Lost all gears and od cracked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so here's the situation: I was driving my old trusty when I started to feel some slight hesitation like something was pulling me back a little bit like my e brake was engaged bit it didn't last long and I parked. I get back in it several hours later and try to put it in reverse and she doesn't wat to move like something is holding her, went into gear but it was like all my tired were locked. Finally got it rolling then started to hear pinging from my tranny area but felt it in my od handle. Like any gear head I get under the truck and to my surprise I see that there is this giant Crack in the case in of the od unit.
I now have learned this is a fairey unit (fitting name). I have lost all of my gears now that the whole unit is broken (due to my attempt to get home on this cold rainy night) and I do not wish to go back with this over drive kit or salvage it.
I've read that there is a way to return to the original set up. I do not know how and was wondering where I could get the plate to return back to the oem setup.
Oh and wassup everyone I'm new to the site and excited.

Read through this thread: Fairey Overdrive

Pay particular attention to posts by "Poser" and "65swb45" as they've likely got the most exposure to the fairey OD you have.

Search in this forum using 'fairey overdrive' will turn up more info if you feel a need.

You don't say if your truck is powered by the stock engine or something else. The Fairey is apparently not a particularly strong design so using it behind more power than it was designed around may explain the failure of yours.

Personally, I'd be looking at ways to get rid of it too, so I think you're right in not wanting to make it good.

Read through this thread: Fairey Overdrive

Pay particular attention to posts by "Poser" and "65swb45" as they've likely got the most exposure to the fairey OD you have.

Search in this forum using 'fairey overdrive' will turn up more info if you feel a need.

You don't say if your truck is powered by the stock engine or something else. The Fairey is apparently not a particularly strong design so using it behind more power than it was designed around may explain the failure of yours.

Personally, I'd be looking at ways to get rid of it too, so I think you're right in not wanting to make it good.

Thanks I'll check them out right now. And I did forget to mention that it is stock everything. I just think she finally gave up due to wear and tear. The vehicle has been driven from California to new York and then not but a couple of months ago from new York to oklahoma. 35 years, rust, and hard driving are not a fun mix

If you decide to trash it I would gladly send you OEM bolts for the four studs on back of the case. Easiest way I've found of removing the studs it double nut. Tightening them against each other then loosen the inner nut.

If you decide to trash it I would gladly send you OEM bolts for the four studs on back of the case. Easiest way I've found of removing the studs it double nut. Tightening them against each other then loosen the inner nut.
Yeah man I'm all about it. I assume your talking about the oem bolts for the transfer case? Idk what it all looks like under there so I don't know which inner bolt you are referring too but I appreciate all the help I can get

Quick question though. If the od went out would all of my gears be gone? I'm trying to determine if any damage has been done to the tranny

The OD body attached to the T case using the six bolt hoses for the cap that covered the tailshaft of the transmission. With Fairey overdrive the top four were replaced with studs. If your removing the overdrive remove the bottom piece.Take off the back cap and use a 1/2" drive to remove the special nut with threads on the outside. Then fish out the lock plate and then the second nut off the transmission tailshaft. That should allow the T case and overdrive to be pulled off the transmission once you remove the five bolts holding the T case to the transmission. To get the overdrive off the T case besides the bolts on the back of the T case a C clip needs to be remove from the from front side of the overdrive's version of input gear. This is going from memory as I haven't pulled one in years. Curious if this is a Fairey overdrive. 79/80 FJ40s it wasn't suppose to fit.

The OD body attached to the T case using the six bolt hoses for the cap that covered the tailshaft of the transmission. With Fairey overdrive the top four were replaced with studs. If your removing the overdrive remove the bottom piece.Take off the back cap and use a 1/2" drive to remove the special nut with threads on the outside. Then fish out the lock plate and then the second nut off the transmission tailshaft. That should allow the T case and overdrive to be pulled off the transmission once you remove the five bolts holding the T case to the transmission. To get the overdrive off the T case besides the bolts on the back of the T case a C clip needs to be remove from the from front side of the overdrive's version of input gear. This is going from memory as I haven't pulled one in years. Curious if this is a Fairey overdrive. 79/80 FJ40s it wasn't suppose to fit.
It does not. The guy who put it in "modified"my gas tank

Quick question though. If the od went out would all of my gears be gone? I'm trying to determine if any damage has been done to the tranny

Only damage you have to worry about on the transmission is the tailshaft. The overdrive could damage the idler gear in the T case. That could then damge the high low gears.

I appreciate all of the info guys. Already this has proven to be a great resource. I'm gonna wrench on it after this week or next due to college finals and post more info later

Okay guys so I finally got to tinkering with it today after a brutal week. I removed the bottom half or "oilpan" of the od unit removed all of the bolts and the c clamp holding the gears in place on the od shaft. Also managed to did assemble all of the linkage. Still can't get this darn thing off the T case. Is there a way to remove the o/d without removing the T case or must it be done together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom