Proj. Mgr. for many years in my pre-retirement history and want to tackle building my own house as an owner-builder. I just finished with the designs and the survey is in the works so need to make some decisions around the vehicles cause it ain't gonna be cheap to ship two vehicles out there
Gotcha, My back round is in construction and I have built three homes that I designed and built as owner- builder doing every thing my self with my wife and a helper and sometimes another carpenter. about the only thing I would sub out is the insulation and drywall.

The only thing more gratifying then designed and building your own home is still living in it 25 years later and owning it out right ;):clap:

I ran my small time construction company the same way, I did everything in house foundation through the roof and only worked on one project at a time.
This allowed me to do high end work with an emphasis on quality.

You can never get rich operating this way but you have very happy clients, pride in your work and a line of clients waiting for you to do there next project.

Your cruiser is very clean this tells me a lot, you take pride in what you do !! if I were you I would not let it go you well regret it later.
As for the Tesla there on every corner sell that and get your self a good used work truck. JMHO

I wish you the best with you endeavors!! :cool:

Prices are coming down big time. I feel like a lot of dealers are going to have to liquidate because they bought when prices were high. Car prices are going to continue to fall.

A lot of guys saying prices are falling, while yes prices in the car market are falling in general but desirable cars while they have definitely corrected as the crazy increase was unsustainable I don't think they are going to tank the way common cars will. You have to keep in mind that there is a lot of money flowing out there, the only people hurt by gas or food prices and things of that nature are people in set income jobs. Businesses are booming right now and the value of assets has skyrocketed, someone whose businesses and properties have tripled in value over the past few years isn't worried about another $20 at the pump. There is also the factor of people who were growing up wanting specialized 90's cars as kids are now old enough to afford them.

So while every day use vehicles are absolutely going to tank I don't see that with desirable vehicles, correct yes absolutely but not tank, and will eventually start appreciating again for clean well kept examples as they become harder to find. Right now you can still find that random truck here or there where the owner doesn't know what they have and it's just an old Toyota they are selling, that won't last too much longer.

That being said it's a good time to sell but I also think it will be a good time to sell in a year or two or ten. Look at houses, I remember a few years ago everyone said it was crazy to buy as houses were sky high and they're going to crash....hasn't happened and isn't going to happen. The only thing that's going to crash is some dumpy house in the hood that an investor doesn't even want, just like dumpy cars that people with cash don't want. They pumped so much money into the market that things will never go back down to where they were again, it would take a catastrophic event for that to happen and at that point you wouldn't be worried about buying cars. It's not even necessarily about market forecast, just all the money the pumped in has made money worth less so prices will be higher, this will just be the norm now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom